Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hi guys I have a semi custom win model 70 in 280 converted to a 280AI, and I would like to be able to seat my Berger 168 vld's to touch the lands. My mag box has a rear false wall that limits me to a COL of 3.380" and and if I remouve that false wal I gain an extra .200" of space. Now I know it is spot welded on there and I am sure it can be remouved but would the outcome be If i do this? Will my rounds feed properly? They do now.Will I have to do any other machining work to the the bolt stop? And would my mag follower need to be adjusted?
Thanks
Elme

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
elmerdeer,

You will have to shorten the ejector and bolt stop also to get it to feed. If you want to purchase new parts to the correct dimensions, call Winchester and get the ejector and bolt stop used in the longer calibers such as the 375H&H etc.

Headache

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Headache
elmerdeer,

You will have to shorten the ejector and bolt stop also to get it to feed. If you want to purchase new parts to the correct dimensions, call Winchester and get the ejector and bolt stop used in the longer calibers such as the 375H&H etc.

Headache

Thank you sir.
Elmer

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Its likely you will run into feeding problems if you do this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is most unlikely he will have any feeding problems.

Headache

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

Headache
A couple of question, will the 375H&H mag box fit my stock? Or is there another mag box that does not have the spacer that would fit the 280?
Thanks
Elmer

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Headache

ditto...I have a Model 70 with a 3.4" mag box and a short follower from a 308...it feeds 257 Wtb rounds like it was made for it.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elmerdeer
A couple of question, will the 375H&H mag box fit my stock?
It'll fit just fine.. However, it won't work just by itself.. You'll need a new follower and the bolt stop either needs to be modified or replaced..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Contact Wyatt Outdoor..

Kevin Wyatt over in Medford makes stuff like that...for those situations..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just purchased a M70 and found the same damn thing. The spacer they put in there really limits the OAL and I can't even come close to touching the lands with it there. About how much does it cost to get the new parts from Winchester?

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Call 1-800-322-4626, XT 2863 and ask..

One quick question: Why do you feel the need to 'touch' the lands??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Headache

For starters the H&H mag box does not have the tapered top part that the -06 based rounds mag box do. I have the parts on hand and have tried it.
Model 70 classics LA feed rails are all set up for magnum based rounds and use a mag box with tapered sides to get -06 based rounds to feed well. This works so so and many wont feed the last round.
Also keep in mind that if you use the follower for a -06 based box in an H&H length box it wont work worth a damn because of the followers length. Been there done that. That means you will have to use a H&H based follower which may or may not work.

IN regards to the wyatts boxs for model 70's. They are an abortion. Ask Redneck as he attemtped to straighten one out on a 300 win mag for me that another smith installed. Never could fix the thing and I ended up going back to a H&H box and 7mm stw follower.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It's not so much of a need to touch the lands, but the spacer in the mag limits the seating dept to a VERY strict 3.340.

The Hornady 180 SP sits at 3.462 OAL when just touching the lands, but the box length limits me to 3.340. That places the jump at .122 difference. Yea I know touching the rifling doesn't necessarily mean better accuracy, but it'd be nice to have the option to adjust the seating depth to figure out what the rifle likes rather than what the box will accept. It would also be nice to move the bullet out some so that the longer (180+gr Barnes) aren't jammed so far into the case reducing the powder capacity.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'd probably single feed some long rounds and check the accuracy before converting it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BTW I just tried a H&H length mag box in my model 70 classic in 270 and it wasn't even remotely workable. I also tried a 270 mag box with the spacer removed and it worked slightly better, but was not reliable enough that I would use it in the field.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by BWalker
BTW I just tried a H&H length mag box in my model 70 classic in 270 and it wasn't even remotely workable. I also tried a 270 mag box with the spacer removed and it worked slightly better, but was not reliable enough that I would use it in the field.

Hi guys this what I did, I remouved the spacer in the box trimmed it down epoxied the wall of the spacer back so now I have a solid mag box, Then I loaded it up to see how it feeds and I cycled the [bleep] out of it in as many positions and as fast and as slow as possible and I did find out what poster Headache said it would do. It had some probelms feeding because the extractor blade is to long.
It would get caught up under the extractor blade on the left side and start a double feed with the shell on the right. So I ordered the the extractor blade and bolt stop for the 375H&H and I think that will solve the probelem!
Thanks
Elmer

Last edited by elmerdeer; 09/13/10.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Good to hear elmer. How'd to remove the spacer box in the first place? I haven't had time to even take my rifle apart yet alone figure out how to remove it.

Oh yea, how much did the replacement parts cost?

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Turok
Good to hear elmer. How'd to remove the spacer box in the first place? I haven't had time to even take my rifle apart yet alone figure out how to remove it.

Oh yea, how much did the replacement parts cost?
Ok thats the fun part, I pop them off with a sharp flat blade as they are spot welded, or you can drill them off which might be cleaner. As far as the parts the bolt stop in canada cost me 25$ and the etractor blade was like 10$. So if your handy and have the tools its pretty simple you can have it done in an hour flat and put back together.
Elmer

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sweet deal! I'm glad to hear that you're in Canada. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to get the parts because that's where I am too. Please let me know how the new parts work out for you. I'm gonna let you be the Guinea pig on this one wink. I've got my fingers crossed that there aren't any problems. Especially since it's actually pretty cheap.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Turok
Sweet deal! I'm glad to hear that you're in Canada. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to get the parts because that's where I am too. Please let me know how the new parts work out for you. I'm gonna let you be the Guinea pig on this one wink. I've got my fingers crossed that there aren't any problems. Especially since it's actually pretty cheap.
NP, the place you can call for all types of parts in canada is western gun parts, but make sure you what you want to order with a parts number.
Elmer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 21, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,016
Posts18,481,606
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.