Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's not a freak.

huntr and i had some dramatic results too.
but then on the other hand, a few did go in small, wreck everything, and exit just fine.
go figure ???

GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wondering if yo went up a notch or two in bullet weight if you'd have the same results.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Seems to me the light one's behave like light bullets; a bit softer and prone to rapid expansion.....and the heavy ones' expand slower,not so dramatically and are built for somewhat more penetration.

I notice the guys who have not complained of meat damage are shooting the heavier bullets, like 180 and 200 gr 30 cal;160 7mm,mostly.So they must get tougher as they get heavier.

I had the tip of one break off from recoil the other day at the range;it was the second one down in the magazine.The tip migrated to the back of the magazine and lodged in a recess behind the magazine box...it could just as easily have migrated forward and caused a malfunction. The ragged edge of the cavity hung up on the base of the feed ramp when I cycled the bolt.

That's it for me.......I'm through with them.

Bob, I use the 165 Accubond at around 3400fps out of my 300 Ultra. I have shot quit a few deer and mostly at close range and have never seen anything weird. All of them in fact passed through with exits golf ball in size.
As for the tips breaking off. I had a bad batch of 200gr 30 cal AB's that lost tips, but that was when that bullet was first released. I haven't had it happen again. I also run into the same thing with Barnes MRX's when they first came out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a bad batch of the 225-gn .338 version early on too; a couple tips came off. Nosler sent me a box. I've shot a conservative thousand AB's since then-probably more- and not seen it happen again.

Those wounds are unbelievable. NOTHING like what I've seen. It adds to my belief that if a guy is going fast and light with a smaller caliber, they are probably not the way to go.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is another anomaly. My 130 gr ,6.5 AB are right on,windage wise at 100 yds. At 200 yds they are two inches to the left and at 300 yds they are back on dead center.
I probably shot 30 rounds checking it out. Every 3 shot group was from a cold barrel. Same rest, same grip, same everything.

HUH????

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have entered... The Twilight Zone... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lighting conditions can cause optical distortions, i.e. you are not shooting at the exact spot you think you are, at different ranges. Especially if you are using those orange stick on targets that can get fuzzy under strong sunlight.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The 130 6.5 AB at average speed (short barrel 260) I have seen the oppersite, A goat shot down the length of the animal only had a small exit hardly larger than the pill, similar with pigs.....Red Stag exit about thumb hole size.......different story out of another freinds rifle that pumps them out at 3500fps but I haven't seen much shot with that.

Hunting fishing its all good smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The first half of the 2010 antelope hunt is over and both nephews filled a tag – a nice buck for James and a small doe/fawn for Kevin. This coming Friday I return to Wyoming with my son-in-law and daughter #2 and more doe tags.

The AccuBonds performed about like I expected – effective but more meat wastage than necessary and lower penetration than I like. AccuBombs? You decide.

Kevin’s doe. Ruger .30-06, 150g AccuBond. Small but his first and I’m glad he was able to get one. About 170 yards.
[Linked Image]

Looks good to me. But I like violent expansion on light boned critters

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Battue. Targets were the std 100 yd sighting in targets with 1" grid and a red square, white 1" center diameter. They were placed so that one was just to the left of the next target forward. Shooting directly north at 7AM. Did the same thing last time at the range and I thought it was me.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
B: Yeah I know....lots in use with no adverse effect, and relatively speaking I have shot few of them(maybe 400-500).

I opened a box of 300 Win Mag factory stuff one day and six tips were missing....it is not very comforting to me, that's all.

I'll use the ones' I have,then I will just play it safe myself and use the Partition,which just works as well near as I can tell.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saddlesore

Not trying to be a smartazz, but it sure isn't the accubonds. A two inch jump in 100yards in one direction, then a two inch reversal in the opposite over the nest 100yd is huge over that distance with conditions being constant and only 300yard total distance. Wind would have to be doing a pretty good swirl to blame it on that.

Red or orange I have seen lighting play some strange tricks with POI.

Only suggestion I would have is to try all black and white targets and see if it happens again.

Last edited by battue; 10/06/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
B: Yeah I know....lots in use with no adverse effect, and relatively speaking I have shot few of them(maybe 400-500).

I opened a box of 300 Win Mag factory stuff one day and six tips were missing....it is not very comforting to me, that's all.

I'll use the ones' I have,then I will just play it safe myself and use the Partition,which just works as well near as I can tell.

Hard to go wrong with partitions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have only had one rifle in which I could get a partition to even come close to the accuracy of other bullets. However, you could certainly hunt with them to as far as I'm likely to shoot and have no worries. Then again, having little to worry about on the receiving end does have its pluses.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use the 130 AB's in my 6.5X55 at 2700. Bughole accuracy and the only one I've ever recovered had run the whole length of a deer at close to 400 yards before stopping in the off-side hip. I don't get anything like the damage shown here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use the 130 AB's in my 6.5X55 at 2700. Bughole accuracy and the only one I've ever recovered had run the whole length of a deer at close to 400 yards before stopping in the off-side hip. I don't get anything like the damage shown here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JM: Yeah....true enough.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I ended up with several boxes of .358 caliber 225 gr. Accubond bullets after a horsetrade with another 35 Whelen fan.
I loaded them with 55 grs. of Varget and will give them a whirl in another month when our deer season comes around.
In the name of science!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2700 fps 150 grain accubond out of my 308 has killed a black bear at 15 yds and three deer at ranges from 35 yards to 270 yards. All pass thrus, nice wound channels and dead animals. Love em in the 308.
My buddy used the 160 gr accubond in 7mm Rem Mag to kill a 1000 lb moose at 200 yards last fall. Broadside shot and bullet exited. Moose went down quickly.

Not a huge sampling of animals but positive experiences thus far.

Last edited by Colin_Matchett; 10/06/10.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by battue
Have only had one rifle in which I could get a partition to even come close to the accuracy of other bullets. However, you could certainly hunt with them to as far as I'm likely to shoot and have no worries. Then again, having little to worry about on the receiving end does have its pluses.

If you look at a ballistics table for most manufacturers of bullets, the bullet regardless of if it is a ballistic tip, boat tail or PSP - will all shoot exactly the same out to at least 200 yards.

I will stand firm on my soap box that you do not need premium bullets to shoot a whitetail deer and that if you are willing to shoot a sheep in the neck after placing one well placed shot to the boiler - that you could have shot it in the neck the first time and probably done a lot less damage.

I personally do not own a digital camera or else I would have taken pictures of a whitetail deer that I shot several years ago with a .270 WSM. To put it mildly - I shot it behind the front shoulders and it took the entire rib cage out the exit wound. You didn't even have to gut it out.

I learned a long time ago that whitetail deer are not dangerous game and you do not have to shoot one in the front shoulders to stop it. Most any hole in the vitals area will kill it and a well placed shot in the neck will make it drop like a sack of potato's.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.