Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well, weather it matters to some "pickle lickin" jackass or not, I went ahead and put the gun on lay-a-way since I wouldn't make it to the shop for a while. The scope will come off is for no other reason than it's a glossy finish I just don't care for. Maybe it's my stroked ego that it offends, not sure, but the scope's coming off. Probably add a Burris atop it instead.
Again, to those helpful - THANX! And again, to those others...well, nevermind.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. Let's not talk about anything. Don't you just love those forums where no one talks about anything.

Hmmm, let's see, "Oh there's an interesting looking thread."

"Woops. Last post July 13..............2009."

Perhaps I'm a "pickle licker" too???? frown

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Now go find an older M8 4x28 long tube and you'll have the perfect outfit.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by GF1
Now go find an older M8 4x28 long tube and you'll have the perfect outfit.

I DO like that idea!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, I'm a bit late to add my nudge, so I'll just say that I'm heading home with a freezer full of antelope meat provided by just such a rifle as you've purchased. Mine does wear an M8 6x36 though.

You'll like it a lot.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
Well, weather it matters to some "pickle lickin" jackass or not, I went ahead and put the gun on lay-a-way since I wouldn't make it to the shop for a while. The scope will come off is for no other reason than it's a glossy finish I just don't care for. Maybe it's my stroked ego that it offends, not sure, but the scope's coming off. Probably add a Burris atop it instead.
Again, to those helpful - THANX! And again, to those others...well, nevermind.
I read the ignorant, insecure nonsense you post and I've just got to wonder how socially inept you really are. Instead of asking substantive questions like what reloading tips you'd need to know, what the availability of components or loaded ammo is, what the accuracy reputation for this chambering has been in the No. 1 or a WHOLE myriad of useful and objective data, you ask for complete internet strangers to "sell" you on the 7x57mm.

You're either capable of making decisions for yourself or you're not. And right now it's looking like you're not.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Perhaps I'm a "pickle licker" too???? frown
Are you into Judy Garland and guys in tight leather pants?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BlkHawk73, don't think the 7x57 needs selling to those who understand it ... or to those who need to be sold. As any other cartridge if you use it well, you'll sell yourself on it.

Seemed to kill as well for Eleanor O'Connor as it did for the Spaniards on San Juan Hill and the Boers. Still seems to do so, as JB points out. The more things change they more they stay the same.

Unless it's a a J. Rigby 275 in a bolt, it's hard to get more classical than a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Get a 280.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like cases with long necks. My experiences with the "dreaded donut" in the .308 back in my HP silhouette days were more than enough to convince me that I didn't want bullet heels extending down below the neck into the shoulder area.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
BlkHawk73, Unless it's a a J. Rigby 275 in a bolt, it's hard to get more classical than a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57. smile

While I don't totally disagree with Wildcatter264, I'd suggest we should add it's hard to get more classical than a Ruger No. 1 RSI (Mannlicher-style stock) with a Kepplinger Single Set Trigger in 7x57R.

Now... THERE'S a true "classic"!~!~! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's to "sell" Rebed the foreend and you will have a sub MOA rifle that's hotter than a 7mm08, light, fast handling and has class beyond belief.

Newt-Condi 2012
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shootem
The 7x57, along with the 6.5x55, are cartridges that by their existence prove beyond doubt that newer is not necessarily better. It's almost as if the designer knew not only what he was doing at the time, but what wonderful propellants and projectiles would be available beyond his lifetime. Smooth feeding, easy on brass and shoulders, bore diameter that is sufficiently supported by your basic soft point bullet, plus the vicarious link to history thru the use of a 100+ yr old round. It is a proven standard, an often copied blueprint, a routine success. Good grief, I believe I just defined "fun".

My first centerfire was a pre 64 Win 70 in 30-06, on which I really learned to shoot and reload. Dad won it for me in a sales contest and it was a nice high school graduation present that summer of '63.

In my later years I have learned to appreciate the 6.5x55 Swedes, having collected a few and lucked into a nice little Ruger red pad 1-A in 7x57 that needed quite a bit of refinishing on the wood. It turned out to have very good wood under a totally clouded ruined factory finish. While not my most accurate rifle it is surely one of the nicest sporters to shoot I have. Another nice mild round is a 9.3x57 in a pretty Husqvarna M46 sporter.

Everything you said about those old Mauser cartridges is so true!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.