-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Spent the weekend in Galveston and saw a very small, very strange boat in a guy's yard. The boat looked about 8' long and maybe 5' wide with sides only about 6-8" high. It had a center stand up console and about a 30 horse evinrude outboard mounted very high on what looked like a jack plate. The bottom looked flat (could have had a slight tunnel). I figure it was made for fishing very shallow flats. The only name I could see on one side said POMA.

I did a google search and found something similar, called a "chiquita", but, according to their website, the chiquita is 14'6" long and 7' wide, much larger than the boat I saw:
[Linked Image]

I'd never seen anything like it and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?? Looks like a good shallow water bowfishing rig! Wish I had taken a photo of the one I saw!!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They aren't common in the south, nor are they rate. Several of them roam the waters in my area.

They are wet....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That would be a HOOT in a 5 foot Lake Erie chop!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Same thing as the old scooters... totally sealed hull full of foam basically... you let water over.. just hang on in rough stuff plus its a flat bottom.

I've seen quite a few around at times... IIRC Academy may have sold them at one time or thats where I see most in Academy parking lots...

FWIW the ideal flats boat for me.. is my airboat... dry ground, water, you name it... only really sticky mud, really green grass and sand can stop an airboat basically.
No motor noise in the water means reds don't spook until we are literally on top of them, or the water wake hits em.. and they don't go very far.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, I have seen my share of them as well. Great for getting into the skinny water but they are really popular with the dedicated wade fishermen. Easy to get onto/off of when you reach your destination. You just have to make sure EVERYTHING is tied down...take a turn too hard and things will slide. Just ask my buddy about his tackle bag.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That motor has to get in fairly deep to pump water. What runs it when the water's too shallow?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's hard to tell from that picture - is that a prop?

A boat like that needs a jet.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
their common here

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That motor has to get in fairly deep to pump water. What runs it when the water's too shallow?

They normally plug the top sets of hole(s) in the lower unit so it doesn't suck air.

Me personally if I have to drive where I'm worried about my lower unit I'd rather use my go-devil powered boat, but it's not near as fast as a tunnel hull flats boat. But even if I run it on dry ground I don't have to worry about engine damage.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

They suck up too much mud down here. As long as you can get water in the bottom set of holes in a lower unit you'll be alright, even if the bottom of the prop is turning in mud.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these, maybe? I did own one for a while...

http://www.craigcat.com/

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nope, wasn't like that, but that looks like a blast!!

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Bout as rare as cheeseburgers in the Corpus area. They get used in the inland waters for trout, reds, black drum, and gigging flounder. Outside the shipping channels, water depths are commonly very shallow - what looks like a vast lake, is actually barely-covered land.

They work good for evening skinny-dippin' too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by ironbender

They suck up too much mud down here. As long as you can get water in the bottom set of holes in a lower unit you'll be alright, even if the bottom of the prop is turning in mud.

Nathan has it right.

Jets suck up too much mud. Alot of your dedicated flats rigs and tunnel hull skiffs are running low water pickups on the nose cone of the foot. A well outfitted skiff and a good operator can usually run in a foot of water or maybe a tad less in good conditions.

And then you have the john boats rigged with go-devils. Most of those rigs are are only used by duck hunters in this area though.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Found something that looks very close, it's a 10" Flatsmaster cove stalker.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's not a boat , that's a raft

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mine's a full tunnel,13.6 Dargel Scooter with a 60hp Etech.Wet and rough but she'll get skinny,run like a spotted ape, and is a hoot to fish from.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Most of the motors on those have lowered the water intakes too boot.

almost bought a mud motor, glad I didn't when I found they were a compromise vs buying the airboat... Last weekend it was very nice to be where NO one else could get... except 2 more of my fellow airboaters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.