-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ran out to put up a 60 x 60 box stand at the end of my soybean field yesterday with my son and a college buddy of his.

Worked on that stand for 2 months and it was very nice. Had 14' legs so we had it on a trailer. Hooked the tractor to it and started up.

Told Ryan and his pal that when I got it to the tipping point and it started to come over and stand up, to grab the legs and make sure it didn't come over.

I've done this a 100 times but it seems I expected too much.

It came on up to the tipping point, I paused and Told them to nudge it on over. They did.

Pushed the phugger like they were trying to get tickets to a Britney Spears pole dance.

Then, instead of grabbing the legs as I had instructed, they just watched it come right on over and crash to the ground...

I built that stand by myself in 105 deg. heat. mad

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Then, instead of grabbing the legs as I had instructed, they just watched it come right on over and crash to the ground...

I built that stand by myself in 105 deg. heat. mad

laugh Deer in the headlights laugh

Ed
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry 'bout that loss, JohnMoses. Inexperienced children can be trying. You have a lifetime of experience and knowledge that they don't. My kids think I'm psychic because I can look at what they are doing and foretell the outcome. Its because I made many of the same mistakes they are now making. Unfortunately, its the only way they (we) learn - by making mistakes. If I were there, I'd help you rebuild the stand.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The things that kids DONT know will continue to shock you for the rest of your life.

Expect the unexpected. All you can know for sure is that stupid chit WILL happen, and you will never see it coming.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seen it happen myself.
Thank goodness no injuries.
We put up a 5 foot elevated blind Sat. Much nicer to work with.
Heat index was a little tough in S. TX. tired

stumpy

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You'd think your teenage boys and nephews would be smart enough to do something besides scratch their crotch and behind plus say I'm hungry.I have a 20ft. tower in s. Texas we routinely move and it's relatively easy if basic common sense guidelines are followed.Last time I went through the whole spill w/ my nephew and then told him to tie the rope onto the blind. He tied a good slip knot and as she came up the knot just kept slipping and after getting it hoisted almost erect the knot slipped and back down she went to the ground.Knot tying school began and about an hour later it was standing and all was well. It never ceases to amaze me why I don't just go ahead and do it by myself. powdr

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Make them build a new one in 106 degree heat whilst you sit in the shade with a cold drink giving orders.

Accountability is the only thing kids understand.

I always told my kids from a very small age, "When it comes to a battle of the will, I WILL win every time."

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I figured out how to do a lot of stuff by gettin the dumb stuff out of the way the first few times. Just sayin.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
reloader28 got it right.

Aim for the exit hole.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Sorry about your sudden increase in kindling. FWIW, I am of the strong opinion that ANY [bleep] my boys do that DOES NOT requier me to hire a good defence lawyer, I will be in the end be eternally greatfull to the good lord for his kindness. Because the good lord knows I sure as shell should have needed a good layer or two when I was growing up, but, again thanks to him, never did.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
safety chain/strap/rope is all I have to say.. won't put an elevated one up ever again without something on both sides....slow is good as you well know. Kids are not slow.... they go at rabbit speed... no wonder them young wimmens is never satisfied...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
JM; I don't know why anyone would think that is funny...
That's just awful. Kindling, huh?

.... whistle

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to disappoint you, (not really, I enjoy it smile there is no kindling, it was well built.)

I just have to stand it back up. Only board that broke was the top front cross brace where the roof attaches. ( I prefab the roof and drop it on once I stand it up, so no damage there).

Just have to get another tractor with a loader so I can get it off the ground and get it started back up.

Just a pain in the ass to keep fooling with it when I have other things I need to be doing. Gotta bush hog about 4 miles of road at our hunting club in Mississippi this weekend, then drive back over to Tensas and put up the stand.

Won't be watching any college ball this weekend.

JM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I didn't figure it fell apart, I just had to comment smile. I thought that if it had fallen apart, it wouldn't have withstood the rigors of someone climbing into it and spending the day. I know you're better than that, and I know you can take a ribbing...after all, you do shoot a Browning. grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just go ahead a kick a fella while he's down... wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.