Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a single shot .410 that I use for "light duty" trail gun duties. I also have a 20 gauge single shot baikal which is a russian made gun. I was thinking of using my 20 gauge as mountain lion protection. I am leaning toward keeping it loaded with 2 1/2 inch 3/4 oz slugs. I also thought that #4 shot would be good too. Mountain lions have been making a comeback in my home state of Kentucky. Any thoughts will greatly be appreciated!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opinion, its like using a butter knife to tighten a screw, its better than anything if you don't have a screwdriver, especially if its an emergency. However, if I know I will be tightening screws I go get a nice Craftsman from the tool box. Taking on Mountain Lions with a 20 gauge shotgun is not something I would ever consider doing, unless it was an emergency. If I knew there were Mountain Lions in the area I would definitely consider something with some stopping power.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just keep a dog with you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The odds of being attacked by a mountain lion in Kentucky are mighty slim... snakes, feral dogs, pot growers, and meth operations are probably a much more realistic concern. If the inexpensive single shot 20 gauge gives you a comforting feeling when considering the pot growers and meth heads then it'd do just fine for mountain lions too considering the overall odds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Usually slugs don'r shoot where the "sights" say they should, so be warned. Personally, I'd prefer buckshot. Just pattern the gun and make sure you don't try for any longer shots. Close range, face on, or broadside shots.
Agree that lions are way down thew list of potential threats. A good thing. If they were, we'd have real problems with them. E

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a 20ga for predator hunting, 223/20ga O/U and a 20ga auto 21" barrel. With #2 Hevi-Shot I'm good for coyots out to about 35yrds. For self diffence I'd load with 3" #2 Buck or 2 3/4" #3 Buck. For personal protection you shouldn't have to reach out more than 10-15yrds.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"If I knew there were Mountain Lions in the area I would definitely consider something with some stopping power."

I believe that you greatly underrate the power of the 20. A 20 gauge leaves a .615" hole --- How much do you need? I've used 20s for deer for 40+ years without any issues and almost always one shot, one kill. The slugs typically plow right through and my last deer had the typical exit hole (heart/lung shot with federal truball), initially leaving a 3' wide blood trail. I have been noticing around here that more people are starting to recognize the potential of the 20. In this instance for close range protection, I would recommend buckshot. I agree on the potential inaccuracy of using a slug in the single shot at any distance.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would carry the Bubba Bazooka.

Thats the gun that Jim Varney had on Buckmasters when he was playing Bubba.

It's a 85 / 60 Whitney Houston, it will clear a hole through the brush like the Holland Tunnel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreenHornet47
"If I knew there were Mountain Lions in the area I would definitely consider something with some stopping power."

I believe that you greatly underrate the power of the 20. A 20 gauge leaves a .615" hole --- How much do you need? I've used 20s for deer for 40+ years without any issues and almost always one shot, one kill

Thats exactly how my wife would respond when I catch her using the butter knifes I was referring to as a screwdriver. She would say something like "I believe that you greatly underrate the effective ability of this knife to drive screws. I've been using it for years and the tip fits right in the head of the screw and it almost always works without fail."

The man simply asked a question and I gave my honest opinion. I don't underrate the power of the 20 gauge at all. I just believe there are better weapons suitable for what the poster described. If a 20 gauge is all someone has and is worried about "Mountain Lion Defense" and doesn't think they need anything heavier, then by all means thats their business.
Personally I have never seen a Mountain Lion on the offensive with a human being except in the movies. I have spotted them in West Texas and they were always headed in the opposite direction than what we were and way out of range of a 20 gauge shotgun. I tend to think of it this way. Lets say there is a "Killer Mountain Lion" on the loose and you have been employed to dispatch it. Are you loading up with a 20 gauge shotgun? Not me.

Throughout my years in law enforcement I've seen many human beings killed with small caliber weapons such as .22, .25 and .32 calibers. They definitely are effective man-stoppers, many times they were only shot one time. I still however choose to carry my .45 Government Model, why? Because its more effective than the others but I still have a .380 on my ankle in case I need it.

Bottom line, if you feel a 20 gauge is right for the job then by all means thats your choice.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clyde I would get myself a 12 gauge pumpgun (Mossberg or Remington) and load it up with slugs and 00-Buck Shot! Also use 3 inch shells by golly, mountain lions are nothing to give odds to on the score board, by carrying a single shot weapon. Now if your a pistol shot, you could carry a .357mag, .45acp, .45LC or.44 magnum in a shoulder holster and have the best of both worlds.

Now when it comes to wondering upon a pair of prospectors cooking "meth" I sure as hell want more than just a single shot 20 ga in my hands. If your not a pistol shot, this is where the pump-gun comes to light and affords the firepower and protection needed in case something were to happen ok, just food for thought. I don't believe any COP would venture into the woods or on the trails with a single shot shotgun period!!!

Last edited by Tonk; 10/09/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big cats in Ky?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
a 20ga slug at a close distance will kill clean any North American big game animal. Provided the shooter does his part by putting the slug where it needs to go.

Do you really feel you need big cat protection in KY? If so you are going to be close and it is all going to happen very fast so buckshot would be my choice.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (270wsmnutt, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,683
Posts18,534,399
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.