B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Saskabush
Originally Posted by oldguns
Bob...your sooo right...there is no place like Alberta

Except Saskatchewan.

Outstanding place of course....if you live there.....as a non-resident,alien hunter I prefer Manitoba and Alberta smile

I do like the people and visiting the province,though.

JMHO.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I prefer hunting whitetails and mule deer in BC and Alberta ...

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alberta would be real expensive for a 140. There are quite a few places you could go for a 140 that cost half as much, or even less.

Very true but if the 140 was the only game in town..

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
ain't gonna happen in Alberta if you put in the time...if you just to take a 140 come to south Texas...

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mac84

If you went to Alberta with the idea that you'd shoot the first 140 you saw, you'd be paying too much for a hunt IMO and not giving yourself the opportunity that is out there. It would be like going to New Mexico on a guided hunt and shooting a 68" antelope in the first hour.....

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mac84
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alberta would be real expensive for a 140. There are quite a few places you could go for a 140 that cost half as much, or even less.

A 140 is a good buck in many places but central Canada is one place on the continent where a 150 and up is a distinct possibility,even if it does take some patience to see soemthing larger.If you shoot one early,then you made it the only game in town.

But many folks from parts of NA who have never seen a 140 have a tough time staying off the trigger,want to justify the cost of the hunt,so shoot the first 140-ish buck they see....Canadian hunting isn't like that and is a place to go maybe after you have shot lots of bucks and want something special.....and it has the genes to provide something special if you are patient.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
^^^^Please listen to the gentleman above me, he knows of what he speaks.

"After consulting an RCMP forensics expert, the federal tribunal officially published its verdict online this week, decreeing that Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, is definitely not a replica firearm."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Outstanding place of course....if you live there.....as a non-resident,alien hunter I prefer Manitoba and Alberta smile

I do like the people and visiting the province,though.

JMHO.

Please come again. If you ever are around Meadow Lake, I would be happy to show you around. Some people even think there are a few good deer here...

"After consulting an RCMP forensics expert, the federal tribunal officially published its verdict online this week, decreeing that Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, is definitely not a replica firearm."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Saskabush, I would love to do that and thank you!I have never been to that part of the province..... wink

My problem with hunting Sask is that they make me sit in stands......all day! grin

It's in my nature to want to wander a bit sometimes and that can get me in trouble in Sask.I have shot some wonderful bucks in Sask.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a hunting friend from Michigan that hunts Pierceland/Meadow Lake areas every year and takes some nice Whitetails...150-160 class deer...has a couple in the 170 class....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Saskabush

Please come again. If you ever are around Meadow Lake, I would be happy to show you around. Some people even think there are a few good deer here...

Saskabush-
How have the last several winters been in your neck of the woods? I'd always hunted the other side of your province - Carrot River area. I really have an itch to do SK or AB again next year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Saskabush if you let Skane come to Meadow Lake he will kill all the big one's because they run all over wherever he shows up...... grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What does the average Alberta whitetail hunt cost?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Saskabush, I would love to do that and thank you!I have never been to that part of the province..... wink

My problem with hunting Sask is that they make me sit in stands......all day! grin

It's in my nature to want to wander a bit sometimes and that can get me in trouble in Sask.I have shot some wonderful bucks in Sask.

Locals don't hunt from stands...It's just an easy way for outfitters to put clients on "easy deer". If a client sees 200 deer, he thinks he got a hunt of a lifetime. Maybe he did?

The outfitter just sits in the bush drinking coffee waiting to hear gun shot. After that it is all over.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by SKane

Saskabush-
How have the last several winters been in your neck of the woods? I'd always hunted the other side of your province - Carrot River area. I really have an itch to do SK or AB again next year.

The winters have been OK- however, the timber wolves are putting the hurt on the smaller/weaker deer in the forest.

I spend quite a bit of time in the forest, and there are still lots of big deer wandering around.

Carrot River has some excellent hunting. Here in the Meadow Lake / Green Lake area we spend more time in the forest than in the pasture. Good deer can be found in both areas.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've posted these before... I look more for big body, than big rack. I can't eat horns.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by Saskabush; 09/02/10.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Mac,
I sent you a P.M.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
What does the average Alberta whitetail hunt cost?

Calvin, it varies a bit with,IME, Manitoba traditionally being the least expensive,Sask sorta in the middle,with Alberta being the most expensive; mostly because the tags are owned by outfitters, and that is where you go to get them...outfitters have to pay a lot of money for them.

There will be a lot of overlap between the 3 provinces...shop around,find out who has the tags,and be prepared to go last minute,on short notice. This can make a hunt that is out of reach affordable....

I hesitate to post prices because it can vary a good deal;and since I have hunted the same outfit for over a decade, I don't really ask anymore; I just show up and pay.I know I will be treated fairly....I have generally paid in Central Canada from $2500 to app.$6k.

Your chances of killing a dream buck vary very slightly from one province to another....odds may be better in one or the other, overall,but Manitoba, Sask, and Alberta ALL offer the chance for the buck of a lifetime,as well as select areas of BC.If I could not,for example, afford Alberta ,I would without hesitation,go to,say,Manitoba.There are TOADS in all these provinces....

All of them are fabulous IME and I have never had a bad hunt in any of these provinces, have been treated just wonderfully in all three places,and thoroughly enjoy all my Canandian friends I have met up there.It is a wonderfulplace to hunt.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for that info!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Leo Shumas out of Barrhead ...Grizzly Outfitters...use to offer 10 day hunts for $3000...was a semi guided hunts...took you to the stand before daylight and left you there till dark...most areas you could hunt 2 different stands during the day...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.