Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Has anyone had good luck with remington brass for the 300 weatherby mag?Ive read some really negative reviews on the rem stuff on midwayusa.com.It seems like the best stuff is remington and norma.Is this all the good quality brass available for the 300weatherby?

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."--James Madison
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have gotten decent accuracy from the Remington brass - 3/4 inch at 100 yards with 180 gr Partitions. That brass does seem to require less powder, though.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Remington .300 Weatherby brass that I have been using for the last four years has given me OK groups, but in the older MK V's made in West Germany with the 1 turn in 12" you will find that the edge will go to the Weatherby marked Norma brass or the Norma marked brass. I have tried both nickled and standard brass in the Remington brand, I can not give you a recommendation of one over the other. The nickle plated brass sure looks cool! In my American made AccuMark the Remington brass should do fine for you. I broke-in my .300 Weatherby AccuMark last year with standard Rem brass with Rem bronze points and in the process developed a couple of loads that would all shoot into the same hole at 100 yards and 3/4 to 1" at 200 yards. One group at 200 was 1/2 inch, but I have only been able to duplicate that twice. I have both of my .300 Weatherbys scoped with 6.5 to 20 power scopes. This past Thursday afternoon I shot the old MK V in .300 Wby and a new AccuMark in .30/378 Wby and the old MK, which was manufactured in 1961, using some Wby brass that was manufactured in 8/54 shot 5 bullets into the same hole, which measured .45". This load was 79 grains of IMR-4350, 180gr Sierra spitzer flat base bullet, Federal GMM 215M primer, with a COL of 3.770". I would not recommend this load as a begining load in your rifle as it is in excess of current loading data. But, with the freebore in the old West German MK's and having used this load for the last 30 years in this rifle with no high pressure signs, not even flat primers. I would say given a little development, you might be able to use or approach this load in current Norma/Weatherby brass in your rifle. The COL may be different for your rifle.

Sorry, I got off the subject a bit. I have gotten good groups with the Remington brass as well as the Norma brass. BTW, Hornady now makes brass for the .300 Wby, but I have not tried it yet. If you want me to, I will look at my data for the .300 Wby, that I have developed and send it to you as a time saver in your own accuracy quest. If you have any other questions on other calibers, please feel free to ask, I have been loading for about 35 years and load many calibers. I buy most my brass from Blue Star, Remington's distributor in Sercey, Arkansas.

I hope this helps!
Good luck at the range.
Marcus,

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use both rem and factory weatherby brass. The rem comes all beat up and requires some cleaning and tuning. The neck thickness is not as good on rem as the factory weatherby brass. Also if you don't have freebore like a weatherby the rem brass seems to sometimes require up to 3 grains less powder. When I buy rem brass I true up the case mouths and neck turn the necks slightly. I have the equipment to do about 100 rounds in about 1.5 hours. After a good tuning the rem brass will shoot as good as weatherby. (It probably shoots as good without my tuning but I'm a guy that just has to "fiddle" around sometimes.)

ALL that being said. I did buy some Hornady brass and for the price IT LOOKS VERY IMPRESSIVE. If it's as good as some of the other hornady I've bought lately I think it will be the VALUE winner. (I haven't shot it yet but think it could be a great buy.) Very consistant dimensions, wt, and good runnout without tuning. I'll try and paste a place that might have a really good offer--loaded hornady ammo for about what you'd pay for factory weatherby empties--shoot em and then use the brass?????

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/de...%52%4E%41%44%59

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dixie,

I bought a box of 500 Rem. .300 Wby brass a couple of years ago. Have had good accuracy with it but with the brass I already had I haven't shot up as much as I thought I might. I would probably give you a good deal on 250 of them if you are interested. Shipping might be pricey though, I could check.

Let me know if you're interested.

Jeff

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Dixie,

I bought a box of 500 Rem. .300 Wby brass a couple of years ago. Have had good accuracy with it but with the brass I already had I haven't shot up as much as I thought I might. I would probably give you a good deal on 250 of them if you are interested. Shipping might be pricey though, I could check.

Let me know if you're interested.

Jeff

If he doesn't take it, I might be interested in it. I have a Vangard 300 Weatherby that shoots really good. All I have used is Remington Brass as with the shooting I do, it is all I can afford.

It hold around 4 grs less powder than Weatherby brass. I load up loads accordinly and have had no problems.

I get fantastic accuracy with Remington 300 brass. It does come kind of dinged up and yucky looking but a FL size to true it and a "bath" in the tumbler over night, makes it look better.

I haven'yt used the nickel Rem brass as I have little sucess with nickel handgun brass as it chips and flakes and I just have a bad taste in my mouth with nickel brass.

Remington brass is a good value in my book.

I am interested in the 250 cnt. brass you have left over.

Post a response when you figure out the frieght to Idaho, or approxamate frieght.

CM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 10,379 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,367
Posts18,547,042
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.