Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So the bear unpleasantness continues...

Next time I'm fishing in the Buskin drainage, I'll have my .45 Bisley in a chest holder, end of story...

Art,

I guess the smart thing for me to have done was to have retreated up the Buskin when the sow headed towards river right after eating her humpy soup. Instead, I crossed to river left, putting the pinch on her. Thing is though, aren't people encouraged not to retreat, so the bears don't assume everyone's going to move for them, and then put the smackdown on folks that stay put and yell? If I'm off base on this, then I'm ready to be enlightened.

How'd you knew the title I'm going to use when I post about the AK/Kodiak trip on the kayak fishing forum smile

I take it that it's continued to rain after I left on Wednesday. Did the guys from MN/AR make it out the next morning?

Scott

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I reccomend you put that silly little 357 away and get yourself a 454. That way when Mr. Bear does start chewing on your leg, you can pull it out and blow your own head clean off so it doesn't hurt so much.

Just kidding of course, but I do have to agree with your choice of caliber. I've found that when I bowhunt in Grizzly areas and carried a 44 or 454, I seldom bothered to bring it along, so I bought a small 357 revolver that weighs about a third of what my larger bores did and I seldom fail to bring it along now.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was nice to finally get to put a face with the name. We really enjoyed meeting you and your wife.
We had a great trip with picture perfect weather. Never saw a single drop of rain the whole time.
Anyway, maybe we can get in some fishing next time around.
John

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice to meet you to Scott. How'd your hunt turn out?

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
So the bear unpleasantness continues...

Next time I'm fishing in the Buskin drainage, I'll have my .45 Bisley in a chest holder, end of story...

Art,

I guess the smart thing for me to have done was to have retreated up the Buskin when the sow headed towards river right after eating her humpy soup. Instead, I crossed to river left, putting the pinch on her. Thing is though, aren't people encouraged not to retreat, so the bears don't assume everyone's going to move for them, and then put the smackdown on folks that stay put and yell? If I'm off base on this, then I'm ready to be enlightened.

How'd you knew the title I'm going to use when I post about the AK/Kodiak trip on the kayak fishing forum smile

I take it that it's continued to rain after I left on Wednesday. Did the guys from MN/AR make it out the next morning?

Scott

Actually, retreat is the right option in any case you are even a little leery of... They need to beanbag the bears if they want to teach them manners... but tourists want to see them and a beanbagged, bruised, and bitchy bear makes a lousy photo op.

Coming down river right would have put us on the same side of the river and the bear would have moved away, likely.

And every bear has a different idea of "How close" and "Why are you surrounding me". Yesterdays bear was comfortable with a bunch of idiots very close on all sides doing lots of stupid stuff.

The other guys got their planes first thing the next morning with Delta still planning a $536 charge for missing their flight due to fog...

There has been enough rain to spark a few silvers, but the water levels are still very low...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by raghorn
It was nice to finally get to put a face with the name. We really enjoyed meeting you and your wife.
We had a great trip with picture perfect weather. Never saw a single drop of rain the whole time.
Anyway, maybe we can get in some fishing next time around.
John

John
Was good meeting you two as well... Wish my schedule had allowed more time down there.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheShootist
Just kidding of course, but I do have to agree with your choice of caliber. I've found that when I bowhunt in Grizzly areas and carried a 44 or 454, I seldom bothered to bring it along, so I bought a small 357 revolver that weighs about a third of what my larger bores did and I seldom fail to bring it along now.

I agree with the covenience. A friend killed a charging, largish brown bear last summer near his home in Soldotna with a 454... I doubt the CNS shot would have been much different with a 357. And mostly I hope to never need it. If I am provoking bears I will have a rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by walkingman
What did they do wrong? I moved to Juneau so I'd like the advice.

"Fishing" with bears is not terribly common around Juneau. There are plenty of bears but they tend to stay nocturnal. I see plenty of tracks while I'm out, but I honestly see more bears when I deer hunt than when I salmon fish. Juneau is also 99% black bears. Right now there's a decent size brownie hanging out by the gun range, and Kowee creek has a few but beyond that the bears are in town eating people's trash. Just make sure to give the bear their space and try to make a little noise while you're out fishing. You don't want to surprise the bear. And Welcome to Juneau!!! The silvers are running hot right now.

Deal with it.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Several of us were standing around at the Russian River (the Russian River here on Kodiak) last week while a sow with three cubs attracted a bunch of people. We were laughing quite loudly and carrying on amid a mob of camera-toting touristas when an elderly lady "Shushed us" with a "There is a wild animal right there and you are going to scare it away!"

Needless to say I laughed louder! There were literally at least a couple dozen people within 75 yards of the bears. I did politely tell her to make sure to make lots of noise around the bears... Then I told the Milquetoast she was with to grow a pair.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering how Humpies treat my black Labs GI system, I could only imagine the fumes coming off of the bears!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing quite equal to walking through brush along a salmon crick literally and liberally sprayed with bear leavings...

They get a bit runny this time of run and it is truly an amazing thing... Amazingly bad thing that is...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
AKBoater, thanks for the information.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuyM
A couple of young brownies were running around our fishing area up on the Tsiu a couple of weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

I had almost the same problem off the Nushagak.

[Linked Image]

That was on Sept. 7th. From Sept. 10th through 17th, it was so hot during the days that the bears apparently became mostly nocturnal. I was fortunate to get one before the unexpected drought/heat wave.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You are such a tease! wink
art

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are such a tease! wink
art

I know. Sorry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what did you do, just shoot the paws off the bear?

smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's what you call a dramatic "paws"

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kid0917
what did you do, just shoot the paws off the bear?

smile

I wish I was that good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whoa! Nice looking bear! AK Peninsula ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kid0917
Whoa! Nice looking bear! AK Peninsula ?

Thanks. I was pretty lucky. It was near the Nushagak River a ways north of Dillingham. More details here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.