Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scotty Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had McAfee virus protection. My internet server had a free download for CA Security Suite. As my McAfee was ready to expire I decided to switch. So I went in and had the McAfee removed and downloaded the CA Security Suite. I had to go in and turn off the Mircosolf Firewall as it turned on when I removed the Mcafee. Now my computers is running slower than when I had dial up connection. Has anyone else ever had this problem.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep McAfee sucks, try downloading Avast and using it instead, it isnt as big of a resource hog and works pretty well.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, rattler, how ya doing today? Ready for some shute doggin' yet?

Get healed up, man. We be praying for ya'll.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually doing MUCH better than i thought i would be......have my fingers crossed that a speed goat with the 223 is a possibility the last weekend of the season....thought i would be in alot more pain given what needed to be done but its not taking much in the way of pain meds to keep the pain down and its a low enough dose that im quite clear headed.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Download Ubuntu and scrap all the virus protection and windows too.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of CA Security Suite. I won't pay for antivirus again until the paid services get better. I've had Norton, MacAfee, Panda, and who-knows-what else. I've been running AVG Free antivirus for a long time now and it is adequate while not being a total resource hog. Lots on here run Avast, which is about the same thing, the last I knew.

I don't run antispyware 'cause it hogs resources and if I catch something I just get rid of it. Running AVG Free and the regular Windows Firewall with XP, I have very few problems. Once in awhile I run a virus scan. I've got Windows Defender, a free program, which I update and run once in awhile. I also have Spybot and Malwarebytes Anti-malware, which I run occasionally too. I am a big believer in keeping my computer clean though. You can download CC Cleaner, for free and run it every time you reboot or shutdown. I would download Index.DatSuite and run it periodically as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
actually doing MUCH better than i thought i would be......have my fingers crossed that a speed goat with the 223 is a possibility the last weekend of the season....thought i would be in alot more pain given what needed to be done but its not taking much in the way of pain meds to keep the pain down and its a low enough dose that im quite clear headed.....

Sounds good. Just giver a little time. You gonna be real glad when you're all healed up.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep i know......gonna be a long 2 weeks at home.......my sister is a physical therapist and has already read my the riot act on moving to fast.......the surgeon said hunting with a light recoiling gun was a possibility this year if i had someone available to do the pack out, no way in hell that i can do a drag this year but i should be able to drop the hammer on one....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mcafee is some of the worst crap out there.

Vipre, SpySweeper with AV, Prevx & ESET NOD 32 are all very,very good with little to no impact on your system.

For periodic scans, Super Anti-Sypware & Malware Bytes are very good & the free version work the same as the pay version w/o auto updates & real time protection.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been a Macafee user for some time. I keep the alerts up pretty high.. No problems.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you are in the care of some good people. After the surgeon cut me up, he prescribed water therapy; said I would heal a lot quicker.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ditto what ColeYounger said.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another satisfied AVAST user here, had it on my machines now for about 5 years with great results.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Download Ubuntu and scrap all the virus protection and windows too.

You don't understand Scott,the world will come to an end if Windows isn't on the computer.
Windows is crap. It's sold with intentional flaws so companies like McAfee and Norton can get paid too...
If you buy Windows and put it on your computer and get on line without virus protection.Your computer will be useless within a week.
If Whirlpool sold refrigerators that,after a week,burned every kitchen up that it was put in,Whirlpool wouldn't be in business yet this is exactly what Microsoft does and most buy it...
I'm not going to give Microsoft another dime...
Linux or bust...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
grin

I understand all to well. I got healed of that terrible disease.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This may be a stupid question, but will Ubuntu run programs like PhotoShop and the Adobe stuff?
I've used AVG in the past but this new-to-me computer has McAfee 2010 on it. Should I delete McAfee and install AVG or Avast?
Jerry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
This may be a stupid question, but will Ubuntu run programs like PhotoShop and the Adobe stuff?

Yes on the Adobe stuff...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Set Ubuntu up so you have a dual boot system. Surf the net on Linux and use Windows only when forced for some programs. Kiss viruses goodbye.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, Ubuntu is Linux based?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep... There are different versions of the Linux operating system. Scott and I just happen to have Ubuntu... I think Red Hat is another version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

209 members (1shotnokilz, 325wsm1, 160user, 30incher, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 16,927 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,231
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.