Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have the bug for accurate .22's. Maybe cause I can afford to shoot them or maybe cause they are so fun to shoot.

I currently have:

Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle
CZ 452 Varmint
Ruger 77/22
Marlin Model 60 Stainless
Ruger 10/22 stainless
Savage Model 30 (nostalgia reasons)

What have you guys seen that are neat, accurate rifles?
I would like a Marlin 39A just to have and play with....probably not the most accurate gun in the world but looks fun.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well worn non collector grade Winchester 52 target gun with the lightest barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going to be pretty tough to beat the first rifle on your list. Coopers are second to none.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by centershot
Going to be pretty tough to beat the first rifle on your list. Coopers are second to none.

yep, seems to be a positive correlation between money and accuracy.

personally, i grew up with a rem model 572 fieldmaster that was factory rebarreled. later, i've switched to a CZ American in 22lr. its really hard to beat for the money. but, with enough money i'm sure it can be.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BennelliHunter: I have a splendidly accurate Kimber Hunter/Silohuette and a Remington 40X rimfire that is even a tad more accurate.
I use them for Ground Squirrel Hunting with better quality 22 hollow-point ammunition.
Yes these ARE fun to shoot and indeed the affordability of the ammunition is a major plus as well.
One of my long time often time Ground Squirrel Hunting partners has a Ruger 77/22 V/T (heavy barrel) and it is extremely accurate as well.
I have shot alongside SO many CZ 22's (both heavy and sporter weight barrels) that they MUST be again considered for the accuracy intent shooter (you).
I just don't want anything to do with the CZ's hang down magazines and bass-ackwards safeties.
So, in search of 22 accuracy maybe you could try another 77/22 V/T or another CZ Varmint or consider a 40X rimfire?
I have seen some amazing groups shot by Cooper rimfire Rifles and I am curious to know if yours shoots well enough for you?
It may be tough (expensive) to surpass the Cooper accuracy wise?
Good luck in your search for accuracy.
I do know this, one easy way to improve rimfire accuracy in a particular Rifle is to BUY more scope magnification for it and to buy more expensive ammo for it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The safety on the CZ is a non-issue. Since I am not hunting dangerous game with my 22, I do not find it necessary to carry cocked and locked. Prairie dogs have sharp teeth, to be sure, but a mag loaded under an empty chamber has always worked well for me. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cooper, 40X and 541 Remington, 52 Winchester, Anschutz

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
VarmintGuy, my Cooper is definitely incredible. It is worth every penny. The smooth bolt action, crisp trigger and itsy, bitsy little groups are awesome!

Truth be told the CZ and Ruger shoot really tiny groups as well. Not as good as the Cooper but they are not THAT much bigger.

I just enjoy any accurate rifle...one that is affordable is even more fun.

I want a Kimber and a 40X although I don't know how much 40X are going for now. I was just checking out the 52 Winchesters today....they are at a premium also!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to add a T/C Classic or R-55 to yer stable...... and don't sell the Marlin short.......

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
A KDF K22 would be a must and my favorite, a Sako Quad. Don't leave out a Krico, and as already mentioned, an Anschutz.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Your stable certainly needs a Kimber 82 and Remington 541. May not be the most accurate of them all but they are a couple of the sexiest rimfire rifles ever made.
My .02

WarDamnEagle
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My dad has a Zastava Bolt Action imported by Charles Daly that shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with Remington LR HPs. Remington took over the importation of these rifles, but I understand they've now stopped. Extra magazines were impossible to find until about a month ago, when Cabelas finally got some in stock. Remington put their own wood on these rifles and it was much nicer than the wood from Charles Daly. I don't know who will be importing these rifles now, but I feel certain someone will. They will likely have the same wood as the Daly's, as this is the wood fitted at the factory.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If your tastes aren't limited to modern bolt actions and such, you might consider a vintage falling block like a Winchester 1885 low wall, either an original or replica.

As with any non-custom rifle, you take your chances with out-of-the-box accuracy. If you are inclined to go for the best, custom is the route to take, and you can take it just as far as your budget will go.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Winchester 75 and Remington 581.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BSA Martini is another falling block that is very very accurate. Ask the Ruger guys with the 77/22 I shoot against.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a lot of 22's 8 years ago I got an ANSCH�TZ won't waste my time with anything else.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Keep them coming guys....I listened to 30Gibbs first and picked up a Winchester Model 52 Utah Centennial 22LR from the classifieds here on the Campfire......Here is a link to the gun....did I hurt myself on this one?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4482025/1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
My dad has a Zastava Bolt Action imported by Charles Daly that shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with Remington LR HPs. Remington took over the importation of these rifles, but I understand they've now stopped. Extra magazines were impossible to find until about a month ago, when Cabelas finally got some in stock. Remington put their own wood on these rifles and it was much nicer than the wood from Charles Daly. I don't know who will be importing these rifles now, but I feel certain someone will. They will likely have the same wood as the Daly's, as this is the wood fitted at the factory.

I have one of the Dalys and my son has one of the Remington 5s. We are very happy with the way that they shoot. My son came across the magazines from Cabela's and picked us up some extras.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
J
Originally Posted by K22
A KDF K22 would be a must and my favorite, a Sako Quad. Don't leave out a Krico, and as already mentioned, an Anschutz.

I would second the K22 - I have one and it is very accurate. There was one for sale recently on Rimfire Central but it went quick, as they usually do.

JohnU

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I second the Winchester 52. I have one of the Japanese remakes and it is a shooter.

You should also look at the TC classic 22's.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.