Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Bought a Sako A-7 in .270 Win last night at BPS on clearance. This is my first Sako, needed it like a hole in my head, but the smooth bolt and light weight sold me. It is a Blued/Synthetic model, and I paid 619 for it. What do yall thank about the A-7, and what should I expect with accuracy.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I looked back through a couple old post about the A-7 and by what the others are saying, It sounds like I want be dissapointed. I plan on taking the action out of the stock and turning the trigger pull down a hair, does anyone know what torque I should put on the action screws (glad to see they are torx screws).

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Factory specifications on the two action screws is 55-57 in-lbs, though I have them set at 35 in-lb and accuracy is under MOA.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sighted in a .270 WSM couple months back for my son-in-law. Have to say was very impressed. Nice and light, very smooth action, like the way the clip is set up.

Definitely needed a Limbsaver recoil pad, though, which he's since added.

My next rifle, if ever, will be one of these or a Tikka T3 in .270 WSM.

He also installed one of those Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 scopes that are specially priced. Man, are those sweet! Awesome clarity and brightness!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The stock is a complete POS. Mine broke 2nd trip to the range. A replacement (if the gun is out of warranty when the stock breaks) is over $450.

RLTW
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Does anyone like McMillan make replacement stocks for them?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nope they don't

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How in the world do you break that stock shooting at a target range? Everything fits tightly within its recesses when torqued, there's nothing to be loose and move. You could probably drive over it with a truck.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My .300wsm shoots 150 ballistics 1" or better 5 shot groups all day if I let the barrel cool.

Nice and slim- very impressed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FullMetalParka

Nice and slim- very impressed.

+1, very slim stock.
The single stack mag allows for a NICE rifle to carry in one hand.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mine broke 2nd trip to the range. A replacement (if the gun is out of warranty when the stock breaks) is over $450

I'd like to see a picture of that.

Was yours under warranty?

I just bought of these Nosler overruns for my A7.
Cheaper than Ballistic Tips.

http://www.nosler.com/View-Product.aspx?productId=51448a85-3855-4db9-b0ef-b436b99e3b54

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like 'em.

And they shoot too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If one of you guys get the new ST model, post a good pic showing the stock. I'd also like to see a good pic of the stock Bell and Carlson made for that special A7 version.

Thanks

Last edited by GaryVA; 10/10/10.

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Had to be a factory flaw that escaped their quality control or something. The stock on my A-7 looks like it is indestructable. Anyone else have a stock problem? I also would like to see the picture of the broken stock. Can not wait to put a few down range with my new A-7. I bought it on a whim, have never owned a Sako but have always heard great things about their accuracy, and have always been impressed with their smooth bolt and reputation.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Any chance you can weigh your A7?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greentimber
The stock is a complete POS. Mine broke 2nd trip to the range. A replacement (if the gun is out of warranty when the stock breaks) is over $450.

I'm guessing a Lead Sled had something to do with it.

That said, I have my eye on a couple STs at the local gun emporium - one in a 7mm-08; the other in 6.5 Swede.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That said, I have my eye on a couple STs at the local gun emporium - one in a 7mm-08; the other in 6.5 Swede.

6.5 Swede? They make them in this?

I'm a buyer if they do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 85 ST comes in 6.5 Swede, not the A7.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K

I just got make from exploring the gunstores this Columbus day.
Scheels in Billings MT has a blue 270 A7 with the soft stock.
It isn't marked that way but the stock is soft rubbery- looks just like the standard.
I didn't think to take a cell phone picture. But you can't see the difference except maybe a little less gloss.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Rifle was two weeks old with under 50 rounds through it (even the sticker on the buttstock is still in mint condition). I was firing on a smooth-plastic benchtop with a Harris Bipod in the front and a bean bag in the rear.

I'm as ready as anyone here to take a rifle out of the box and have a good-shooting lightweight gun I can depend on without spending another $500 on an EDGE, bedding, tweaking, etc. Until this happened, I really liked the A7 even though it didn't shoot as well as it was supposed to with nearly a dozen different loads (factory & handload) tried.

Whether the broken stock is handled under warranty or not remains to be seen. I'll send it in to find out. Hopefully the new stock design others have mentioned is properly reinforced in the forend area. This stock has a column of plastic for the swivel and nothing around it for support. There is still a small glimmer of hope for the A7 in my mind.

Will be taking the Remington 700/EDGE/300WSM/Conquest on my elk hunt this year. It will put 168TTSX into under 3/4" at 100y with practically no load development.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

RLTW
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.