Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
'Tis the season for the outside varmints to try and become inside pests. The last couple days I've had a mouse show up, set traps only to have it lick the peanut butter out of the trigger without setting it off. I also put a dab under the trigger on the platform of the trap so it would bump it with his head and set it off. That would be licked clean too with out springing the trap.

I just came in for lunch and found the trap licked clean for the third time, that was it. I put just a tiny dab of peanut butter on the bottom side of the trigger this time. Well I had hardly just sat back down when I heard that satisfing snap of the trap. Got him this time, when he smelt that PB this time he wasted no time heading for what he thought was just another free lunch. Gosh, I hate those things.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had the same problem with the little beggars licking the PB off so I took a small scrap of cloth, rubbed PB into it and jammed it into the trigger. Works everytime.

Speaking of varmints, Possums have started coming around every night. Time to get out my redlight for the .22. They can't stay away from the persimmon trees now that they are getting ripe.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half way witth water. Smear a ring on peanut butter about 4 inches from the top. make a ramp to the top on the bucket. mice will hang over the edge trying to get the butter. they usually end up falling into the water.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ruffcutt: You need to adjust your traps so that they will go off at the slightest touch. Quality of the traps, in particular the trigger system, has gone way down the last decade or so.

To adjust; take a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze that little part that the wire hooks under. Not too hard. Then set and tap on the underside of the end with the trigger to see how much more it might need. Repeat as needed to get a very light tap to set the trap off. The lighter the tap, the lighter the trigger is set at.

If you get too many little buddys coming in you can vary the bait by using a couple of pieces of 1" long thread. Just superglue it to the trigger. Of course the bucket idea is a good one too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by YankeeDevil
Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half way witth water. Smear a ring on peanut butter about 4 inches from the top. make a ramp to the top on the bucket. mice will hang over the edge trying to get the butter. they usually end up falling into the water.

best trap ever...ours is a little different variation....dowel across top of bucket (make holes in sides) a we put an empty soda bottle smeared with PB....walk out the dowel and spin, they're in. We stopped using water at out camp because its smells with decaying mice...we use antifreeze....no stink

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,441
Posts18,507,734
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.