24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I don't have access to Doug Murray's book at my finger-tips. So, I need to ask: What is the distinguishing feature of a 99G over the other Pre-war models? I must confess I'm a pistolerlo, but, I'm hooked on the classics, especially the 99. What a beautiful machine!

Mine is a Model 99G
Chambered for 300 SVG
Ser. No. 363***
Date of Mfg. 1937 or 1938
Q stamped just above lever hinge point on receiver (probably inspectors stamp).
No lever boss code are evident.
Pistol Grip (very graceful lines)
V. Good wood, except on left side where possibly a Lyman peep sight may have been installed, and wood has been filed and rounded (slightly disfigured) for about 1�.
Fore-end grip is of the rounded design.
Cut Checkering on grip and fore-end is still very sharp.
Barrel length: 24�
D&T for one-piece Leupold scope mount w/3 x12 BSA. (econo-scope).
Rear sight on barrel remove and blank installed in dove-tail (aluminum).
Metal (aluminum) butt plate with screws on 3-3/8� centers.
Note: My guess this gun has less than 100 rounds fire through it over the past 72 years. No cracks in butt stock near receiver, very clean internally. Some wear on for end-screw slot only. I'll tear it down for a complete inspection in the near future. In the interim I'll evaluate it's accuracy using factory, and hand-loads.

Last edited by grtandberg; 08/28/10.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 99G is a take down with a schnoaeaoeoble tipped for-end and would have had a steel butt plate. Leverbosscode didnt start till 49.

Last edited by Grogel_Deluxe; 08/28/10.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
do you have any pictures?

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The drilled and tapped of course is not factory'

If you value your freedom, thank a VET
OP Offline
Mine is not a take-down. Definitely does NOT have a schnoable fore-end. I know the lever boss codes did NOT exist until 1949.

Last edited by grtandberg; 08/28/10.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Then it is not a G.
Probably a pre-war R.

Brian

Brian

OP Offline
Yes, I've taken a picture but having difficulty posting. Does HTML need to be enabled? The "G" is stamped on the leading edge of the receiver behind the fore-end. If it's not a 99G then where would I find the correct location of the code stamp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its LIKELY that the model is stamped into the front of the frame... remove the forearm, look at the front of the frame on the edges. It will likely be stamped with an 8 which will indicate its an R or RS. As stated before, the drill and taped holes for the scope mount are not factory original and unfortunately have a profound effect on value of a gun like this...guns with GREAT condition are worth a lot... guns with great condition and one glaring non-factory hole are worth about 50% or less... may not make sense but that's the way it is...

In the photography section of the campfire is a walk through on posting pics... you need a photobucket account or something similar...

Last edited by lovemy99; 08/29/10.

Andrew
OP Offline
OK folks, I don't know how I missed this, however there is also an "E" stamped on the leading edge on the RIGHT side of the receiver behind the fore-end grip, and a "G" stamped on the LEFT side. This I assume makes it an EG?

Thanks for all the help. I'll post photos after going through the instruction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
your gun has been restocked most likely

Andrew
IC B3

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=grtandberg]. This I assume makes it an EG?

NEVER assume ANYTHING with Savage. And no, that doesn't mean its an "EG"

Those are random inspector marks. Give the first 4 or 5 digits of the ser. # and that will tell what era were talking. Then from your description, a model will be determined. Poke around here, read some posts, process some data. There are like 54 "known" variations of the 1899/99 and several one-zees, two-zee's

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
RAM , glad to see your still here !! Don

OP Offline
Drew, I believe your correct. No S/N's on any wood pieces or butt plate. I also suspect it's been re-blued. Interesting; the stock bolt has been spliced. Very strange Root-Goldberg repair approach. Seems the previous owner had a stud with with 5/16 NF threads but it wasn't long enough, so he spliced a length of rod with 5/16" NC threads at opposite end, then used a jam nut at the butt end. Clever, but ugly. There doesn't appear to be much wear on any internal components, although everything was very dry. I ordered the correct stock bolt from Numrich this afternoon. If she shoots, looks like I'll have a good shooter and something I can pass down to my grandson.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it has a stamp like this then it started out as a 99EG. RAM is incorrect on them being random inspection stamps, they show up on most models from the late 20's up to around 1950. That's something new that we figured out in the last few years, RAM.

[Linked Image]

Originally it would have been a shotgun style buttplate on a pistol grip buttstock matched with a schnabel forearm. No checkering on an EG this early. 24" barrel for 300 Savage.

Would look like this without the checkering:

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
RAM, Thanks for pics. My 99 EG is stamped identical to one in the photo. S/N is 363***. I'm now thinking it was re-stocked and re-blued. I'm guessing the replacement stock wasn't counter-bored, so previous owner hollowed out a wide spot at the butt so he could install a jam-nut, the only problem was it now needed a longer stock-bolt, so he made one up. He ground each piece half-round and riveted them together. Clever, but ugly. I'm going to fix, but not sure what approach I'll use. Hopefully I can run an counter-bore bit down to the appropriate depth and use a Savage stock-bolt.

My son-in-law has a 99F in 308. It's about two pounds lighter than my EG (?). Scoped, 23" barrel, with a recoil pad. He says it kick like a mule.

I'm negotiating with my elderly neighbor to purchase his 99 in 300. Not sure what model, but looks like the one resting on your 5 point buck w/schnabel forearm and pistol grip. He hand-loads and still holds 1" groups at 100 yards. He's 88.

Thanks so much for the photo showing EG location. Very helpful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If your neighbor's rifle looks like mine and has the screw on the bottom of the forearm rather than a latch, then it's a 99EG also. If it had a latch, then it would be a takedown and be a 99G.

Good luck with that rifle, and bring us back some pics of it in action this fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One feature of the early G's that is especially desireable is that they were available with a hand rubbed varnish finish. When you find one in great condition it will stand out from all the others in your collection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You may have a parts gun, lots of them floating around these days. The 99G was a pre war gun that was manufactured between 1923 and was discontinued about 1945..It was a take down, had a shotgun butt and a pistol grip and a Schnabel forend. it came in 20, 22, and 24 inch barrel lengths contrary to popular belief or so I have been told by some very smart 99 collectors? It came in calibers 22 hi power, 30-30, 250-3000 and 300 savage. It is a very light and handy little rifle. Your serial number is close enough to be correst for a G..Keep in mind that when Savage changed models, lot of parts were left over and they had a way of using all of them..:) So never say never with a Savage.

The EG is the gun that made Savage famous..It is your every day go to town on Sunday Savage or deer camp on Fri...24 inch barrel, schnabel forend,non takedown, checkered walnut stock ala the picture above. It lean and mean but has some weight to make off hand shooting easy..A few were made in .308, 243, and 358 and a precious few showed up in .284, with 24 and 26 inch tubes, and those bring big bucks, these were left over parts guns I suspect. Like I said never say never with a Savage 99..If I am not mistaken the 99DE or Fs also showed up in 26 inch barrels in 284 caliber, can't remember which..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
EG's with 26" barrels? 284 EG's? 284 F's with 26" barrels? whistle

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
OP Offline
Today I just found that the person who restocked my 99EG drilled the stock for the stock bolt off center. They then repositioned the bit and finished boring from the opposite end. That explains why they cut the OEM stock bolt head off and spliced it to another piece of 5/16" rod all way to the butt, then used a jam nut to secure the stock to the action.

I found this out when I proceeded to counter-bore the stock to use the proper stock bolt. Unfortunately at the point where the two bores intersect is the location where counter-bore shoulder should stop. There simply is not enough material left in the stock to make it right.

So, I see three options. 1) put it back together using the two-piece cobbled stock bolt and jam nut and let it be. 2) fill the entire cavity with epoxy resin and re-drill the stock and counter bore properly. (I'll leave a pilot hole as guide. 3) purchase a new stock from Boydes and hope it matched my fore-end. The downside is the Boydes stock does not have the nice cut checkering of my fore-end.

PS. I'd post pictures but the instructions for posting are vague. You gotta see the two piece stock bolt. But more important, I really do have a nice 1938 99 EG.

This a shooter, not a collection piece. The question is: What product should I use to fill in the old hole(s) for stock bolt. It will need to be a material I can re-drill using a wood-bit. What should I use as a release agent on a pilot rod I'll epoxy around to insure I re-drill at proper angle. 40 years ago I would have used lamp black or candle wax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,568 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,504
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.