Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and I remember Dad hunting them over 35 years ago, around Lubbock

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
this aera was once home to the prarie chicken they were in great abundance at the turn of the century. my family comes from Pampa and Amarillo.I use to have old photos of my grandparents and other relatives with huge piles of birds.they would also have jack rabbit round ups where they would gather a large group of men and boys and drive jacks across the prarie useing hounds into coralls built to trap them.farming pratices pretty much wiped out the prarie chicken as well as causing the dust bowl.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
My theory is that interbreeding between ringnecks and the Afghan white-wing pheasants that were released along toward the end of the stocking efforts has produced a bird that lays eggs that can withstand the summer heat

Now ya got me thinkin' again (look out). I thought pheasants hatched early, say April, or May. If that's the case (I'm not saying it is) I see a flaw in your theory. Wouldn't the egss have hatched prior to summer's heat having a toll on 'em?

Right! But the ground temperature during late April and May and early June were apparently too high for survival of the embryos in the eggs in the early introductions. At least that was our theory at the time, as we never saw any broods from nests with eggs. I should have said "during the nesting season". Sloppy on my part!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm from north of Amarillo.....and my hometown claims to be the Pheasant Capital of Texas. I think the only news is that the OP was unaware good pheasant hunting in the Panhandle. Tons of birds in Sherman, Dallam, Hansford, and Moore Counties. Do some google searches for the local chamber of commerce or check the Amarillo Globe News website for hunting info. The local lions clubs usually do a hunters breakfast. My dad's been in charge of the breakfast for years.

Lots of corn grown in the Panhandle and pheasants love hanging out in those stalks after harvest. And if you are dumb enough to tear up your knees and ankles you can walk through the CRP. Only bad years are the really dry years.

Fee for the cidiots (city idiots) from Dallas, Houston and Austin is usually around $500 per gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mako25
We usually had 15-20 shooters and limited out by 11:00ish easily on opening morning.

That's what these guys are tellin' me!

I'm bringin' the .204, and a .243 as well - I hear tell there's prarie dogs for the takin' too.

Pheasants in the Panhandle - confounds me.

Lots of dogs too. Smoked a couple with 6's and 4's around the old tanks we'd hunt.

I've hunted pheasant around Winner SD and had some amazing hunting in Nebraska as well. The panhandle was comparable to both.

Best of luck to you.

Travis

IC B2

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'preciate ya!

That's a helluva an endorsemnet by the way, Winner's got birds!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,090
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.