Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
"Why Amsterdam"??? Because a Sato travel office did not know about gun hassle with Amsterdam. However, they got the tickets for $2000 (yes, that is two thousand) less than recommended Africa travel experts quoted. I'd love to go your way, but 2K is big bucks to me, and non-refundable tickets.
Thanks for the SAPS 520 advice, you just saved me about $100.

Anyway, does anyone know of a link with instructions for the Dutch Customs transit weapon application?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
alaskahunter, not stealing anything from this website, but go to accuratereloading.com. Join, and do a search. Then ask the question. There is a wealth of African safari Knowledge, over there.

maddog

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have been in the booking business for many years and it can work both ways..Some ladies can take a book and relax and read while you hunt and/or go along and film the hunt..but others will be a absolute pain and cause all manor of problems that can absolutly ruin a great hunt. Fortunatly the weaker sex as a rule can make the best of a bad situation and keep on smiling even though they are bored to death, tired of the bumpy all day rides in the bakki, or sitting in the bakki while you hunt as the bugs knaw on them, in many cases the weather is hot, perhaps humid, bugs can be a problem, sunburn, cold and whatever.. and some ladies absolutly love the total experience, others do not..One must remember a Safari is a hunting experience and that is all that it is..The glamor of King Solomans Mines just may not be there.

You might give some thougt to a hunt with a lodge and a swimming pool and that might help but I suggest that you take all this into consideration and sit down and talk to your wife and be honest with her and explain what I am telling you, for both your sakes and understand from the get go what this is all about. If she is an outdoor kind of gal, your probably good to go and she will absolutly love it, if not you may be in for it..:)This is not place to suger coat a hunting trip. Its half way around the world and there is not getting out once you commit.

Namibia and So. Africa are some of the more luxury camps, and the least costly btw, but boredom still exist for those who stay in camp, although they are waited on hand and foot, and in many cases a trip to town is availabe for shopping but probably only one or two days of that in a 10 day trip. Does she like to fish? that can be an option for the fisher lady as most concessions have great fishing. Take along a tape player and some movies, lots of options out there that help and too many to list here, but again its a hunting experience and your wifes adaptability is critical to the positive experience of your hunt, and only you know the answers to that.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Yep, got it all. Took a little fiddling with, but got everything eventually.

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Over fifteen years of arranging safaris to Africa we have sent several wives along on the trip, (We even had a couple get married while on safari in Zimbabwe and another go for honeymoon). Every wife that went came back glad they did and would absoulutely go back.

Last edited by tim416; 08/30/10.
IC B2

A
OP Offline
A
Good to hear. Before getting married, she hunted with me and got a caribou at 110 yards and then a Dahl Sheep up on McCall ridge in Alaska's Wrangell / St Ellias mountains. But that only cost a tank of gas and a week in a tent, and lots of packing. I proposed up there after she packed a sheep back and found the tent when I got misoriented. After having the last kid, she lost interest and perfers fine dinning over Mountain House or MREs. Being soaking wet for a week was also a turn off for her, as well as landing a tail dragger airplane on the side of a mountain. I'm sure she will enjoy a few days of it.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
You AND your wife will absolutely enjoy Cruisers. My wife does not hunt but had a blast going with us on all but one hunt . they do get indulged and pampered and will enjoy the pool and hot tub in camp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alaskahunter, you should take your wife along! Most outfits will have some extra activities that will keep your wife busy. Not so sure about in Namibia. Does she sandboard? But in SA there is heaps to do...and good shopping. If there are any specific questions that you need advise on, dont hesitate to ask.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Alaskahunter,

There are no luxury hunting lodges in Zambia. Nor do the hunting camps come with swimming pools or a spa. You cannot swim in our rivers and you lock your door (optional extra) at night. Probably a little on the raw side for your woman.

Cheers

Andrew

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Namibia for a first safari...

Yep...absolutely.....your wife will have a blast...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zambian
Alaskahunter,

There are no luxury hunting lodges in Zambia. Nor do the hunting camps come with swimming pools or a spa. You cannot swim in our rivers and you lock your door (optional extra) at night. Probably a little on the raw side for your woman.

Cheers

Andrew

Not for all women! My wife thoroughly enjoyed 16 days by Lake Iteshi-teshi, except when the elephants would feed near our hut at night. She seemed to think piling stuff in front of the reed door would keep them out. I didn't want to bring up the idea that the elephants could just use their trunk to take the roof off..........

There is always a side trip to Vic Falls for romance and luxury.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had the same issue in Dande North, Zim. Elephants fed right across the dry river bed and there were some good, green leafy tress over our huts at Maruru camp. Also my wife stayed back a few time we went out just to sit around relax and sunbathe. We saw her start to walk down collecting rocks and we chastized her for thinkking she was on some creek back in the states as there were baboons around not to mention lion tracks. Well sure enough the clients that came after us, his 15 year old son was on the same creek bed with a small trop of baboons about 100 yards away. All of a sudden a lioness came boiling out of the bush PAST THE KID and snapped up a screaming baboon. Yeah Zim and Zambia ain't racnh hunting in RSA. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've only been there once, so I am far from an authority. BUT! Dont forget the skeeter dope. Suckers are as big as hornets.

Wayne

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I took my wife this past March to Namibia. She has no interest in hunting and did not carry a gun but she walked along with us each day armed with her camera. She had a much better time than I expected and she wants to go back. We also took a side trip to Etosha National Park and that was worth doing. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I simply read the OP, and therefore i offer the same advice as i always do to first timers over here.

if you are a good hunter in the rest of the world you would probably be a good hunter over here. at least as far as plains game is concerned.

so as always i offer only 2 tips( because 1: you are a hunter so you are supposed to know the basics whether it is the rest of the world or Africa and 2, it(Africa) is not that difficult.

1) it may be Africa's winter when you visit, but the first thing you should pack is: sunscreen, and ad to that the tough stuff!!!

2) and the most important of all the things you can bring along by a long shot, is: a healthy sense of HOMOUR!!! Africa is third world, things tend to go wrong. even the best ph/outfitter will have problems. the question is not if something goes wrong, but more how will YOU react when something goes wrong!!! and believe me things go wrong, it is Africa, and thus simply part of the ultimate hunting challenge is the fact that stuff goes wrong, how will you define adversary!!! or will ADVERSARY DEFINE YOU???

"ke nako!!" it will be your time to shine!!

simply put: come with a smile, it will compliment your experience!!!

Last edited by LT_DAN; 10/07/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.