Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
You guys have clearly taken this to another level. It's kinda weird but I'm picturing you all shooting with tape on your glasses and wearing pocket protectors and camo hats. grin

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Camo hats????

de W7DB, ex K7OWJ

smile

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went metal frame on the glasses but has some kinks from playing with the dogs if that counts. grin

73, de KF0MD ex KE2KF, gotta sit for the extra if I ever seriously get back into it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was gone hunting for a few days, so missed getting in on the beginning of this one, but here are a few observations:

I got my first chronograph, from the Custom Chronograph Company in Washington state, in 1979. It had both breaking screens and light screens, and both provided the same readings. It worked very well but eventually broke down and the company was no longer around. It was pretty slow anyway, since it was the old style where you had to turn a switch and note which lights went on, then translate that into velocity from a table. But it was but was very consistent.

I then bought a Chrony and used it for quite a while until one day I was shooting a .41 Magnum revolver and forgot that one load with 170-grain bullets shoots a lot lower than my normal load with 220-grain bullets. The Chrony was 20 feet from the muzzle, since I was testing a .416 Rem. Magnum on the same day which always caused muzzle-blast problems, and I plunked the Chrony. It did a backflip, and had a hole all the way through the middle.

Replaced it with another, but soon shot it as well. However, this was only with a sabot from a shotgun slug load, which didn't actually put a hole in it. The Chrony people exchanged it for a new one.

So now I am on my 3rd Chrony, and it doesn't work as well as the first. (The second wasn't around long enough to come to any conclusions.) It gives readings that vary 5% or so depending on light conditions, and also misses quite a few shots. Unlike Denton's, it seems to do better on cloudy days, and that has been confirmed since I received my new Oehler 35 from the new batch Dr. Ken is making this year.

So far no shots have been missed by the 35, and I am really liking the proof channel. It isn't nearly as light-condition sensitive as any of my Chronys have been. I also suspect that the 4-foot rail makes precise alignment a necessity, which helps with consistent readings. Life is better.

PS--I have been "calibrating" my chronographs with the same batch of Remington .22 ammo, shot from the same .22 rifle, for many years now. Dunno if it helps or not.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 10/13/10. Reason: post-script

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Chrony people exchanged it for a new one.

I can't help but wonder if the replacement units they send out are units that someone else returned because they were unhappy with them.

It seems like there are two subgroups of Shooting Chronys. Most of them seem to work just fine. There seems to be another group that just won't behave.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
infrared skyscreens and a 16 MHz clock. Available from NECO and expensive, but seems to take care of concerns expressed here. Light makes no difference, can be used in the dark.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by denton
[quote]I can't help but wonder if the replacement units they send out are units that someone else returned because they were unhappy with them.

It seems like there are two subgroups of Shooting Chronys. Most of them seem to work just fine. There seems to be another group that just won't behave.

I think the shooters location plays a part. Also, a lot of shooters just assume it is reading right.

I don't have any firm "statistical" type numbers but my feeling is the 375 H&H is more likley to read high on a Chrony than other calibres.

As a side note my first chroograph was the Ohler 10, about 1970-71 I think. In Australia at that time it cost about the same as 270 Sako grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Several times I shot over three different brands of chronographs on the same day. Sometimes shot each consecutively and sometimes I lined them all up in a row and had 1 bullet trip all the chronos.
The three brands were a ProChrono Digital, a Shooting Chrony Beta, and an Oehler 35.
Each time and in every test all three recorded similar velocities, IIRC well under 1% difference.
When the chronograph were lined up in a row I was frankly surprised by how closely the recorded velocities matched the predicted velocities based on distance from the muzzle.
My conclusion was that all three brands were accurately recording velocities and it increased the trust I have in the results I get with a chronograph.

Just what I've always wanted to hear from someone. Have long suspected that this was the case. Thanks for the post.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I were to market chronographs, I'd want them to read high. They would sell better because guys could brag about how fast their loads are and no one would be questioning if there was something wrong with their gun or their chronograph. Returns would be very rare. smile

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,892
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.