Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thinking of selling my '98 Polaris 500 Sportsman and getting one of the Rangers. Reason is, my wife wants to go along on trail rides, etc., and I don't want to buy another single-rider ATV. I could also use more carrying and tow capacity for use around the farm.

Anyone own one, and if so, what do you like/hate about them?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hi,

We have had a Ranger on our ranch for the last 5 years. We use the heck out of it. It is great for what we do, haul stuff, fix fence, take hunters to stands, haul deer out. Much more economical than doing all that stuff with a pickup. We have had zero problems with ours. It is the same 500 cc motor that you have in your Sportsman (I think). I just wish it was a little more quiet for hunting purposes. It gets around great, rarely have to lock the differential, let alone put it in 4wd. I like that you can sit 3 people in the cab if you need to. Get the windshield and back window to prevent dust coming into it, we also fashioned a wooden "roof" that we can stand on to work on tree stands. Makes a decent shooting platform as well, you stand in the bed and shoot off the roof.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had one for about four years. We use it for about the same kinds of things as duckster. We have a small utility trailer that my wife's father built years ago with a bed from an old Jeep pickup. I use it to haul trash and trimmings around the place here. Mine is a 700. I use it to run garbage to the transfer station (3 miles one way), to run to the post office and to the farm store. We live in a small unincorporated town and you can get just about anywhere in town without having to drive on a hard surface road (illegal in NM). I put gas in it about once a month in the warm months and every two-three months in the cooler seasons.

We take ours to Colorado in the summer and I take it back for my annual elk hunt in the fall. I use it to get into the mountains here in NM for deer hunting, but don't actually hunt out of it. It is a lot cheaper to operate than a car or pickup and doesn't get beat up in really rough country like the pickups do. I wouldn't be without one.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
haveone for about 6 years now. bought mine for the same reason.have not had ant problems. it is the same 500 cc engine as in the sportsman

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have not had any problems with the 500 cc version, but I have looked wistfully at the newer 700 cc versions. Not that we have really needed more power, but with 3 guys inside and bed loaded or pulling a trailer, a bit more might be nice.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.