-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My aunt in Ohio uses one of the light boards. She swears it helps.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Would you puleeze take it away?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes, daylight-simulating (cool/blue) lights are a definite help. Both my lady friend and my brother use light panels to great effect.

Stanford, IIRC, had a study some many years back reinforcing the use of such lighting not only for SAD but for improved acuity overall.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a bear's den, in the wintertime, with a thick layer of leaves on the floor of the den, is to be recognized as an important part of the solution, right? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have SAD to a limited degree-I find, that besides regular exercise, having something fun to do that you can look forward to is also a help. Whether a quick weekend get-away,a hobby, volunteering on the weekends,whatever-get out and do something entertaining, and out of your normal everyday routine.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If you, of all people, have been depressed this past winter, I'd suggest to JO that his wife follow your advice. You're the most S.A.Dless person on the 24.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
If you, of all people, have been depressed this past winter, I'd suggest to JO that his wife follow your advice. You're the most S.A.Dless person on the 24.

Thank you for that, Bob!
smile
I do indeed struggle with depression some-but there are many ways around it, for certain.
Heck, this place helps me out in the winter a fair bit-.There are lots of good folks here-it has been an enjoyable experience for me.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Be not weary in well doing.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
full spectrum light's really work. You can replace only those bulbs where you wife likes to sit at the hgouse, or all of them. There are also full spectrum facial lights that she can sit in front of for 30 minutes a day. And, when it is sunny, get her into the sun whenever possible.
SAD sucks, it is real, and it can compound underlying depressive things, making matters worse.
She should also talk to her doc, about a possible med therapy. Welbutrin is one that is used in conjuction with the full spectrum therapy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by teal
There's supposed to be these sunlight deals - dunno how they work.

Odd - we were talking about this today at work. I'm the anti-SAD. I hate spring and summer and it depresses the hell outta me. I'm happier when it's fall/winter with the cold and gray.

Off topic a hair... but I'm with ya... cold and gray are my days... Wife hates em and gets depressed if the sun is gone for a couple of days..... She just handles it somehow....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Betting a divorce will brighten every day for the rest of her life.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now THAT looks like some common sense.

...of COURSE she's "S.A.D.",.....look what she's stuck with !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayers for your wife Jeff

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still think yer an azzhole though!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lighting is huge. Many years ago when I was in the lighting biz, I put together a big custom made 4' square light fixture that was crammed with daylight spectrum fluorescent bulbs for a client who had severe SAD problems. He said it helped, he used to sit in front of it for a short time every day.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live just a few hundred miles from the Arctic Circle -- and that means lot of LONG winter nights starting, well, now!

Doctors here often do prescribe those full-spectrum high-intensity lights. I have heard that (if prescribed by a doctor), one can even deduct them from your taxes as a medical expense.

I haven't tried one, but I've heard enough reports that they not only help people with SAD, but that they help people without SAD feel more energetic. Might try to borrow one for testing some time.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell her you consulted a doc and he said more sex will usually cure it.

Worth a try!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 64 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,160
Posts18,484,333
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.