Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Been thinking of buying pants and jacket for October/November hunts in Idaho. Temps range from 0 to 20 in the morn to 50 during the day. Just want something to survive a night in and still be comfortable during the day. Figure the mountain pants would be good but not sure on the jacket. Looking for info on anyone using a Celsius or Jetstream jacket. Would the pants be to hot during a day of hard hiking?

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have been using some form of Sitka clothing for the past few years. The Ascent pants are awesome, light, thin and very breathable. Not comfortable when sitting still in the cold with them alone. The 90% pants are thicker and would work well as long as you are active in the colder range you mentioned. I have worn them up to 70 degrees and not been too hot when not extremely active. Good all around pants but not as light as I want when 50+ and active. I don't have any personal experience with the Mountain pants but believe them to be a beefed up version of the Ascent. These days I rarely wear anything but the Ascent pants for an outer layer and use the Core and/or Traverse base layers when colder.

For Jackets I have used the 90%, Celsius and will be trying the Jetstream out this year. For the 90%, same opinion as the pants. The Celsius is warmer but not as warm as the name would lead you to believe. Tends to fit a bit more loosely than the 90%. Both breathe well but won't stop a strong cold wind. I chose to try out the Jetstream this year for the added wind protection since I usually have the Jacket on when less active. Feel and fit is more comparable to the 90%. No field experience with it yet but think it will be my favorite of the three.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Botill; 09/03/10.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thankyou, was looking for someone who has been in the field with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the mountain pants and shirt.

The pants are thin, giving very little insulation. I wear capilene 3 under them and they do well for October deer hunts. They wont be too warm for hiking, just might have to adjust what you wear under them. November would be iffy IMO. The 90% pants would be the ticket then.

The mountain shirt is a great piece of gear, probably my favorite. The shirt with a vest is usually all I need for most hunts in the 50 degree range. I dont have any of the jackets.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've used the Ascent and Jetstream this fall on several trips and have used the 90% products in years past. As already mentioned, the 90% pants are warmer than the Ascent pants. However, I have gone to using the Ascent pants exclusively with wool or capilene under and when really cold with my eVent shell pants over the top. This gets me thru most anything I anticipate on my hunts in September and October.

The Jetstream is my new favorite jacket. It blocks the wind better and has more insulation (by a small but noticeable margin) than the 90%. But to me the big selling point was the hood. IMHO it was a mistake when Sitka removed the hood off the original 90% Jacket years ago. The Jetstream keeps me warm when on the move by itself, but when sedentary I need an extra layer or two to keep warm.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (38HBWC, 35, 4th_point, 257 roberts, 9 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,021
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.