Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I know we beat up boot selection alot and it all comes down to what works for us. This year my feet got slaughtered because I could not keep them cool or dry.

I used my uninsulated Cabelas Perfect Hikers that have plenty of miles on them. It was about 80 degrees on the hill with plenty of ground covered each day. I was changing my socks at noon but could not keep my feet dry. They looked like I had been in a pool all day. I would say 50% of my foot had blisters on heels, bottoms and toes by day two.

The area is all volcanic rock and lighter boots tend it beat up my feet since they lack the stiffness to protect the soles. Any thoughts on brands to look at? I like to stick with leather uppers for durability but will consider others to try to save my feet by increased durability. Waterproofing is a complete non issue, no streams to cross and have not seen rain in the 10 years I have hunted the area.

And no those are not the perfects, I had swapped boots cause they were still wet the next day from the gallon of water my feet sweated!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by varmintsinc; 10/09/10.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If there is room in your existing boots you might try a set of superfeet. They will add a good bit of protection to the bottom of your feet and sole support as well.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
W
W
On my Elk hunt I used an old pair of uninsulated pronghorns with the cold gear under armour hunting socks.Between hiking and hunting I walked over 50 miles without any blisters.I really think it was the socks I was using because one day I switched socks to a different merino wool sock which was a high quality sock.I hunted half of the day and at the end of one toe I started to have a very small blister.I switched back to the UA hunting socks and never had any problems.I am really sold on the UA socks.I also do some trail running and always wear the UA socks and never have any problems with blisters.

Last edited by wappkid; 10/09/10.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What kind of socks are you wearing? They can make a big difference.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I have run different socks over the years, everything from a thin liner, heavy wool and this year it was Cabelas "ultimax" or something like that. It was supposed to be a cool weather sock with good wicking ability but I was just sweating to much. Im pretty sure the heavy sweating was the major culprit in the blisters and not the actual boot fit.

Wappkid I remember trying to use Danners at work years ago and even the uninsulated were just to hot for my feet but I might give the pronghorns a try. If it helps I will usually go down to 30-40degrees before I even think of heavier sock or insulated boots to keep warm.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I backpack hunted early season Archery in the Hells Canyon area of Idaho this year and had great luck with the uninsulated Meindl Alaskan Hikers. I would not say they breathe the best, and I did sweat in them, but the stiff sole and ankle support really seamed to keep my feet locked in. I also had much increased endurance with a 6 times operated on knee and and ankle with 6 screws, two pins, and a rod in it presumably from keeping my feet and ankles locked in better on the steep sidehils than my many Danner boots have in the past.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been going with the beefier trail running shoes for hot weather hunting. I have been using the TNF 104 ultra and it has worked just fine for me chasing goats and spring bear. Probably not for everyone, but for me works for me and it beats the hell out of putting a leather boot on when it is 85.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore those perfeckt hikers quite a bit, if you have wide enough feet they are about as good a boot as you can buy. I never have had a boot work as well in rocky areas as those meindls, but my feet are just too narrow for them to work well.

where are you rifle hunting when its 80 degrees all the time, its cold around here when the rifle hunts hit. meindl has come out with some really light weight hiking shoes, cabelas has them you might check them out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try coating your feet with non-scented arm & hammer antiperspirant, and then a liberal coating of corn starch. Carry both with you and make it a point to stop, take off your socks & boots and let them air out a couple times a day. Then re-coat with a/p and corn starch. I don't have the same issues as you do but I do carry and use corn starch with me, it works great!

MtnHtr

W
W
Originally Posted by jigman222
I have been going with the beefier trail running shoes for hot weather hunting. I have been using the TNF 104 ultra and it has worked just fine for me chasing goats and spring bear. Probably not for everyone, but for me works for me and it beats the hell out of putting a leather boot on when it is 85.
How much weight do you carry when packing?How do your ankles hold up with not much support?I have been looking into a high top rugged trail running shoe for archery elk.Not having much luck.Do you know of any good rugged high top trail running shoes?

Last edited by wappkid; 10/09/10.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been wearing Merrell Moabe (sp?) Hikers for several years for warm weather hiking/hunting.

They're non-waterproof but not full leather.

They give great ankle support and are the "coolest" boots I've found so far.

My feet sweat VERRY heavily.

I'm on my third pair.

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My feet sweat terribly. Been using these all summer, good support, resonable price and very breathable.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442503193&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733839

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just an observation from a lot of years in a lot of boots...

Any boot with Goretex will be quite a bit warmer than the same boot without Goretex.

I like Goretex in hunting boots for snow/cold temps, but it's entirely overrated and largely unneeded in warm weather backpack boots. To me anyway, the "cost-benefit ratio" favors non-goretex boots for warm weather backpacking/hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks for the all comments guys. This was up in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness in northern california. The valley was sitting in the high 90's and even at 8000ft we were still over 80 degrees. I dont think it went under 50 at night all week.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I wear 5.10 approach shoes for real rugged terrain, general mountaineering and backpacking. They are not waterproof. I also use Montrail trail runners a lot. I have some neoprene socks I carry, if I think water will be a problem. I avoid my waterproof boots unless I think water will be a big problem.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wappkid
How much weight do you carry when packing?How do your ankles hold up with not much support?I have been looking into a high top rugged trail running shoe for archery elk.Not having much luck.Do you know of any good rugged high top trail running shoes?

The most i've carried in "shoes" has been in the fifties hauling antelope quarters. Have not had a problem with support. I think both Salomon and Montrail have versions of their trail runners with a high top.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
To me anyway, the "cost-benefit ratio" favors non-goretex boots for warm weather backpacking/hunting.

+1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by wappkid

The most i've carried in "shoes" has been in the fifties hauling antelope quarters. Have not had a problem with support. I think both Salomon and Montrail have versions of their trail runners with a high top.

I don't really think its the ankles that the issue with trail runners. At least for folks who put on miles. Ankles get stronger if you work them out. Its not uncommon to see rock climbers sleep in lots of water and rock gear in low shoes and then put on there rock shoes when it gets steep. Long range hikers have largely made the switch long ago although they rarely carry big weight except in hot dry places.

The difficulty is that many trail runners and low hiking shoes lack the soles for heavy loads.

One issue folks have when they make a transition from stiff high boots to trail shoes is that they have good strong developed legs and upper body for carrying the loads, but their feet and ankles are weak because they have been using boots as a crutch for a long time. Tendons do get stronger, but its a much slower process than conditioning a muscle.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
noknees,
Point very well made regarding the light trail shoes. I remember the first year I hunted this area and decided to pack out a monster load of meat so it would not be gone when we got back (lots of bears). I was using a pair of lightweight Rocky hunting boots. The boots and my feet were toast after the 4 mile hike out. They were totally out of their element (and so was I probably), the rocks were killing my feet and the soles pretty much sheared off the last 1/4mile. Most of the side stitching failed I swore it was gonna be the heavier hiking boots after that. I might go back and try to revist some of the medium grades to try to find a happy balance.

Can anyone recommend brands for fairly narrow feet in general?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mitchum Roll-on anti perspirant.

Apply to feet daily starting a week before your hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.