Print Thread
Hop To
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lately my ordinarily very accurate ML10 has been shooting not so good. Figured it was time to clean. After starting the cleaning routine I found the rear trigger guard screw was stripped. Guess it's time to fix. frown

Years ago I remember different sites giving how-to's on setting up the ML10 so the bolt can be removed without loosening that rear screw. Thought this might be a good time to check that out further but it seems to have disappeared off the internet. Anyone know the reason?

And more to the point, anyone know or want to offer an opinion on the best fix for my screwed up problem? Thanks. smile

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
are you a smokless shooter ? if so check your dia. on the hole in front of the primer. once the hole erodes too far accuracy disappeares. there are a couple ways to fix the rear screw problem.. some put in an extra screw and also could make a short screw and install a different bolt stop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First, I know nothing about a ML10. I do know about stripped screws though.

Two ways to fix a stripped out screw hole.

1. Heli-coil it. It works as good as the original, provided, it's done right. If you've never done it take it to a gunsmith or machine shop that knows what they're doing. Since it stripped as originally done I'd be inclined to deepen the hole as much as could be done safely and use a flat bottoming drill bit to get as many threads as possible.

2. Drill and tap it for the next larger size screw. This wouldn't be preferable since, I assume, it's going through the trigger guard. You'd the then have to open up the trigger guard for a larger diameter screw head. However, you might be able to find a screw with a small diameter head or turn the head down to fit. Or, maybe use something like an allen head screw. ? ? ?

There's expoxy methods of screw repair but it won't hold torque as the above methods will.

Since I don't even know what it looks like don't yell at me if I'm wrong.

S
S
You can eliminate removing the rear screw by ordering the New version Breech plug from Savage. It has a 3/8 hex head on the front of it that can be removed with a 1/4 in drive ratchet and 3/8 in sockiet.

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by samson805
You can eliminate removing the rear screw by ordering the New version Breech plug from Savage. It has a 3/8 hex head on the front of it that can be removed with a 1/4 in drive ratchet and 3/8 in sockiet.
Thanks. That's something to think about but I have to fix my rear screw situation first.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by fish head
First, I know nothing about a ML10. I do know about stripped screws though.

Two ways to fix a stripped out screw hole.

1. Heli-coil it. It works as good as the original, provided, it's done right. If you've never done it take it to a gunsmith or machine shop that knows what they're doing. Since it stripped as originally done I'd be inclined to deepen the hole as much as could be done safely and use a flat bottoming drill bit to get as many threads as possible.

2. Drill and tap it for the next larger size screw. This wouldn't be preferable since, I assume, it's going through the trigger guard. You'd the then have to open up the trigger guard for a larger diameter screw head. However, you might be able to find a screw with a small diameter head or turn the head down to fit. Or, maybe use something like an allen head screw. ? ? ?

There's expoxy methods of screw repair but it won't hold torque as the above methods will.

Since I don't even know what it looks like don't yell at me if I'm wrong.
No yelling, but I do thank you for the info offering.

The rear screw just goes into the wood, not the rear metal of the action, thus not a real action screw. Kind of a different deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In that case epoxy will be your best friend. Coat the screw and trigger guard with a release agent, fill the hole with epoxy, carefully, and you're good to go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,536
Posts18,509,933
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.