I alway encounter other rifles in rough condition, well
used or "beaters" or truck gun or whatever you want to
call them. But I have never found a Ruger #1 for sale
in rough condition, they are almost always mint. Have
any of you found any? Regards, Jericho.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw one in 243 several years ago at a gun show. I started to buy it for a project, but passed it up for some reason. Kinda rough and they wanted $400.00+-

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there are a couple of reasons for it. In the first place, and the way I viewed things initially in owning a #1, I considered a pricey one banger as something to be carefully kept. Consequently, I did not take it out in the "cold" much. But I got over that. The second part which I think plays with some people is the idea that a one shooter may not be enough for a given situation, something that can certainly be true in some cases. Both of these scenarios can protect the #1s.

As for my uses, yes, sometimes I leave them in respect for the second situation, but I don't baby them mostly anymore. Yes, I have couple that show some wear, especially on the corners of wood and edges of metal. But what they've allowed me to do means a lot more than having perfect guns in my safe. And they still look better - in my eyes- than any Mcswirly I've laid eyes on.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The kind of people that buy and use #1's wouldn't dare trash one. A different breed indeed. Just my opinion.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The most-worn No. 1 I've ever seen was a .375 H&H that an outfitter I used to know here in Montana carried while guiding dude hunters in the Bob Marshall. It had seen some real use, a lot in saddle scabbards--and the way the rifle fit in a scabbard is one reason he used it.

I asked him if he carried for protection from grizzlies (in the back of my mind wondering why a single-shot for that purpose).

He said, "Nope, I use it for finishing off the elk my clients gut-shoot with their brand-new .338's!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've seen two. One was on gun broker and appeared to have a salt cured stock that had caused some serious metal corrosion. Another onhere in Anchorage, had the same symptoms though not as bad. I've seen some with some extensive use, but I have never seen one that appeared to be abused or "bubba'd up".

Anchorage, Alaska
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reckon "trashed" might be one description which might apply if I decided to sell my lovely old 45-70:

[Linked Image]

But I regard it as "well used" or better "used well". Yes there are freckles made by the cheap Cordura scabbard it sometimes resides in when in the boat, and the front sight is bare of finish, but she's like a good dog. She's always happy to please even when everything else is going wrong. (Really, I do try to take care of her; it's the darned bear fat and moose blood, not to mention occasional sea spray, which seem to be tough to avoid. grin )

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That'll buff out!

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

over the years i have bought two. both were from guys in ak that kept them on boats to shoot fish. one was in 270 win and the other was in 45-70 i think. paid less than 300 for each of them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have two No.1V rifles that I consider "truck guns"
One is in 223 with a painted stock but decent metal, the other is a 220 Swift with a fair bit of the blueing gone.
Both will become projects some day

I am one gun away from happy
IC B3

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the newer NIB #1s with wood from packing crates are instant beaters IMO.

I have seen and actually rejected a few #1s that were the worse for long exposure to rain w/o goood after care. Both had AH foreends and the finish was gone on the edges of the indentation so the wood there was swollen and cracked. The wood to metal fit also stood very "proud" due to swelling of the wood.

I have one salt wood #1S bicentennial in 300 WM with spectacular wood that I switched from another rifle/donor. The original wood was not that ugly, either but now it is a paper weight. The metal parts that were rusted in the action were replaced by Ruger. No evidence left now of the salt wood o n the gun itself.

1B

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 257Deland
The kind of people that buy and use #1's wouldn't dare trash one. A different breed indeed. Just my opinion.

Besides a guy that is going to get a No.1 knows he has one shot and that must be a good shot.. So to beat up one might take away from the accuracy.. Plus the guy also has a since of love for the rifle and the history behind it..

Now if you ever see my A-5 "jap" you will ask me if that is a joke... Can you say BATTLE SCARED... wink

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
seen one out of montana or Colorada on gun broker a few years back-was a #1b 257 roberts. The guy use to carry it in a scabbard as a "back up"-he told me on more than one occasion it was used to "salvage" the last day of an elk hunt by city slickers who could not hit anything with their 300 win mags or latest WSSM's...

Dave

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I reckon "trashed" might be one description which might apply if I decided to sell my lovely old 45-70:

[Linked Image]

But I regard it as "well used" or better "used well". Yes there are freckles made by the cheap Cordura scabbard it sometimes resides in when in the boat, and the front sight is bare of finish, but she's like a good dog. She's always happy to please even when everything else is going wrong. (Really, I do try to take care of her; it's the darned bear fat and moose blood, not to mention occasional sea spray, which seem to be tough to avoid. grin )

I would personally like to see more pictures of that rifle. Nothing well deserved wear on a rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was meaning to get at that today (even before you posted the idea), but, as usual, the day was a bit short on both ends. I gotta say, I am ashamed of nothing on it, and actually surprised that more hasn't appeared. Unfortunately, there is the Liberty 243 which which received an oceanic spray bath from a big retriever this summer. Those freckles trouble me not just a little. I do wish that Ruger still polished and blued a version of their 77s, and that the #1 got the high polish that the old MK II blued rifles got. That finish is more resistant to corrosion and wear than a low sheen. (Then again, the matte or brushed finishes which do tend to rust more easily are also more easily refinished with whatever flavor of rattle-can enamel you desire. grin )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A young friend who guides for elk and deer bought a stainless/laminated No. 1 in 7mm Rem Mag about nine years ago. It is now as close to a "beater" as I have seen in a No.1. The stock is pretty dinged up and there are a lot scratches and small nicks on the metal. It gets carried in a saddle scabbard a lot, as well as attached to his pack with a home-made gizmo. He usually goes out to check the scope with me at some point in the fall when I go shooting, and it still shoots like it did when it was new.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have no more qualms about thrashing a stainless laminate than I would a 10/22. Either is simply a tool in my view.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I would have no more qualms about thrashing a stainless laminate than I would a 10/22. Either is simply a tool in my view.

Klik,

I kind of have to agree with you on that assessment! A Ruger #1 is a beautiful and classy firearm. But IMHO, a SS/Laminate is merely a tool. They just do not exude the same class... smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think #1 are the shtz.I have a couple that are safe queens I would love to find a beater that I could just use and be proud of its scars.
My Good friend here Scottyb reminds me regularly fine rifles are to be used he has a couple well used #1s

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a No.1 in 243 that is pretty beat up. I bought it used and you could it didn't sit in the safe. I had it punched to 243 AI and have used it hard for 4 years or so. If the rifle wasn't in such bad shape when I bought it I probably would've been more hesitant to rechamber it. It will hold MOA and that's about it, but the 85gr TSX works wonders on deer, antelope, and coyotes!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 14,338 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,295
Posts18,545,303
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.