Print Thread
Hop To
Page 495 of 1,842 1 2 493 494 495 496 497 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You still thinking fixed power or variable?

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm tinking variable. Jeremy thinks I should get a 3.5x10x40. I don't really know.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Just my opinion but people (myself included) seem to come full circle on scopes.

Big scopes, vide variable ranges etc. Then after hunting for a while like that most settle back into simpe 3-9X 40mm or fixed power scopes like a 4 or 6 power (more 4's than 6's I suppose)

You can hardly go wrong though, get it mounted in some decent rings and get something with good eye relief, then get the scope to eye distance set correctly for what fits you. Even if it means offset rings or what ever.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Muffy
Well dad, mom, and I are going to go scope shopping for me tomorrow. We are going to Scheels. Any last suggestions on what I should get?

I have been looking at range finders also. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money. I think I have it narrowed down to 2.

2 scopes or rangefinders. I don't know a dang thing about a range finder. I'd look at that 4x Leupold that Dave, Dusty, and I talked about a few weeks ago at Chickenbuck. Or a VX-II Leupold 2x7x33

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 rangefinders. Either a Redfield Raider 550, or a Leupold Rx-600 laser. Scopes I'm still not sure. Hope it gets figured out tomorrow.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are a Firearm Safety instructor you get some AMAZING discounts from Leupold and Burris and a few others. I have done it and if'n I remember correctly is was less than half the cost of what you would pay retail.

I have had Leupold and Burris and they have both been fantastic.

12 hours now until blast off. I am like a little kid on Christmas Eve.

I have been after a wood duck for the wall for about the last 10 years. Dont do a lot of duck hunting, but do some. Well in the last 8 days I have shot 3 that are wall worthy, all right out my back door. grin Oh, I hope Mama didnt see the Taxidermy bill! whistle

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have fun on your hunting trip. There better be lots of pictures posted when you get back. smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't have a big desire to shoot ducks but I would like a Woody or two for the wall. Such a cool looking duck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a Swarovski rangefinder for many years and to tell you the truth I have never needed it once for Minnesota hunting. That is becasue most shots in Minnesota for deer are usually going to be between 50 and 200 yards, which means that if you sight your gun in for being exactly on the mark at about 130 yards you can aim strait on from 50 to 200 yards and not have to worry about anything.

As for scopes, I finally got wise this year. Took off the heavy variable (zeiss conquest) and put on a lightweight old used Buris signature 4x. Should be no problem anywhere in Minnesota, and its nice and light weight to complement the Kimber Montana which is also nice and light in weight. (you spend a lot more time carrying them than shooting them)

Good luck this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would only use the rangefinder for bow hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't been able to log in here for about a week but since I can, I'll throw my $0.02 in

Not that I know anything about guns, scopes, or deer hunting but......
I'd stick with the 40mm scope. Better light gathering without the need for crazy high mounts.
Also a variable is good to "zoom in" & get a better look at your target before you make the decision to squeeze.
I'm not familiar with your hunting territory around home but at Chickenbuck there is really no need for anything more than a fixed 4 or so. OTOH if you head a few miles West around my stomping grounds, a person can shoot as far as he/she cares to.

My personal preference on my deer rifles. 3.5-10x40mm, but I do own a couple 3-9x40mm also.

Of course this all goes out the window if I'm carrying that little handgun that Dusty took a fancy to. I'll keep the iron sights on that & keep the shots under 80 yards or so.

Frost on the ground this morning is giving me the itch to get in the woods again!

White Bear out!

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There ya have it folks, the white bear speak heap big trooth.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We ain't go no frost. frown It's dang near hot down here. High 60's and low 70's. Not the weather I'm looking for, but it's been great to get my fall yard work done. I think today I'm going to clean the boat out and get it ready for winter.

Missy,

The fixed 4x scopes are nice, durable, and simple. There is no forgetting your scope in on 9x when you looked at the deer way down range.

That being said, I like the variables like White Bear and Dave suggest. Then you have the best of both worlds if you need to. Just remember to keep it on 3 or for around chickenbuck for those 25 yard shots.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Berettaman and his dad have been on the road for a few hours now guys. Chasing the wapati. Wish them luck. Driving srtaight through to CO (I think). I'm pretty sure he invited all of us to his house when he gets back. He said he's grilling elk backstraps for us all because he likes us so much.

I'm not kidding. I'll get his address and we can show up next weekend. wink

Last edited by tzone; 10/13/10. Reason: I'm retarted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I decided to go with the fixed scope. It is not like I go out west elk or mule deer hunting. Although it would be nice to have the extra options. Well I guess we will see when we get there. Dad is buying the scope for me. Maybe they will give us a better deal if I buy a rangefinder too. smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm going to get a fixed 4x scope for my .22 when I get a chance ($) too. I like them and for shots 100yds and in it's all I really need. I'm going to get the Leupold VX2.

You'll probably get a real good deal when Dusty buys a 45-70 Encore today too.

Can't wait to see it D. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fixed shmixed. I don't want someone elses refurbished stuff. Buy new.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm going to get a fixed 4x scope for my .22 when I get a chance ($) too. I like them and for shots 100yds and in it's all I really need. I'm going to get the Leupold VX2.

You'll probably get a real good deal when Dusty buys a 45-70 Encore today too.

Can't wait to see it D. smile

Yeah, just the look on my dads face when he saw that gun was "Priceless". You better keep a close eye on that gun if you bring it back to camp White Bear. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to show you all this picture of Dozer. I started up my 4 wheeler on Monday to go move my trail camera, and Dozer jumped on it and just waited for me to take him for a ride. He loves riding up there. He sits real good and if he gets tired he lays down on the bags.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Muffy; 10/13/10.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thats funny. I tried that with my Daisy dog and she couldn't get off fast enough. She hated it! Back when she was younger, she used to love to run next to it down the road though.

Last edited by tzone; 10/13/10.

Page 495 of 1,842 1 2 493 494 495 496 497 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.