-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what "helping" means. If you mean leting a 4yr old do it alone and unsupervised then absolutely not.
If helping means they have their hand on the nozzle or hose while I am operating it then yeah, no problem.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DocRocket

My answer isn't no: it's HELL NO.

My answer is the same as yours

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the petroleum equipment installation and service business (gas pumps, underground storage tanks, etc.). You can't believe the things I've seen over the last thirty years. I'd be surprised if they don't try to sue the c-store for the accident.

Many people forget how dangerous gasoline can be. I'm surprised there are not more fires and accidents like this at self serve stores.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by levrluvr

My answer isn't no: it's HELL NO.

My answer is the same as yours

Same here. Lotta WTF in that debacle. "Mom" needs a child endangerment arrest on her record.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
In Oregon, I believe, you can't pump your own gas, PERIOD! The only other place I know if that does that is Sonora, MX.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nope not at 4 or 6 or 8 or 10 maybe at age 12 but would depend on the kid, if they were tall enough and understood that you don't want any of it on you.

In a free country the government doesn't fear its citizens and there firearms. In a crocked government everything is up to be removed even the citizens if they truly believe in freedom.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If a person can't legally have a drink until he/she is 21 why should a 4 yo be able to pump gas.Forget the 16 to 18 years of age. Lets have gooberment do the right thing one more time.... no one under 21 is allowed to pump gas.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Depends on the kid, but not at four. People forget how dangerous gasoline can be.

I was pumping gas one day and the hose came right out of the handle/nozzle. The hose fell to the ground, spewing gas all over. The rate of fuel coming out of that hose covering me, my car and the general area was impressive, several times the rate that it would if it had been coming out of the nozzle. It took me maybe 3-4 seconds to get my bearings and shut off the pump.

That was 1988 and I don't know if a thing like that could happen again today, but I sure wouldn't want a 4 year old to have been standing where I was that day.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by JGRaider
In Oregon, I believe, you can't pump your own gas, PERIOD! The only other place I know if that does that is Sonora, MX.

Nope you have something in common with new Jersey.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd make 'em fill it back up before they return MY truck!

lil bastages

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't believe anyone would even consider letting a child do this.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Yep. My kid loves cars, everything about em. I let him put gas in the truck every now and then. Of course I'm right there with him while he does it.

Maybe I should say...He DOENS'T do this on his own. I'm holding on to the nozzle while he squeezes the handle.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
no

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 7 & 10 year olds haven't pumped gas. Like the op said, I didn't handle gas until I was mowing the lawn.

My boy (7) will help fuel up his 4-wheeler and my boat (remove/replace the cap) but I pump.

Wook

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i was cutting lawns when i was 7-8 yrs old. would buy gas and fill up my gas can on my own

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose that if it has something to do with sailing around the world on their own or something of that nature, it's probably acceptable to many people, but not to me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Darned 4 year old cost mom and extra 20 bucks at the pump. Can't be spillin liquid gold!!

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by teal
I would - as long as they put out their cigarette first.

Teal,

You know what. You are the sickest bastard I know. Because that was exactly what I was going to post before I opened the thread, but you beat me to it. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't forget using the cell phone.
Me,I think not.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I gently told the kid she probably shouldn't help mommy pump gas for a few more years. She responded by telling me her sister pumps gas all the time, and she's 6 years old!

Have to respect the little gal for wanting to help and be like her big sister. A quality now lost in many kids.
----------------------------------------------------------

The kid's mom laughed the whole thing off as if it was no big deal. I tried to admonish her as kindly as I could, citing the risks to the child and the public at large if her kid should cause a major gas spill, but she didn't seem to think much of my advice.

This is pathetic and good for you.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I find this more than a little bizarre. I was taught at a fairly young age that gasoline was a highly dangerous commodity, and I don't recall ever being allowed to touch a gas can or gas pump until I was old enough to operate gas-powered equipment (about age 12, lawnmower).

So my question to the 'Fire: would YOU let your 4-year-old kid pump gas? My answer isn't no: it's HELL NO.

-----------------------------------------------------
Agreed,

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,529
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.