-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
...I have to say that I may not have given the D frames their proper due in the past based on my previous experience...my first handgun was a sweet looking blue Colt Diamondback snub back in 1984...it had been messed with internally by a "gunsmith"...I sent took it to someone who was supposed to be a Colt 'Smith and he put it back to original...I never warmed to the pistol and I recall it having a narrow smooth trigger that I never cared for...

...a year later when I bought my duty Colt Python, I was in heaven but that Diamondback had to go...no Detective Special I felt since changed my mind on the D Frame Colts...

...last week I decided to finally as to fondle this Colt Cobra...it had been sitting in various cabinets at this store for over a year (IIRC) and even though I preferred the newer shrouded ejector rod, I had to feel the Cobra...

...boy was this sweet...grooved "target" trigger and that sweet action no Smith and Wesson "J" can match neither in single or double...it was then I noticed to that it appeared to have never been shot and looked like new...and man if that 1st issue look didn't look sweet...didn't hurt that I watched "The Detective with Frank Sinatra either...

...this week I went in and saw the "sale" price was gone and it had returned to the ridiculously high price that helped keep me from looking at it before...then came the sales guy..."I can make you a great deal on that if you're really interested."...I told him, I hope better than last week because it was $105 less...he said, well, "That sale is over but I can get you a nice price."...he looked it up in the computer and talked with another worker there and came back with a $150 better price...I said "Let's do this then."...and I bought it...

...serial number lists to 1967 and it is a beauty...and I'll admit to being wrong all these years about at least this D Frame Colt...just wanted to share...

Bill

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Benefactor
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine was born in 1953 and been in the family since new. Love the little gun but my wife claimed it moons ago.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
how do you like the Tyler T grip...thinking of adding one to mine...the grip as is is fine for me but that little extra would be nice...like your stocks...
Bill

NRA Life Benefactor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot it MUCH better with the Tyler and the stocks are a pair of the now defunct Jay Scott grip companies "stag" models, they are actually polymer resin bonded to a hardwood backing. Been on the gun for over 40 years.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wifey has been through several CCW guns since getting her license to carry about 2 years ago, several Smiths, couple of Kahr's and the one she settled on is also a Cobra, hers from 1969. She is not a gun nut like me, and needed a smooth action as well as lightweight shootability. She picked the Cobra on her own at a gun show and we now have a winner. Yep, they are so much smoother than a S&W can ever be. This from a S&W owner and fan, but the old DA Colt revolvers are just slick and sweet.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
thanks for the info T LEE...I agree safariman...I thought it was just because I grew up on the Colt DA revolver...I have a couple of Smiths but have never felt about them the same as I have about the Colt's and it appears to me those that started with Smith's feel the same about theirs and not so much the Colt's...
Bill

NRA Life Benefactor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I don't know.... My first carry gun was a Smithinsky, still have a 329PD that I carry every time I am in the woods and it is perfect for such duty but I have now come to appreciate the wonderful quality and smoothness of the Colts. Also have a like new Royal Blue 6 inch Python, WAAAYYYY too nice.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
well there you go...I too have an airweight Smith...never warmed to it although it is perfect for it's intended purpose...lightweight and packing the .38 Special...the Cobra may take its place however as I find the trigger feels more like home to me than the Smith (and I'm not knocking Smith's except in the Spirit of competitiveness :D)
Bill

NRA Life Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.