Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I just bought my twin colt saa 4 3/4 with ivory grips and nickel. I took one out shooting, and at the end of the day, I noticed a squeaking sound when I cock the hammer. Sounds like it's from at least two spots, one of which sounds like a spring. How do I oil this new gun, and with what? Thanks for your imput.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Highplains
I just bought my twin colt saa 4 3/4 with ivory grips and nickel. I took one out shooting, and at the end of the day, I noticed a squeaking sound when I cock the hammer. Sounds like it's from at least two spots, one of which sounds like a spring. How do I oil this new gun, and with what? Thanks for your imput.
Depends on a couple of things. Is your Colt new or new-to-you? Assuming a new gun, it would then depend on how extensive your shooting session, again, assuming the gun was clean to begin with. If you're shooting regular smokeless, I'd just hit it with Rem Oil. Spray it liberally, making sure to get the barrel, cylinder and any of the interior you can access through the various holes.

For real dirty guns or ones that I've used with black powder, I disassemble the gun and scrub it with soapy, hot water. I then rinse thoroughly with HOT clean water, making sure to get all traces of soap off. I will then spray it down with a good water displacing oil or the like. Lastly I oil it and go over it with a rag to remove excess lubricant.

Obviously, I don't clean the grips the same way. Sorry to say, but I usually just wipe the grips clean with Rem Oil. This has worked for me with wood, gutta-percha, and even antique Elephant Ivory.

Make sure the oil and cleaner you use is compatible with nickel. Some solvents aren't.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Probably not related to your "squeak" but since these are new revolvers, this could be good info to preserve your cylinder finish:

When you cock the gun, NEVER lower the hammer from half-cock. Always bring the hammer back completely to full-cock, then lower it. Lowering the hammer from half-cock will create the infamous cylinder ring. A SAA Colt, or any of its imitators, should never have a cylinder ring unless it was mishandled, as stated above, or perhaps out of alignment/timing. Mishandling the gun is the more likely cause.

Enjoy your new toys.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The Ruger will have the ring no matter what. If a SAA needs timing you could also see the ring as the cylinder bolt is releasing at the wrong time.

Shooter ot the Holy Black,Warthog,Bold,Deadwood Marshal,Border Vigilante,So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joseywales
Probably not related to your "squeak" but since these are new revolvers, this could be good info to preserve your cylinder finish:

When you cock the gun, NEVER lower the hammer from half-cock. Always bring the hammer back completely to full-cock, then lower it. Lowering the hammer from half-cock will create the infamous cylinder ring. A SAA Colt, or any of its imitators, should never have a cylinder ring unless it was mishandled, as stated above, or perhaps out of alignment/timing. Mishandling the gun is the more likely cause.

Enjoy your new toys.
Most SA's are not closely enough fitted to avoid developing the ring.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.