Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
When I get home from hell here in the big sandbox, and off military orders early this fall I plan to do an Africa hunt for plains game. She says great I've earned it, but she wants to come as an observer. Not too sure if she will enjoy it, especially after a couple of days. I hope there is a spa around, not that she is high maintenance, but deserves it after being mom and dad while I'm gone. Anyone bring their wife and did she like it?
I hope that I can afford it. I'm emailing Cruiser in SA and Bushwhack in Namibia. I'm just looking for a first time $basic$ hunt. Are the sucess rates good? I missing hunting and fishing at home in Alaska this year. Thanks in advance,

GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hidy and glad you are coming home. I've been to RSA twice now, both times with JJHack of this forum. First time, I took my wife (she's been with me thru a 40 yr GI career) and she had a blast. Hasn't stopped talking about it. Second time, I took my son fresh back from Afghan with 1stID. We had a great time and a fine hunt. I think you can't go wrong taking family, particularly with JJ. You'll love it.

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
A
OP Offline
A
JP were you lucky enough to get all of your game?

F4s huh? worked RF-4C's in Germany in early 1980s. Love em!, at least now that I don't work on them pigs.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
pm sent

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alaska, that is a wonderful gift from your wife and I hope you can pull it off! hopefully she's been saving all that combat and tax free extra pay for you! Some great advice here. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
We (my Wife and I) went on a PG hunt in RSA last fall. My wife is a hunter also, but we decided we did'nt need two of anything, so she was the videographer, observer and coach for the trip. Our success rate was 100%, but that said you never know what will come as the days go on. Take what comes as it comes. I was beginning to wonder if I would get the Bushbuck that I had on my ticket, and all of a sudden, there he was and done deal. We went on to finish our schedule and even had time to do a little sight seeing. I can hook you up with our agent if you want, send a PM if interested.
Have fun

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Alaskahunter,
You probably don't have much time to cruise these boards, but if you did, you'd find that there are a good many guys who take their wives with them on safari. There are many different hunts in many countries that can accomodate a non-hunting observer as they call them. As long as your wife doesn't mind being outdoors, she should be happy. There are definitely places in South Africa that are more like spas where the wife can be pampered during the day, such as with massages and shopping or lying by the pool, while you're out hunting. If your wife likes to get out and ride around in the truck with you and even follow you on a stalk, all the better and almost every safari hunt in any country is more than happy to allow your wife to do that. As long as you don't mind having your wife in camp while you're hunting, I can't think of any reason not to bring her no matter where or what you hunt. And, by the way, the success rates for most animals in Africa are very high compared to the US. Granted, you may have to really hunt hard to get the animal you're after, but the animal populations, in general, are very high and the opportunities are very numerous compared to what we are used to in the states. There are plenty of folks here on this board who have much more experience than me that I'm sure will be willing to help you sort everything out. Follow their advice and you should be golden.
Test

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife of 33 years (we grew up as married kids) and I went in 2009. She had such a good time including stalking, and dragging/loading game with us that she was making plans for the next trip before the end of the last. She refused to shoot because she wanted to be the first trip a fulfillment of my dreams. She shot the rifles during sight in to confirm my POI was correct. The next hunt she agrees will be a 2x1 combination trophy/cull hunt. My wife is a woman's woman, as well as my full time paramedic partner. We did three days at a five star hotel with the nice things she deserves.

Enjoy the time with your wife, and get back into the lover role again.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Oh boy, you are going to get a ton of advice. We went here, on our 1st safari, in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

Four of us wnt, and a great time was had, by all. Thanks for serving our country, you deserve a great safari! PM me if you want to. PS, your wife will love the lodging....grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/23/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Namibia for a first safari...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Last edited by agazain; 08/24/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take your wife, and plan more time than just hunting. Take the first week or so and just rove around looking at stuff...that way you get adapted to the atmosphere, the sky, the vegetation and the wildlife before looking at it through the scope to shoot. Made a huge difference to me -- to say nothing of overcoming the effect of taking three days of flying to get from Alaska to Africa.

Definitely a great trip...just plan enough time to really enjoy it...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My ex-wife went along (we were married at the time), and dad brought my mom, on the trip I gave dad for Father's Day 2007.

It was fun for everyone. I was afraid mom and my ex would get bored, but they didn't. Certainly no shopping to be done (except in Bulawayo on the last day at an open-air market), but just the experience was enough to keep the girls interested for 10 days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife went with me and had a blast. She did not hunt, but the camp staff made a point of entertaining her with a mix of things (drive to town one day to shop, etc.) We did a week of photo safari first which we both loved. Gave us a chance to get over jet-lag, temp difference, etc. Also gave me a chance to get used to judging body size of animals for distance, etc.

My only warning is that if you take her, be prepared for her to be the ramrod pushing you to go a second time!

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
A
OP Offline
A
Wow tickets to Namibia seem 3 to 4 times more than RSA. Anyone know a current smoking deal on either place?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Is this a bad idea???? It is more expensive for airfare, then a $250 per person airport pick up fee which would be $500 for my wife and I, and I'm not sure if that covers droping us off for departure for home or if that is an additional $500. The drive is 5 hours.

We are still struggling to try to pull enough money together. That could be an indication that we just may need to wait until the kids are gone. Airline costs are terrible.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
June tickets are high season,thus the reason for the increased cost. I'll be in Namib for June 2011 myself and my two tix will be at or about the 5K range.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alaskahunter
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Is this a bad idea???? It is more expensive for airfare, then a $250 per person airport pick up fee which would be $500 for my wife and I, and I'm not sure if that covers droping us off for departure for home or if that is an additional $500. The drive is 5 hours.

We are still struggling to try to pull enough money together. That could be an indication that we just may need to wait until the kids are gone. Airline costs are terrible.

What was said about high season ticket prices is correct. If you could go in April, or October, the tickets would be somewhat cheaper. Again, I would look at cruiser safaris that I posted earlier in this thread. They have a great 10 day 6 animal package. Also no charge to get you to camp, and back to Johannesburg. Also, they can set you up for other non hunting tours. They have over 150,000 acres to hunt on, on several different properties. Time you add up all the other expenses, you can hunt RSA relatively inexpensively. If you want more details, feel free to pm me.

maddog

A
OP Offline
A
DID it!!! and going to have to eat bologna for a while.

We have an RSA Cruiser safari.!!!!!

I have to trvl through Amsterdam. Is it difficult to get the Dutch permission forms to travel through with a gun or two?
How long does the permission take?

Also, is it more expensive to bring two rifles (in a double case) to RSA versus only one?
Anyone use Afton House contacts to pre-clear them? how did it work out and price???

Thanks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why do you have to go thru Amsterdam? Fly Delta to Atlanta, and take the nonstop to Johannesburg. When we went with Cruiser, Bob walked us through the Saps 520. We didn't use the meet/greet. Having said that, my son and I are going to Zim, next summer. when I book the overnite, with Afton, I'm going to inquire about the meet/greet, since we are going on to Zim, the next day.

You and your wife will have a wonderful hunt with cruiser. Listen to Bob, do everything he says, and thoroughly enjoy your trip! Need any advice, pm me.

maddog

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.