Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I read about alot about this scope and that scope...

After hunting, reading, researching, I have to come to the conclusion that there might be scopes better than leupold but you can match the right leupold to almost any task and get the job done.

PLus you get to support an AMerican company.

I is there a specific instance when hunting where a LEUPOLD couldnt get it done? Was it the wrong model leupold? Or was no Leupold capable?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A leupold 3x9x40 caused me to miss 5 deer one season.

So I took it off my bow.

wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
grin

Was it a Browning bow? blush

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find often when I am looking in the direction of a bright sun(not directly into it) the Leupold scopes I've owned over the years flair more than any other brand i've had.

Personally don't care for them.

I don't buy products based on the notion that when they break they are easy to get fixed either.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
M,

What was the most recent vinatage of Leupold scope you have tested lens "flare" on?

I only ask because Leupold's lense coatings and internal flare control features have inmproved a bit over the years..

I don't like lense flare and image washout in direct light either.

The most recent two Leupold built scopes I tested for lense flare in direct sunlight were both built in the last six months.

One was a 6x36 FX-II and the other was a new Redfeild 2-7.
Both exhibited very little flare.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had issues on really dark days at dark.... or on hogs at late or early hours... you can either see or not, and its sometimes not being able to see the crosshairs....

Over the years I wondered around... and found that for me the best compromise bang for the buck was Zeiss conquest... doesn't matter to me that its not totally American.... I want performance and value... if US doesn't provide it I go elsewhere. And by value I don't mean cheap.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be difficult to argue that a Leupold VX3 couldn't get the job done during legal hunting hours.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Let's get ready to rumble.... (grin)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fortunately, I don�t have any instances that happened to me, wherein a Leupold failed to get it done. Other people, yeah, but I wasn�t there, so it was probably shooter error, not the scope. I own more Leupolds than the rest of my scopes combined. I think Leupold markets a fine, home-grown product. My favorite Leupold of all time was a VX-III 2.5-8x32 that I had to sell for school expenses. I miss that scope every deer and turkey season. It is truly a scope that could do it all.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
i agree, a VX3 and if night hunting the new illumination....all u would need

also the VX7 if u want somehting expensive

Last edited by Son_of_the_South; 09/21/10.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dave7mm gonna think I'm taking drugs..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've said it before. Someone wearing a Leupold uniform must have kicked his dog and drank his last beer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laffin...

If you look closely you can see I'm wearing my "lucky" Leupold hat...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
I've had issues on really dark days at dark.... or on hogs at late or early hours... you can either see or not, and its sometimes not being able to see the crosshairs....

Over the years I wondered around... and found that for me the best compromise bang for the buck was Zeiss conquest... doesn't matter to me that its not totally American.... I want performance and value... if US doesn't provide it I go elsewhere. And by value I don't mean cheap.

Couldn't say it any better... plus one.

Our hunting is half hour before dusk & after dawn. Both are just a number from a chart... not reflective of how dark a given place on a given day might be, or not be. I've been hunting on days/spots where I could see plenty well to take a shot well AFTER legal light. On the other hand on grim drizzly days in early November in a deeply wooded valley bottom it can get too dark for my beloved Leupold 2.5-8's well BEFORE legal light expires!

The Conquests I have get me a little deeper into the gloom. It would be measured in minutes to be sure, but those are some golden minutes! Plus the stock reticle is much darker in low light than the stock Leup reticle.

This could all be changed with the new VX3's. My experience is with the Vari-X and VX-III's...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I posted this in the other thread.. but I look at more than a few bears in the evenings off of the deck of my house. I can see crosshairs on those bears waaaaay after I'd ever want to pull the trigger on any animal.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
laffin...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

RD: Nice bass!....killed them Sunday!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've killed two bucks in recent years under circumstances of very last light,and in both cases the scope in use was a Leup 2.5-8 Vari-X III.

Last year in NH I had a good spot on a power line right of way,knew where they crossed so sat it out several evenings.Made a point of bringing 3-4 different rifles with different scopes.The new VX 3 won out in the comparisons,and was a distinct improvement oover earlier one's.

Much as I love it, the old M8 4X Leupold was certainly better than nothing....but could not run with the newer stuff.I can see how a guy could miss a chance with it under bad conditions.

Up in Alberta, I noticed that the 3.5-10 Vari-X III did a very good job,and to my eye seems like a brighter scope than the 2.5-8X.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by martinbns

I don't buy products based on the notion that when they break they are easy to get fixed either.

Nor do I; never read a warranty on rifles, scopes,bins, etc.To my way of thinking,if it does not live up to and perform its' intended purpose, it is junk.I expect a scope to last as long as the barrel it sits on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice fish, it must have been the lucky hat. LOL

I am a frustrated bass fisherman. I have never caught a really big bass despite fishing in Natchez State Park that has some huge Floridas.

I think the state record is 21 lbs. and it was caught there.

Originally Posted by RDFinn
laffin...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JM:Throw a jig.... smile

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 64 invisible), 14,020 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,278
Posts18,545,082
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.