Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I can remember when I lived for deer hunting, how I looked forward to being with some seasoned hunters, listening to their hunting lore and stories in the warmth of a pot-bellied stove. But the decades kept passing, gradually, my hunting partners passed on or gave up hunting, land became harder to find, a bad back now precludes me from dragging a deer out of the woods and a knee replacement keeps me from climbing in hilly country.

Last November, my one remaining hunting partner, with a home in prime deer country, was terminally ill (he passed in February) and so I skipped the deer season. Looks like I'll sit out this season also.

But, I have my guns, some of which have been with me from the beginning. I can pick one up and be transported back to my memories, even remember the deer I'd taking with that particular rig. Strangely, hunting remains in my blood but now, I no longer hunt.

Last edited by federali; 09/12/10.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are more ways to still hunt, by teaching youngsters, firearms safety, hunting clinics etc. pass on that knowledge, keep the fire alive for up and coming generations. share your stories with them. I remember when I was a kid nothing could grab my attention like an elder taking time to tell me about his life experiences. maybe things are different but if you can impact just one kid, it makes it worth the effort.

thanks for sharing

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looks like it's time for a nice guided hunt!! don't have to be for a gigantic deer. Let them do the work for you and just remember to be there to tell them they're doing it wrong! it's what my ol'man did! grins

If you have the desire you can make it happen!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sad story. Personally I can't imagine being an X hunter. I still enjoy it as much today as when I was a kid. When I was a teenager, I couldn't sleep the night before buck season. 40+ years later I am still that way. Case in point - just last Friday at 11:00 pm, I talked to a guy abut a new elk hot spot and at 1:30 am I was still wide awake all wound up over the potential this place has.

If hunting still runs in your blood, then you need to hunt. Seek out a new partner and adjust your tactics to your physical limitations but get out there and hunt.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So much of it is the people we share the adventure with.It is an adventure to many.Friends pass away.I understand.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the fun of it now should be finding new people to share it with....

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Without friends hunting isn't nearly as much fun. I have been on 1x1 guided hunts and killed some nice animals but didn't enjoy myself nearly as much as time spent hunting with friends and family.

I lost my Dad 15 seasons ago and miss him dearly.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My dad got sick a few a years ago and give up deer hunting. Even though he got over it he says its not worth the effort any more to kill a deer. He stills squirrel hunts a few times a year and will follow my english pointers around alot once bird season opens. He still likes guns and shoots all the time.

Once your older I think its just easier to hunt things that are easier to haul out of the woods.

Dink

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i'd like to hunt more but i am basically, for now, a wanna-be. i have been working all the time and trying to get my debt paid off and getting established in my career, and i have basically had to skip much of the hunting i would love to do. i used to be out in the woods a heck of a lot more than i am now.

i cannot wait to have the time and money to shoot and hunt as much as i want to.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 09/12/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i cannot wait to have the time and money to shoot and hunt as much as i want to. [/quote]

grin

That will never happen for me. So for now, I still spend as much time outdoors as possible.
I am lucky to have good health and found some good hunting partners my age or younger.
And I enjoy it more than ever. Especially if one of the family gets a deer.
This will be my 46th deer season hunting.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 09/13/10.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not an X deer hunter but I am not near as mad at them deer as I used to be. grin

BCR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Out of a group of maybe 10 friends that used to hunt and shoot together,only one hunts anymore,and he does not do too much of it.I am the only one left who still pursues it avidly.For a good many years I spent range time and hunting trips pretty much by myself,my love for the sport itself keeping me going.

But I met other,younger hunters to take their place.

So, my "new" friends are younger,and include my son who is back into it after taking time off to do what young guys do.

Essential that we keep going as we age and people drop out of the activity,because I learned a long time ago, if you depend on other people for your hunting you won't do much of it,and you will be dead a very long time,which is of course unacceptable....... so my advise to anyone is to keep hunting as long as you posiibly can.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned firearms from age 13 to (now) 46. besides a few hunts in hi school I only a few years ago picked up the urge to hunt at all.

we lost our deer lease this year, so my hunting will be few & far between. Oh well, there will be other years.

Sorry for your loss. Your friend now hunts ont he plains of Heaven. We should also be so blessed

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Federali,
I pop up my Ameristep Doghouse in the den in front of the t.v.. I will watch the hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel from inside sitting in my favorite hunting chair. When my grand daughter is old enough she will join me. Often it transports me to those memories you speak of when her mother sat beside me in that blind afield..

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once used the term x-marine to a guy in one of my college classes. He said "Hell no, I didn't divorce the corps" The same spirit applies to a hunter. You'll always be a hunter, if I ever make it to NY I'll come drag the deer out for you.

Last edited by AKBoater; 09/13/10.

Deal with it.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've likely done 98% of my hunting alone, when you move every 3 years you had best enjoy doing things on your own.

That said, I do enjoy a good pard but I believe finding a good hunting pard is more difficult than finding a wife.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've likely done 98% of my hunting alone, when you move every 3 years you had best enjoy doing things on your own.

That said, I do enjoy a good pard but I believe finding a good hunting pard is more difficult than finding a wife.

Especially so when most folks seem to think you a divorce is no big deal these days....
A hunting partner you want to find a good one for life.. thats a tough call.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Federali,
I pop up my Ameristep Doghouse in the den in front of the t.v.. I will watch the hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel from inside sitting in my favorite hunting chair. When my grand daughter is old enough she will join me. Often it transports me to those memories you speak of when her mother sat beside me in that blind afield..

Wow... I could see myself changing as I get older but I sure hope I'm never desperate enough to watch the crap they call hunting shows. No flames intended.. just can't call em hunting shows as they are mostly advertising junk.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
. finding a good hunting pard is more difficult than finding a wife.

THAT'S a sig line if I ever saw one!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Federali, My dad turned 88 last winter. He has had both hips replaced and one knee. Fortunatly he has a nice woods right out his back door. Family members built him a 8'x8' hunting cabin complete with an old caboose stove to keep him warm. That was important as he is on blood thinner as well. To make a long story short, he killed a basket racked 8 pointer. I think he is just as proud of that little buck as he is of his big ones he shot back years ago. With a little help from your friends it can still be very fulfilling. It has been alot of fun for us as well.

The hardest part is finding a big buck. The easiest part is getting "em" out. - Larry Benoit
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 673, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,423
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.