Print Thread
Hop To
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I worked a few hours today at "Sighting in Days" at our Elks Lodge Range today. Deer season opens next weekend. I had a lot of fun and got a couple of boxes of nice once fired brass. I saw a guy get scope eye with his Marlin 45-70 and a Grandpa insisting that his little 70lb Grandson shoot a 30-30 while he shot a lever 357. I watched a guy sight in a new rifle shooting right handed and using his left eye. We had a couple of scopes that needed to be turned 1/4 turn to the right so the windage and elevation knobs were where they were meant to be. We made a few dollars and probably found a new member or two. Good fun with great people.
Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I work a couple of years at my gun club in Oregon about thirty miles south of Portland. Watched a guy swearing at a friend of mine who was trying to help. My fried was about 6'5" and almost 300 lbs of muscle. Not a good idea especially hen you are trying to sight in a 30-06 with three boxes of 25-06. grin

Way too many guys who did not know how to load their deer rifles or where the safety was. I quit hunting after the experience.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
ranges, and in particular, those that advertize "sight-in days" jus before deer or whatever season are full of interesting sights. I volunteer, too, and it is absolutely amazing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the range today. There was a dumb guy that tried walking down range while someone was using a 300 Mag. We yelled at him that not a single person called Cease Fire.

But then again that would have been one less dumba$$ in the world.

But then I would have to fill out paper work with the Sheriff. So I guess it was good he did not walk down there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish to hell that we still had a "gun club" around here! When the Phelps Dodge smelter was still in operation over at Playas (just down the road about 20 miles), we had a rifle range and skeet and trap ranges.

The county bought a property for a rifle range (apparently from friends of the Chair of the County Commission). I worked with the Extension Service and the BLM to put together grant proposals. However, there were a couple of mining claims that wanted to be bought out to provide access. The "organizers" wanted to shoot to the north and would not accept any other option. (Unfortunately, Interstate 10 is less than a mile north of the property.)

I am still taking advantage of local ranchers who remember that I used to buy their calves and let them hunt, and they let me shoot on their ranches today...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i worked as a range master during the annual machine gun shoot for a few years and it was amazing to see even some people with class three licenses handle loaded guns like little kids with no training.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at a range yesterday. I won't repeat all of the idiotic comments that one guy was making, but my favorite was him telling another guy that "7 em em ammo" is interchangeable with "Russian rifles."

Then...a young guy, about 20, loaded his muzzleloader beside his bench. When he was done, he lowered the muzzle and walked around to the end of his bench, pointing the muzzle at me for the entire 1.2 seconds. It felt like a month to me!

I hate ranges. They're always some combination of boring, aggravating, and dangerous.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You guys have much more interesting happenings than our local range seems to have. Most everyone here is pretty sane. If someone does two stupid dangerous things, they usually get booted for the day.

Be not weary in well doing.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Most of the locals here just wander out to the range when we feel like it, and usually have the place to ourselves.

we all have keys and mind our own business..so no hassles.

.....never been to a city range though and do not intend to do so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only shoot at home or during the week when I'm the only one at the range.

Ranges here will have someone there (at the private ranges like the one with the gunshop) that will sight in your rifle for you for a fee....because people are incapable of doing it themself.

Guy that owns the local range says he has 3 incidents in 3 years that he would term "serious". All 3 involved a law enforcement personl doing the "serious" part for whatever reason.

If you think accidents don't happen a lot the next time you are a private or public outdoor range look up at the tin/shelter over your head and think about every hole in the roof could have been someones head....lots of bullet holes.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
i worked as a range master during the annual machine gun shoot for a few years and it was amazing to see even some people with class three licenses handle loaded guns like little kids with no training.

yeah well it will be wild times over at the range this week thru next Sunday night... Saturday and Sunday afternoon, every nimrod that missed a deer will be over at the range with 3 boxes of fresh ammo from Walmart and resighting their scope... blaming their missing a deer on the scope, rifle and ammo... instead of embracing reality and admitting it was human error..

I start hunting AFTER opening weekend..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some guy came to our skeet and trap ranges a couple of months ago and salvaged about 650,000 lbs. of lead shot from the woods behind the ranges.

All he used was an escavator with an extra wide bucket and a Bobcat.

He scraped of the surface of the soil with the escavator and then used the Bobcat to load it into a shot/dirt seperator (looked like a big sluice box) that he designed.

He said he'd probably get between $.50 and $.65 per pound or somewhere around $400K for the reclaimed lead shot which meant about $80K of revenue for the club since we agreed to split the proceeds with him on an 80/20 percent basis.

All in all, I thought it was pretty impressive, since the guy worked on the project for about a month at the most and grossed about $320,000.

He had one employee plus his wife working with him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah, I've got range stories that will make your head spin. Worked as a range master for about 10 years. The thing that always amazed me was how little people know about their guns and how they work. Lots of folks have no comprehension of how to mount and adjust a rifle scope. 'Can't tell you how many guys would sit at 50 yards and burn a whole box of ammo on their rifle, which was off 6 inches. They'd take a shot, move the scope 6 clicks, and then shoot again. About then you'd get that quizzical look out of them when you told them the POI only moved 3/4 of an inch. I'd explain that 1/4 inch clicks at 100 yards equated to 1/8 inch clicks at 50 yards, and they'd act like I was speaking some foreign language. The range owners would work during sight-in season, and I always got a kick out of the guys that refused help from Jo Anne, who was the wife of the owner, and an extremely experienced shooter. Jo Anne had forgotten more about guns that most of these guys would ever learn, and they'd kind of blow them off when she'd try to help them. She'd just grin and bear it. In a few minutes they'd be heading down to the office to buy a box of ammo 'cuz they wouldn't listen to what she was trying to tell them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.