Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took my girlfriend dove hunting the other day and now she wants to learn to shoot. I tried to get her to shoot my Remington 870 and my Remington O/U but she said both were to heavy for her. I think she was just embarrassed because she has never fired a shotgun and we were hunting with a bunch of veteran hunters. Anyways I am thinking about buying her a new 20ga but I am not sure what to get her. She will need something that is light and has low recoil. I know those 2 don't always meet together in the same gun. For all of yall that have a wife/girlfriend/daughter that shoot, what did yall get them. I am leaning towards a pump so if she doesn't contunue to shoot I don't have a wad of cash invested in a gun. Thanks

puretexan

�A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.�
~George Washington

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
pump gun is going to hurt her, look at some rem 1100, or spend some money and get her a browning cynergy, or look at franchi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the pump and 1100. Unless you get her some lighter loads she's going to feel it some.

IMO a used Remington 1100 or 1187 20 gauge, plenty of them out there, is your best bet for minimum recoil and price. They also make them in a youth model and there are youth model stocks available which work for smaller shooters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Franchis are lighter than Remingtons but I can't imagine an 1100 or 11-87 being too heavy for an adult. We have kids shooting trap with them. The 1100 and 11-87 are very good at softening recoil which is often the problem. Advantage 11-87 if you want to use light to magnum shells. Between youth and adult models it's a matter of fit of course, but the youth models are very short.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Take the standard remington 1100 plastic recoil pad off and replace it with a Limbsaver or Decelerator. And make certain you have the right shotgun fit for here starting with the length of trigger pull. The price of fitting correctly is well worth the result in better shooting and less felt recoil.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you are wanting lightweight, and a pump (a great, low maintenance, simplicity in action, safe {no fresh shell in the chamber till she's ready} choice), look for a Rem M870 LW (or an LT model).

Lots of 20 ga guns are built on 12 ga frames; find one (like the above) built on a 20 ga frame.

Then, either load, or look for, shells with a slightly lighter payload to reduce recoil. A 7/8 oz load recoils noticeably more than a 3/4 oz load.

Rem (and probably others) make a "Reduced Recoil" or "Managed Recoil" or something like that in a factory load. Buy some for her, she'll notice the difference.

I tend to go along the lines of a lighter gun, to be easier for handle without being forced into bad form just trying to balance it, accompanied by lighter recoil loads.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am in a minority here, but a single-barrel 20 ga. is great for beginning shooters and inexpensive in case shooting isn't her cup of tea. Very lightweight and you can always use it as a truck gun if shooting doesn't work out.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with the single barrel is the stock design is all screwed up and the recoil seems worse, ymmv.

A 20 guage Beretta 391 meets all the criteria except cost, it is light, light recoil, and very reliable. I've got a 12 guage and don't even look at shotguns anymore in the shops because I have the perfect one for me (except a really nice SXS, but the wife says no on that at the moment).

I bought her a Browning BPS 20 guage pump, mainly because she is a lefty and it ejects out the bottom and has a tang safety. She later went and bought a Beretta White Onyx O/U when she decided she needed a 12 guage. She has no problem handling either of her shotguns.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think a pump gun is a little too much for a beginning shooter. A second shot for a beginner with a pump is pretty unlikely.

But you have a point about stock design, although that's more to do with the shooter. If the stock fits, shoot it. I've got a nice SxS that the stock doesn't fit all that well at all.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Try to find her a used Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge. If it has a recoil pad it will be a very soft shooter and a beauty to boot!

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am always skeert of beginners in the field with autoloaders. Find the gun that really fits and tailor the loads for recoil.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well then have them load one shell at a time until they're ready for more.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the comments guys. I still don't know what I am going to get her. I have been looking into getting her a Remington 870 20ga just for the fact that is she doesn't continue to shoot I can still use the gun and I like 870's. I also looked into the 11-87 sportsman. The one with the synthetic stock also in 20ga. I have been wanting one of these guns for a while now and I think this gun would fit her good. She might just have to learn to live with the weight. smile I am a big Remington fan so whatever I decide to get her will probably end up being a Remington.

coyoteman23

�A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.�
~George Washington

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
C: Left handed vs. right handed girl friend? It could make a difference. If you can find a 20 ga Franchi 48 for a decent price,go for it. Ditto for the Ithaca 37. Boyd45

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right handed Boyd. I am not a fan of the Ithaca 37. Just something about them turns me off.

coyoteman23

~George Washington

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
C: Funny, I had the same reaction to Remington pumps, until I tried an old (made in 1953) Wingmaster in 16 ga. Much lighter than current models and swings like a dream. Just remember, its what SHE likes thats important. Girlfriend happy? You happy. Girlfriend not happy? Need I say more? Best of luck with your decision. Have a good and safe season. B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Franchi 48L....you won't be sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMModh1J5Q

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Franchi 620 with a 24" barrel, it checks in around 6 lbs and with the gas operated action recoil is negligble. My favorite shotgun by far!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First choice would be a new/used Remington 1100LT, second an Ithaca 37 or Remington 870. The semiauto offers light recoil while the pump guns will have a bit more, but the twenty doesn't kick hard with standard loads unless the gun is extremely lightweight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any standard 20 gauge with Remington STS Managed Recoil ammo will do. Out of a standard 870 Pump there is little more than a bounce. My wife is 5 ft tall and weighs 118 lbs and she has been shooting them for years. The rounds are a little more expensive but who cares. This is your girlfriend we are talking about.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,658
Posts18,533,977
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.