Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dfcjr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
One writer has written that the 338-06 is a 30-06 with a heavy bullet. What conclusion is to be drawn from this statement?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably just stirring the pot. Although an Elk hit with a 200 gr Partition from an 06 vs a 210 Partition from a 338/06 would be just as dead just as quick.

Newt-Condi 2012
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would conclude that he doesn't know how to read a micrometer!
His measurement is off by .030" which is over one full turn. grin
A .270 is just a .243 with a heavy bullet using the same logic.
DUH! No wonder I quit my subscription.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably true, but different is fun. I have had a few and still have one. They were all accurate and fun to load for and shoot. I also like the 35 Whelen. But i also have 4 30-06s in the safe!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Necking up the '06 to shoot a nice big bullet, and then shooting a mouse weight, as is the trend, is evidence of severe retardation due to reading too much Barnes hype. Or are the concepts of SD and BC superceded by the all copper crap with less sustained (downrange) momentum?

Wayne

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Evidence of "Barnes Hype" a dead Mulie, Elk and Moose with 2/3 to 3/4 angling penetration, 35 Whelen 225 gr TSX.

A 338/06 is hardly a "downrange momentum" cartridge, a 340 Weatherby or 338 Lapua it is not.

[Linked Image]

Newt-Condi 2012
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Any cartridge based on the 30-06 case is never a bad thing.

The 338-06 is very different and highly effective on any game animal in NA.

So, IMHO it makes no sense comparing one to another as they are similar in some ways like both can make critters very dead very quickly. But so can many other cartridges.

If all that existed was a 30-06, I'd still be killing stuff but it would sure be boring as a shooter/rifle enthusiast.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BossLady
Evidence of "Barnes Hype" a dead Mulie, Elk and Moose with 2/3 to 3/4 angling penetration, 35 Whelen 225 gr TSX.

A 338/06 is hardly a "downrange momentum" cartridge, a 340 Weatherby or 338 Lapua it is not.

[Linked Image]
What distances were those kills? I only ask because it looks like the bullets almost failed to open. Especially the 3rd bullet on the far right. Did you have any issues with the animal running or was it a drop in his tracks for all of them?

I'm considering trying the tipped TSX in my almost completed 338-06.

Thanks!

Last edited by ScottSpencer; 10/11/10.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by peepsight3006
Necking up the '06 to shoot a nice big bullet, and then shooting a mouse weight, as is the trend, is evidence of severe retardation due to reading too much Barnes hype. Or are the concepts of SD and BC superceded by the all copper crap with less sustained (downrange) momentum?

Wayne

I would respectfully recommend you shoot same animals with Barnes X's before you disregard them as the answer to your question is that, it is not hype.

I have killed animals at 600 odd yards that required 4 foot hold over with a .223 loaded with 53gn X's. Complete penetration and instant kills is more common than not. In all I have killed many, many hundreds of animals with all caliber Barnes X's from .224 to .458 with the exclusion of .264" and the reality is they work irrespective of the paper SD ratings.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Oldman1942!

I'd reserved skepticism over the allegations heaped upon you by others, but that pic proves it.

Schmuck.

Barnes X bullets are one hammer in a whole drawer of very useful tools. They don't justify the cult status some give them, nor to do they deserve the ridicule others direct toward them. Use what you like when you like, just don't dye them colors if you're going to post pics of 'em over and over while acting like multiple different posters. Kinda gives things away...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You twit, if you want me to Photoshop them to make the color better for you, just ask (not that you would know how).

Showing a photo taken by my husband gives "nothing away". You're so paranoid about somebody actually knowing something you might not...... well that is giving a lot away. Most recommended bullet by African PHs is .... TSX

257 Ackley improved .... LOl, talk about faked up ballistics, only Roy Gibbs made up better stories than P.O.
Will do nothing a 25-06 won't except save 4 ounces of rifle weight.... a big deal..... right? Oops I forgot you do need a long action so you can seat the bullets out far enough to get in enough powder to try and duplicate 25-06 velocity. And it's great being able to buy loaded ammo for them at any gun shop...LOL! Only a SCHMUCK would build a rifle that has to be handloaded has no resale value and offers no benefit over a bone stock 700 25-06.

Now for the intelligent question from Scott. Yes they were all one shot kills. Yes they were pretty far for a 35 Whelen but no major bones were hit (where the Barnes really shines).
The TTSX you are considering is designed to open faster than a TSX. We now use them for all deer and antelope but stick to the TSX for bigger stuff. Good shooting!

Newt-Condi 2012
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
*** You are ignoring this user ***

Sorry... didn't understand that last post, OM42...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had you read it, it would have made no difference.
There is no cure for stupid.
Welcome to ignore.

Newt-Condi 2012
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
*** You are ignoring this user ***

Why do you keep repeating yourself crazy Larry??

Barnes is the only bullet... Barnes is the only bullet...

I knew a kid like you who rode a shorter bus in elementary school... always rocking back and forth spewing non-sense over and over...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems like the crap seems to be oozing down from the fire. Damn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot many critters with barnes from the original X, Blue meenies, TSXs, etc, and was a huge fan for years, wouldn't shoot anything else. I was drinking the Kool-Aid before it was Kool. When driven hard and/or into bone they work. Be happy to post up the ones I recovered if I can find them... and have a few.

Barnes BCs tend to comparatively suck, and so does expansion at low velocity...

I started using different mouse traps and animals started dropping noticeably quicker. NAB, AMAX, VLD... even some partitions thrown in which I was recently informed is 'Retro'. grin

You pays your money and makes your choice. All copper slugs work VERY well if you shoot for bone and have a fairly high impact velocity. IMHE, you can to the same with lower impact velocity and less recoil with something else...

Can't understand why anyone would shoot them at less than warp speed or shoot them long distance.

There was a time when I wanted nothing more than for Barnes to sack up and offer the 100gr 6.5 again after I ran out of original Xs... by the time they got around to it I'd moved on.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
wonder how many gritters those three bullets have taken . the list seems to be growing. think this about the 5th thread i've seen that pic on

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why is BossLady always flapping her gums when commenting on some one else's post? If she is bored then she should go to another site to bark her crap, it messes up the reading here....

A lot of people like the 257 Ackley and a lot of people like the 2506, I like both.....

I am sure the game doesn't care....lol.

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by croldfort
It seems like the crap seems to be oozing down from the fire. Damn.

Yeah, there are trolls all over. As soon as I identify them I just do the ignore thing.

I love both the 30-06 & the 338-06, personally. I have two of the former, one of the latter, and am in the process of building yet another.

I'm a firm believer in the "bigger is(/can be) better" Keith school...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree efw, I like the 338-06 which to me shines once you get to the 210's and over in comparison to the 30-06

Matt,
like your post. Variety is the spice of life and there are many good ones out there. I've been using the Nosler BT, PT and new AB for years, guess I am retro. I'm not a Barnes hater, as I have 2 boxes of 120's sitting on the shelf to try in my 7-08 but again I'm not a lover forsaken all others.

I saw the pix by BossLady and would agree that OM1942 is back. I have read that they were one in the same but the photo confirms. Why would you pretend to be a woman whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 61 invisible), 17,749 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,938
Posts18,539,266
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.