Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What are your thoughts of the muzzy 3 blade broadheads?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are great, but the 4 blade are better.
Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a few of each i will send you... cheap! I cant get them to fly out of any bow I have ever owned to save my life. PM me if your interested and I will let you know what I got for sure and a price.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough!!! I shot a small buck right through the top of the head then out through the jaw then into the right lung. Dead in his tracks and the blades still in place!!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use 'em too. Fly like field points out of my bow.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too have a few I can send you, never shot worth a crap out of any bow I've ever used or owned. The four blades are certainly better, but if you're gonna use a four blade then why bother with anything but a slick trick. That is a proven base line 100% deadly flawless broadhead. I'm sure there are others as good, but going to the 125 slick trick eliminates all broadhead issues.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll echo JJ's sentiments for the Slick Trick's, they're all I use now.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot them, they worked fine for me. I do prefer the 4 blade setup though. Simple design that works every time. Here's a tip that might help. Tune your bow with field points that are 10-15 grains heaver than your broadhead. The extra weight of the tip will weaken the spine and match the spine when the longer broadhead is attached.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or tune your bow for the broadheads and call it good ;o) On another note, see if the heads shoot good without the blades, then put the blades in. If they fly radically different, then you know the problem. Most broadhead issues (good precision broadheads) are with the fletching, not the head. Always spin test the broadheads as well. There are a LOT of junk broadheads out that are really out of balance. They will never shoot good. You could avoid problems and just shoot slick tricks. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had an archery shop in the late 80's and picked up a bunch of sample muzzys to try and let the people try...I shot steel barrels,pieces of stone,and even cut a 50 cent piece into with the same head for all 3 shots.I got out of archery in 1994,was burn out and just got a bow Thursday to start back into it.OMG this stuff has changed,The Bow,arrows,rest,everything....except whats on the end of what is now call an arrow...3 blade MUZZY..Back in the day I was shoot a 2213 XX75 at 26in 4in 4 flech with 130gr Muzzy,and could shot 5 for 5 in a 8in pie pan at 75 yards.Never had an thing fly that good in my life.

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to back HeavyMetal on this one.

I too worked in a proshop from the mid eighties to early nineties. Have shot Muzzy's for @ 20 years. Mostly 100-130 grain models. They and thunderheads have been my favorite broadheads for my compound bow set ups. Never had a problem getting them to shoot. Mostly shot the four blades though, and I shoot fingers so my setups never exceeded @ 265 fps. I have helped to set three blades up on others bows to @ 280 fps and they shot well.

I have never had one fail on an animal as long as I shot straight, some even saved my errors and took the game cleanly anyway. I have seen several hundred deer and hogs taken with muzzy's. They just plain work on game. Easy to get extremely sharp as well. They have been as good as anything else I have tried.

Slick tricks didn't get to my neck of the woods till a couple of years ago, so I have never tried them. Those that do seem to like them. But being that you asked about Muzzy's, I like them alot. I would take the extras off of the other posters hand and shoot them out of a well tuned bow and just go hunt. They kill a lot more reliably than most expandables. Notice, I said reliably, not faster, or more dramatically. I am switching back from the standard Rage two blades. I had several of these exit on an angle that they were not shot at over the last couple of years. Never had that happen with my Muzzy's.

I could, and still can, shoot atleast 4 out of every 5 shots into a dixie cup at 50 yards shooting fingers and pins. So I know they will shoot if you tune them right, atleast up to the speeds I mentioned above.

I am currently setting up a crossbow for a friend that does not bow hunt for the upcoming season, (Maryland just opened the whole archery season to crossbows). I chose the 3 blade 100 grain for the set up. I will let you know how they do at @ 300fps on a 20 inch bolt.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

T
T
With the three blade muzzys tuned to the fletching on my arrows they fly to the same point of impact as my field tips. I use Wasp SST Jackhammers When still hunting or from a stand but from inside a blind I use the fixed blade muzzy's with 4" vanes. The Wasps get the arrows with the blazers.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
had to turn up the volum on the Parked to get em to fly for me today,but all I can say is OMG!!!!!This new junk is fast.Was shooting 252 at 57lbs with points,have no clue what i'm getting now.But shes quick and dead on with the little 3 blade.

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The crossbow shot 100 grain three blade muzzy's (Part #225 I think) into little tiny groups, I hit the first shaft with the second before I switched to a five spot, at 293fps on a 20 inch Easton carbon bolt with four inch low profile vanes at 30 yards. All I did was assemble them and spin check for alignment.

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
SLick Tricks are better.
That being said, wife shot muzzy 3 blades in all her bows for years... never had any issue getting them to shoot, that would be a tuning issue and most folks don't take the time to tune properly.

I don't care for non COC heads but I've shot 2 deer with muzzy and they were fine.... we've pulled her heads out of rocks and trees, replaced the front cone and blades and the shot fine.

thndrchiken... if thats open on impact jackhammers... just be aware I"ve had 3 failures to open with them... they were another foray into the open on impact heads... of which I'm not going back to ever again. When they open, they are fine... wife killed with them and so did I... but I had too many issues with them on game to waste more time.. though they did almost cut a fox in half for me once....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rost 495,
Try taking the blades out of the muzzy then remount the tips. Use a fine toothed mill bastard, file from back to front of the trocar points down two "blades" at one time evenly on all three sets of two edges. They will sharpen up with little effort. They do not need to be razor sharp, just take the flat spots off of the leading edges. Do not take too much off of the trocar shape though. It works to shatter bone and stretch the hide before the blades cut it. They penetrate like COC heads when sharpened up slightly. This is what we do for hogs. It makes a good head even better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've shot probably more hogs than the average joe with a bow over the years.... not more than all folks but a LOT...

We have always worked on the tips on muzzy type heads.. I run them a hair with a file and then buff them so they are sharp and slick.

Bottom line, NOTHING penetrates as good as a COC head. Had my wife used a muzzy on her 350plus pound boar we might not have been in good shape.. the shields alone were over 2.5 inches.. not counting fat and skin... shooting a 42 pound bow.... and a Zwickey head the broadhead ended up sticking out the other side of the hide.... didn't hurt that it had gone through the heart either... but we hung that hog and shot it with a muzzy and with my heavier bow and a Black Diamond... mine made it almost all the way out but the vanes snagged it... the muzzy head made it in about 6 inches....

I"ve yet to shoot anyting with a slick trick but they are well built and fly well too!

As to sharpness... I buff every blade we have with a cardboard wheel.. factory sharp isn't good enough IMHO. Good enough to kill but not to make me happy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not going to tell you that they will cut as well as COC while trying to shoot through both shoulder sheilds of a 350# hog with a 40 pound bow. Cut me some slack. You did not supply all of the information.

I too have taken my fair share of deer and hogs with a bow. You are preaching to the choir on that topic. Been a Stickbow hunter for more that 20 years. More than half of those shooting Bear Razorheads, Snuffers, Zwickey Deltas, and Wensel/Three Rivers Woodsmans. I just happen to shoot a compound as well, when the mood dictates. I too do not use a factory edge until I sharpen them up to the "frighteningly sharp" stage.

You had not mentioned working on the tips of the Muzzy's. Nor did you mention light poundage/short draw length, etc. I brought it up as you never know what the experiences are of the person you are talking to...sorry to offend.

A modified Muzzy is as close to a COC in the animals I have seen shot, shot myself, helped to drag, helped to skin with a standard compound bow hunting set up for a man,(60-80#, 27-31 inch draw, 240-300 fps with a middle weight shaft for length...say 400-500 grains complete), as any cone/chizel/pyramid headed broadhead I have ever seen or shot into big game. My point was that they penetrate very well...better than most other broadheads of their design, and they hold together when the shot does not go as planned. I have seen a muzzy 130 grain on a 2213 shaft shot at 237 fps sticking 8 inches out of the opposite side of a 200# bucks pelvis bone after going through the near side of the same bone. Bent two of the four blades but they were still intact.

I have had complete pass through on hogs up to 240# with, 500 grain carbon shaft with 115 gr Muzzy 4 blade going @ 246 fps, through both side shields. Something my 600 grain wood shafted Delta 4 blades from a 65# recurve had a hard time duplicating at @ 200 fps on roughly the same size boar. It was sticking out @ 4 inches on the opposite side.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You didn't offend... at all.. just saying, no way even a modified Muzzy or slik trik would penetrate like a COC head would. Regardless of weight of bow, arrow, game etc..

I simply sometimes dont' have time to do all the stuff I used to and we used to then grab a muzzy and hunt...

I loved bowhunting but its just too time consuming for my life right now.. but if it came to push to shove, COC for when I really need it.... deer you don't need much.....

You mention snuffers... still one of my deer favorites in 200 grainers.... file em down some and buff em... big hole and not much can stop em. They don't penetrate on hogs like a black diamond did though.

Same page we are on! BTW my stickbow is brackenbury from before he drowned but a new set of limbs from the guy(cousin?) that he mentored...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With you on that. I was a rep for Allegheny Mountain Bows during the late eighties and through the nineties. Bill Kerner was another one of those innovators that was just an interesting fellow to let talk. I still hunt with one of his custom takedowns and a Robertson Stykbow one piece Peregrines.

If you ever go back to the bow you might want to try the Three River Woodsmans. They out penetrate the snuffers and sharpen without having to retemper. Those first snuffers were some really hard metal, BIG holes though. The Woodsmans also come in several elite models that are one piece screw ins. I have taken several animals with them. They are a favorite for my wood shafts. I am set up with the Muzzy Phantoms(COC's)for the compound for this year. In the past, I too much preffered the Zwickey Deltas on hogs for stickbows.

Good Luck this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 71 invisible), 3,383 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,439
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.