Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I decided I wanted a custom rifle for coyote's. I always wanted a cartridge that wasn't that common, and I also wanted to do it on a cheaper budget as it is a coyote rifle. Well I got it back today.

Savage Model 11 with detachable mag
Timney trigger at about 1.75 lbs
Shillen matte barrel varmint contour in .220 Ackley 1-9 twist
HS precision stock in winter camo
Ken Farrel 20MOA base
Burris signature zee rings
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44
Bedded and bolt timed
Larger winter marksman knob

No local smith wanted to tackle trying to make this feed. The guy that I got the barrel through managed to get 4 rounds to feed like butter. I am super busy right now but will get better pics up once the scope is mounted

[Linked Image]

I loaded up 100 rounds to fireform the other day. I just picked a mild load of IMR 4064 behind some 50gr Barnes Varmint Grenade's that I didn't think I would ever use. I just used OAL for a 60gr bullet and slapped them together. I wasn't hoping for much with no load development. If I could get 1 1/2 " groups atleast I could use them this winter for coyotes.

I got out to the range today and it was chillly and overcast with a breeze. It took three shots to get a close zero. Then I adjusted the scope shot a 3 round group, adjusted to fine tune the zero then fired another 3 shot group. so the bottom two targets are shots 4/5/6 and 7/8/9 out of this rifle. Squares are 1 inch shot at 100yards

I was quite surprised and it makes me want to get my but in gear and get going on load development with the 75gr A-max I plan to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking I'll try for better pics later in the week

Jason

Last edited by Jayph; 08/29/10.

If Iam not hunting, Iam thinking about hunting.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. How fast will it sling the AMax?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Congrats Jason on the new rifle. I am about to take possession of a fast 22 when my gunsmith gets done with the finishing touches. Mine is a 22-6mm Ackley Improved. I plan on shooting 75 A-Max's also. Also going to try some 70 grain Berger VLD's. I'm going to smoke them as fast as I can. Post some more pics when you get it together.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What does "bolt timed" mean?

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT blueprint and idea. Been wanting to try a Vortex riflescope as the engineering, from what I read, sounds to be pretty cool. how are the optics?

Don't be afraid to just use the 50gr VG's, no flies on that bullet.

Great when a rifle comes together and exceeds our expectations, isn't it?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Very nice. How fast will it sling the AMax?

People with the cartridge I have talked too say 3500 is doable but I would guess and would be happy with 3350

J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
What does "bolt timed" mean?

Jeff

It means the bolt was timed with the handle to make the bolt lift effortless and smooth. Some savages come clunky and hard lifting. Mine was really bad.

J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by safariman
GREAT blueprint and idea. Been wanting to try a Vortex riflescope as the engineering, from what I read, sounds to be pretty cool. how are the optics?

Don't be afraid to just use the 50gr VG's, no flies on that bullet.

Great when a rifle comes together and exceeds our expectations, isn't it?

A quick review is this. I put the Vortex Viper up against the Bushnell Elite 6500 3 different times. From a glass stand point they are both good, you would need a machine to measure a winner I would call them equal. The bushnell won out in eye relief which wasn't a big deal as this gun doesn't have much recoil. The vortex won out when it came to elevation knob adjustments. The bushnell felt very mushy compared to the vortex which was crisp and percise. I plan to dial this scop alot so that was the deciding factor. I had to order the vortex in the reticle I wanted and the store screwed up and I had to wait for a second order. I ended up getting the scope $150 cheaper than planned as a sorry, so it was well worth it. The VIP warranty doesn't hurt either. I own 6 elite scopes as I once felt they were the best bang for your buck glass and performance and it will be vortex from now on for me. I also have leupold but that ranks in a different price bracket and the point of this gun was budget.

Last edited by Jayph; 08/30/10.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All 9 of my Savage 110 series rifles have "clunky" bolt handles, since they're not permanently attached to the body of the bolt how could they be anything but a little "clunky"? I guess what I'm asking is what is the process, or what are the steps, to "time a bolt"?

Jeff

J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
All 9 of my Savage 110 series rifles have "clunky" bolt handles, since they're not permanently attached to the body of the bolt how could they be anything but a little "clunky"? I guess what I'm asking is what is the process, or what are the steps, to "time a bolt"?

Jeff

I have no idea of the process. The guy that did it is big into savages and it's a service he offers. since I got the rifle back it's a simple lift with a pinky and watch the bolt slide back with the rifle at an angle. the first friend that handled the rifle said wow thats a smooth action for a savage.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Who did the work? If he has a web site, do you have a link?

Jeff

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow.

Yeah, give us a link for the savage dude.

I got a couple for him.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Unfourtunetly Iam in Canada and it would require export permits and import permits for you to send your rifles. As far as I know he is the only one offering the service in Canada. Guys have asked him on the canadian site and he keeps pretty quiet about how he does it.

Last edited by Jayph; 08/31/10.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh well, I guess that I'll just have to shoot Remingtons.

Jeff

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply offers bolt timming and bolt lift kits. www.SHARPSHOOTRSUPPLY.COM Not that i shoot savages.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I looked over at www.sharpshootersupply.com and couldn't find either bolt timming or bolt lift kits. Please help me find them.

I did find "true and time action" under "Other Gunsmithing Services" for $125.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BMT
Wow.

Yeah, give us a link for the savage dude.

I got a couple for him.

BMT

Here is Jerry's site. He might be able to put you onto someone in the US to do the timing...

http://www.mysticprecision.com/htm/services.php

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Sweet blueprint and fantastic results.

I'm in the process of building a pair of these for a buddy and me; one in 257 AI, and the other likely to be in 22-6mm Rem AI, both w/ Shilen tubes.

I've found the Savage to be a fantastic platform for what I call a "poor man's custom" that costs 1/3-1/2 of a Remington 700 of similiar grade but shoots just as well if not better, particularly because I can do a fair bit of the work myself.

I'm wondering how that 220 AI compares w/ the 22-6mm AI I'm thinking of going with?

I wish Bansner would inlet his stocks for the 11/110. I'd be all over that...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I contacted Mr. Teo and he said to go to Sharp Shooter Supply, so we appear to be caught in a "for - next" loop, since SSS doesn't list "bolt timing" anywhere on their site, or, if they do, I haven't found it.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's hoping that your 22-6mmAI doesn't eat barrel throats the way my 22-243 and 22-6mm did.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 12,993 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,271
Posts18,544,964
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.