Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was on a Caribou hunt last weekend and we were riding our ATV's around looking for a good place to be on opening day.

Every time I get on my ATV I remind myself that if I start to tip the thing over I really don't want to put my leg out to steady the ATV. I really do tell myself that, but do I listen?

Below is what happens when you stick your leg out and get it caught between the ground and an ATV in motion. I didn't break any bones but it does look a LOT worse now than it did when I took this picture.

[Linked Image]

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
wow.. Hope you mend quickly.. That's gotta hurt!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You sure you didn't bust anything (I'm assuming you had an X-ray? I had a leg that looked like that and after a few days had an X-ray and sure enough I fractured my Fibula.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I will attest to the fact that putting your leg down when you drop the front wheel of a motorcycle into a railroad cut across the road at highway speed is not a good idea either. (I will say, however, that if you choose to do so, a good helmet and face shield {pre-full-coverage days} are valuable items to have.)

Last edited by 5sdad; 09/05/10. Reason: added information.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ouch! you were huntin those mean caribou.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You sure you didn't bust anything (I'm assuming you had an X-ray? I had a leg that looked like that and after a few days had an X-ray and sure enough I fractured my Fibula.

Yes, I went to the local clinic and had x-rays done. Nothing broken but when I got back to camp I spent a very pain filled night. Even with the drugs the doc gave me.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A friend of mine did that a few years ago on a hunting trip..blew off going to a doc, and just got drunk back at camp...3 AM rolls around to him moaning, asking us to take him to the ER. We get there, not 20 minutes later a nurse comes out and says he was taken in for an emergency surgery.."compartment syndrome" I think is what they called it.The doc said he was within hours, if not sooner of losing his leg..scary chit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thing to think about is keep it iced and elevated and hopefully avoid a blood clot. My dad had a blood clot a couple years ago from a similar accident and it was scary. Good luck and get well soon!

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ow! Hope you heal up fast. I did that when I was younger, on a damn three wheeler that didn't have the plates/guards that you can stand on, just had a foot peg.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Ouch in a big way! I hope you shot a nice Bou!

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Chitt, double Ouch!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You guys are making MY leg hurt.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Ouch in a big way! I hope you shot a nice Bou!

No Bou, no Moose. Just lots of pain filled nights and now I'm home after cutting the hunt trip short. This sucks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well, you are fortunate you didn't actually break your leg. Imagine how that would have felt?!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Still runnin an old Honda Big Red 3-wheeler with aggressive tires. Drop a leg on her and she'll be half-way up your back, via the leg, before you can blink. Instinct, I guess, hard not to when you're tippin. Hope you heal up okay.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
AlaskaFE,
How are you doing today? Any better?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ouch! Sorry about the accident, glad nothing is broken...but, could you give me the precentages, I think those colors would look good in a stock! whistle

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As many times as we hear about someone not "waking up" after rolling one of these machines, and as much as we forget how easily it can happen, and as much I'm sure you regret what happened, perhaps there is a silver lining. Glad it wasn't worse.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
AlaskaFE,
How are you doing today? Any better?

The red blotches are going away and it is mostly yellow and green now. shocked The pain is subsiding also which is a good thing. Overall, I'm getting better day by day. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sactoller
Ouch! Sorry about the accident, glad nothing is broken...but, could you give me the precentages, I think those colors would look good in a stock! whistle

LOL! Imagine a rainbow with equal amounts but different hues of red. Add 20% of yellowish green and you have my right leg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,558
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.