Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I have my eye on a couple real good looking tang safety Rugers right now. Before I buy one, I wanted to ask what you think about them as compared to other Ruger offerings. Tell me how yours shoots, etc. Is there aftermarket triggers available?

Anything you could tell me from experience would be great.

CLB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased my 77 in 1975. I really like the tang safety from a convenience standpoint. Mine is chambered for 30-06 and will put a load of a 180gr Sierra and RL22 into just under an inch all day long.

The one known potential problem is that there was a period of time where tang safety rifles had a reputation for poor barrels.

This being said, I have more absolute confidence in this 77 than any other rifle I own. It feeds perfectly, goes bang every time, and will put that Sierra where I want it every time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have six tang Rugers. The early barrels were made by Douglas and were very good. But most of the tang Rugers wore Wilson barrels, and the accuracy could be a crap shoot.

IMO, the tang Ruger is a handsome rifle and a pleasure to carry. They function superbly, too. Next week, I'm leaving for Quebec and will be taking my tang Ruger in .30-06 for caribou.

There are enough tang Rugers floating around gun shows, so if you like the rifle and caliber--and price--buy one. If it is also accurate, you'll not regret it. If it doesn't shoot, swap it for one that does.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've owned and carried three tang-safety Ruger 77's. One .338 that killed moose, blacktail deer and caribou, and two .308's, both have killed caribou, deer, and coyotes as well as small game.
I only have one of the .308's now. It was an early rifle with the Wilson barrel and would shoot patterns, not groups, so I had Dennis Hooper in Eagle River, AK spin the barrel off and send the action back to Ruger. They, for a VERY reasonable price, put one of the new, hammer-forged, barrels on it and now it shoots great.
Yes, there are after-market triggers avaialble. I put a Timney on my .338 and my first .308 and loved them both. The .308 I have now has a great trigger so I have not replaced it.
I would recommend them to anyone, especially since you can find them at reasonable prices.

Happy Hunting!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the input gents.

So far, the one's I have seen have been priced very fairly. A few have very good looking wood too. I can't wait to get one, bed the action and go shooting.

Has anyone shot or owned one in 257 Roberts or 25-06?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dawaba
I have six tang Rugers. The early barrels were made by Douglas and were very good. But most of the tang Rugers wore Wilson barrels, and the accuracy could be a crap shoot.

IMO, the tang Ruger is a handsome rifle and a pleasure to carry. They function superbly, too. Next week, I'm leaving for Quebec and will be taking my tang Ruger in .30-06 for caribou.

There are enough tang Rugers floating around gun shows, so if you like the rifle and caliber--and price--buy one. If it is also accurate, you'll not regret it. If it doesn't shoot, swap it for one that does.

How early and how do you find out who made your barrel??

Sorry about the jack...

I have a tang 270win.. I can't argue with Bang/Flops...

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My very first rifle, bought just for me by my father was a 77 tang safety 25-06. I have had a couple of them since, had problems with just one that was sent on down the road. I don't currently own any Rugers, BUT I HAVE NEVER GONE WITHOUT A 25-06 SINCE!! Its probably my favorite caliber, I wanna AI one in the future.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have one in 257 roberts, 30-06 and 25-06. both the 25's are excellent shooters. the roberts is my match rifle for sporting rifle competitions (finished 4th in the state championships w/ that tang safety ruger this year) as well as a hunting rifle. the rifle has been rode hard, hunted hard, and shot a whole lot, and is still very accurate. i also picked it up used about 4-5 years ago, so i couldn't fathom a round count. it was built in the early 70's.

the 25-06 is a mid-70's build, and it runs well, and will shoot as well as the roberts.

i have a 1976 production 30-06 (200th year of liberty gun) that shoots ok. adequate for hunting, i suppose, but won't impress anybody w/ its accuracy.

the tang safety ruger is second only to the remington 700 for my favored rifle builds.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's no way to tell which manufactures barrel is on the rifle. They only had a Ruger rollmark on them & were never stamped otherwise.

The Douglas barrels were from the M77 introduction in 1968 to 1973, then they switched to Wilson barrels. The changeover was gradual as Douglas barrel stock was depleted. Wilson barrels were used up to 1991, when Ruger began making their own hammer forged barrels.

The Wilson barrel quality issue is overblown I.M.O. The few bad barrels that did get passed QC unfortunatly tainted the reputation for all Ruger M77's barrels of that period. The vast majority of Wilson barrels are of good quality; I currently own 2 & there shooters. It's only a minor crap shoot.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 09/19/10.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
CLB,

Sir,

I have a 77RS in .35 Whelen. It took me a while to acquire one in that chambering but I finally found a very nice one. A couple of things you probably already know: RIFLE IS NOT A TRUE CONTROL ROUND FEED RIFLE. (Model 70 type extractor only)

Secondly, although there is a trigger spring adjustment screw on the trigger, it is pretty much useless in changing trigger pull weight. At this point you have 3 options: 1. DO NOTHING, LEAVE RIFLE WITH HEAVY FACTORY TRIGGER PULL, 2. BUY A COMPLETELY NEW TRIGGER UNIT(Timney, etc.) 3. DO AS I DID, (see below)

Go to www.riflebasix.com. I purchased a Basix RU-T sear and a lighter trigger spring. Installation is simple and results are amazing. You may like a heavy trigger pull, and that's your call. I don't, and am glad I made the purchase and installed the parts I mentioned.

IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THE CHANGES: READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY! IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT THAT YOU CAN DO THE JOB, BY ALL MEANS HAVE A GUNSMITH DO THE WORK.

When the job is finished, SLAM THE BOLT HOME HARD SEVERAL TIMES MAKING SURE THAT SEAR IS WORKING PROPERLY, SECOND, WITH SAFETY IN FIRE POSITION BOUNCE RIFLE (RECOIL PAD) ON THE FLOOR SEVERAL TIMES, AGAIN MAKING SURE THAT BOLT DOES NOT FALL. USE TRIGGER SPRING ADJUSTMENT SCREW TO SET WEIGHT OF PULL TO YOUR LIKING.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO USE METHODS DESCRIBED ABOVE TO INSURE SAFETY!

You should now have a 77 that has little if any creep, a crisp (2 to 4 lb) trigger, with little or no overtravel, at a price considerably less than a whole new trigger mechanism.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

G2

Last edited by Gramps2; 09/20/10.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I really like the design of the tang safety Rugers, but have owned three (I believe) and all of mine had poor to medicore accuracy and fowled like crazy. I have a fourth on the way, so will see how it does in a couple of weeks.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a 7mm rem mag tang safety ruger that I bought about 1986. The rifle handled great but it was one of those "shot patterns instead of groups" rifles. The wood to metal fit was pretty horrendous also. I killed a lot of deer with it and would probably still be using it if it hadn't been stolen in a break in. The rugers of that era weren't known for their accuracy, but I'm of the opinion that if it's what you want then you can make it shoot with a trip to a good gunsmith and a new barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 7mm Mag was built in 1984 and will shoot 154gr. Hornady Interlocks into MOA with a healthy dose of IMR4831. Fit and finish of the rifle is excellent and the trigger is very good. Guess I got one of the good ones.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't understand why tang safety's are not more common on rifles; is there a particular downside to them? Do the lock just the sear or do they block the firing pin as well?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB
I have my eye on a couple real good looking tang safety Rugers right now. Before I buy one, I wanted to ask what you think about them as compared to other Ruger offerings. Tell me how yours shoots, etc. Is there aftermarket triggers available?

Anything you could tell me from experience would be great.

CLB

M77 ,257 Rogerts...
[Linked Image]

M77 in 7mm RM and 40+mph crosswinds...
[Linked Image]
On a calmer day, with 160g North Forks, the 7mm RM turned in a 3-shot .262" group.

M77 .30-06, scope check...
[Linked Image]

The .30-06 was shooting like that, or darn close to it, again last week and today. Its definitely ready for antelope season.

My other Ruger .30-06, a stainless MKII I recenty married to a boat paddle stock, was shooting the same. It is also ready for antelope.

All I do is float the barrels and polish the triggers.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Pete E
I can't understand why tang safety's are not more common on rifles; is there a particular downside to them? Do the lock just the sear or do they block the firing pin as well?

They just block the trigger, not the firing pin. To me the tang is the most natural place for a safety, I like the way they feel.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 7 Mag was bought in 86 and has no accuracy problems. 160 Partition at a tick above 3000 fps is the go to. I even used mine with the 115 Speers for groundhogs a couple of seasons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three, 257 Roy, 284 Win and 338 RCM. All have had their barrels replaced AND the stocks replaced with McMillans. I am lucky to have grabbed two ultralight stocks before they were discontinued.

Another somewhat unknown feature: the threads for the Ruger Tang safety and the Remington 700 are the same with the Ruger being a slightly smaller OD. Remington takeoffs can be installed/headspaced/rechambered by a competent gunsmith. The 284 win is on its third 7 rem mag barrel, shortened slightly and rechambered.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
CLB,

This may have already been mentioned to you as I did not go through all reply's. There was a safety recall on the Model 77. Had to do with the trigger spring adjustment screw on trigger. All model 77's that were sent back due to recall and those 77's made after recall will have the letter T inscribed on the under side of the bolt handle. I am sorry that I did not think to include in my earlier reply.

G2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had a tang safety Ruger in 7X57 from 1972 until 2000 when I restocked it with an McM, and rebarreled it to .280.
Never had a problem adjusting the trigger to as little as 2.5 lbs. It's is, or should be, fully adjustable and of the open design which makes it really easy to keep clean. Easy for a good trigger man to stone too. Had mine done and it has all that I've ever wanted in the way of a clean, 2.5 lb. break.
Had to be the most reliable wood stocked rifle I have ever owned. Would put everything from a 115 gr. HP's to 175 gr. RN loads into 3 inches at 100 yds. My hunting loads, depending on the bullet and powder charge went 1-1.5 inches @ 100 yds. Never, and I mean never, needed to be rezeroed. E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (270cowboy, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 63 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,159
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.