Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Wrap the breast in bacon, grill, eat the bacon and toss the breast.

OK - what's the best way to cook them, I know we can do better than the receipe above.

Spot

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
One of my favorites is:
make up a marinade w/ Raspberry Walnut Vinegarette salad dressing and equal part of Apricot Preserves and a splash of Dale's Sauce(totals about 2 cups per 12 breasts)--use half for marinade for 1-3 hrs., save other half of concoction for basting while on grill. PreHeat grill to 250-300*, place breasts (wrapped in bacon if you like) on grill for 10-15 minutes total, turning once at half-way point. Leave grill cover closed, key is 'don't overcook'.

Serve with side of steamed fresh squash, wild brown rice, a spoonful of hot chow-chow, and a Pinot Noir or red Zinfandel.

Makes yo' tongue slap yo' brains out!

Good hunting!--they ain't hard to kill, they's jes' hard to hit.

CF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I marinate the breast filets in italian dressing/worchestire sauce, then combine a chunk of pepper jack cheese, half a jalapeno, bacon wrap, and grill.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This recipe is fantastic. Try using El Pato sauce instead of the regular enchilada sauce:

Dove Enchiladas

8 Whole dove breasts; boned and coarsely chopped
3/4 c Onion; chopped
2 cl Garlic; minced
2 tb Vegetable oil
2 10-ounce cans enchilada sauce
8 Corn tortillas
2 tb + 2 tspns ripe olives, chopped
1 c (4 ounces) Cheddar cheese, shredded
Whole ripe olives

Saute dove, onion, nd garlic in oil until dove is browned; set aside.

Warm enchilada sauce in a skillet; remove from heat. Place tortillas, one at a time, in sauce. Let stand 1 minute or just until tortillas are softened. Set remaining sauce aside.

Spoon dove mixture evenly over each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon chopped olives and 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up tortillas, and place in a lightly greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish, seam side down. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas; bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Top with remaining cheese, and bake an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with olives. Yield: 4 servings.

Dove Enchiladas printer friendly version located here.
Click Back to return.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have marinated in a teriyaki style sauce with pineapple juice and soy, little bit of cayenne for some heat along with chunks of onion, pineapple, bell pepper, and skewered and grilled... made a bunch one night with some friends over.. all were eaten...and it was a mixed bag of doves and snipe...

Andrew
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
two weeks and counting.

IIRC the average number of shots per dove is 8.

Heheheheh... some hot barrels out there for sure.

Spot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The biggest secret to cooking any gamebird is to not overcook it. The longer they cook, the more they taste like liver.

The effect is enhanced with darker meat, but I have eaten ruffed grouse that was cooked so long it had some liver flavor.

Many recipes use sweet or spicy ingredients. These can help cover up the livery taste if the bird is cooked too long, but the sweet ingredients help because game usually lacks the fat that imparts a somewhat sweet taste to domestic meat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Getting to be that time of the year!

Charcoal grill and wood skewers.
Start the grill, breast the birds and clean them up. Slice a fresh jalapeno in thin slices and a clove of garlic (sliced in slivers).

Make a slice in each dove breast, add in piece of garlic and jalapeno, fill with cream cheese and wrap a piece of bacon around, put on the skewer (large long ones work, size that fits on your grill or fire coals).

They cook fast over the coals. Great eating!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mikem2. My favorite way is place a small water chestnut in the
vee space of the breast wrap well with a bacon slice and hold with
a tooth pick. You may want to salt & pepper plus some basting if you want and then grill in oven checking closely as you don't want to over cook. My self I just do chestnut & bacon and then a
light slightly tangy sauce to eat. You will find you can enjoy quite a few. Makes a good appetizer to start a wild game dinner
with. Bon Apatite (don't know French spelling) Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Northcountry -
That sounds great. Going to have to give it try this season. May be a good option for Goose breast cubed.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like them floured and fried along with biscuits and gravy. My wife makes a mean dove and rice casserole too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
slice of Jalapeno, slice of onion, put them in between the breasts, and wrap with bacon. Slapem on a hot grill and after u flip it the first time slather it with sweet/hot bbq... DAMN SURE, dont overcook them or you will be a hater..

I can eat them by the limit!

P
P
Like someone else sugested, soak in Teriaki sauce and grill over charcoal!! Turned out GREAT!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some good ideas in here for sure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of our families favorites is to take the breasts and fillet the two little chunks of meat off the bone and soak in salt water for several hours to a day in the refrigerator. Then drain the water and pat them dry. Take the meat and dip in egg batter and flour with bisquick brown them quickly in a hot skillet with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and a little lawry's season salt. Don't overcook! Then take the browned chunks of meat out and use the drippings and saute some onions, mushrooms and garlic in the same skillet and add a package or two of Brown Gravy mix and water and make a gravy. Then boil up some egg noodles, throw the breast pieces into the gravy and pour the gravy onto the noodles. Kind of like sirloin tips over noodles only better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,169
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.