Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Marlin's "X" bolt guns have gotten some serious publicity because of the kind of accuracy you get for the money. I searched far and wide - every Academy database in Texas - to find the 1 Texas Academy that had a XS7 in 308. Slapped a new Vortex 2.5-7x32 Viper with Talleys on top and made a quite light, good looking rifle.

Problem is, I can't get her to shoot. Only tried 1 ammo so far - off the shelf box of Hornady SST in 150 grain. Grouping in the 3-4 inch range. So far I've checked the following:

- Scope Rings/Bases
- Action Screws
- Crown
- Cleaned the barrel

Anything else I'm missing before I label this one a DUD and send her into Marlin for surgery??

HR IC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Problem is, I can't get her to shoot. Only tried 1 ammo so far - off the shelf box of Hornady SST in 150 grain.

Of all the things you've tried, you've missed the most glaringly obvious thing to try from the beginning...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Marlin's "X" bolt guns have gotten some serious publicity because of the kind of accuracy you get for the money. I searched far and wide - every Academy database in Texas - to find the 1 Texas Academy that had a XS7 in 308. Slapped a new Vortex 2.5-7x32 Viper with Talleys on top and made a quite light, good looking rifle.

Problem is, I can't get her to shoot. Only tried 1 ammo so far - off the shelf box of Hornady SST in 150 grain. Grouping in the 3-4 inch range. So far I've checked the following:

- Scope Rings/Bases
- Action Screws
- Crown
- Cleaned the barrel

Anything else I'm missing before I label this one a DUD and send her into Marlin for surgery??

...........Try other brands of factory ammo in 150 gr, 165 gr and 180 gr to see if the groups tighten up. More than one box should be used with different bullet weights.

After that if they don`t tighten up, the problem is with the rifle or scope somewhere; bedding, loose scope reticle, barrel etc.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
You could buy a set headspace go/no-go gauges, and barrel nut wrench to dial in the headspace yourself, but given it's brand new, Factory service may be the best course.

Check out Marlin owner's forum. They have an on-going discussion about XL/XS 7's, with lotsa opinions on this issue.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've only shot Fed/Rem/Win ammo in the Marlin XL/XS-7s that I shot and all 20+ have shot no worse then 1.5 MOA. These rifles have been in 243, 270, 308, and 30-06, but none in 25-06 or 7mm-08.

If changing ammo doesn't work, try a different scope. Even a new scope could have something loose and it only takes a 1/100" shift at the scope to move the impact points all over the paper at 100 yards.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you run the barrel in correctly???

A friend of mine who is a top benchrest shooter tells me that more barrels are screwed up due to the fact that they arent run in properly when the gun is new.

Makes a big diffrence.

Also do check that the pressure pads inside the front of the stock havent been removed. Many Marlins shoot well without any alterations, but remove the factory bedding blocks and you are in trouble.
CK

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Try blue box plain Jane Federal 150 grain and 165 grain. I read a bunch about these rifles before I bought my grandson's 270 and all reported good results with the cheap Federal ammo. I did, and when zeroing grandsons rifle it worked well - three in one hole at 100 yards, repeated three times! If that doesn't work, the scope is the next likely suspect, although I suspect leaving the speedbumps in the stock barrel channel is for the best also.

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My Opinion,

I believe that the design of the gun is sound, but the manufacturing technique's they use today is real crappy.
I would also suspect that the scope is not up to par - but could not prove that without putting it on a second rifle and trying it out myself.

I guess I am getting old and set in my ways, but today's guns just don't compare with what was made 40 years ago.

I have never used one of your scopes before and I am not a big fan of tactical scopes, but if what they say about it is true, it is probably a really good scope.

The .308 rifle likes shooting 150 gr bullets and is a dog with 180 gr bullets.

I too am a firm believer in breaking in the barrel before expecting accuracy. Howa1500Man has the right idea.

I would check the stock for free float and then I would check the crown on the end of the barrel with a magnification loop and then I would check the bore with a bore scope and I might even go as far as to slug the barrel and see what diameter it cleaned up at. There is a lot of things that affects accuracy. (If there was a head space issue, I would think that there would be obvious signs at the bottom of the shell, look just past the extractor grove and see if there is any pressure signs, cracks, black marks etc.

Some people shoots rifles and then doesn't pick up their empties - so it is not always possible to ask these questions because if they don't have the empty shells on hand, there is no way for sure to know if there is any issues.

With a new production rifle like yours, a 1 1/2 inch spread is probably acceptable for factory standards. 3 -4 inches would be like a softball sized pattern on the target. Not good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another dumbphuck classic from dumchitbeer.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't heard of anyone getting a bad X gun yet.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
My Opinion,

The .308 rifle likes shooting 150 gr bullets and is a dog with 180 gr bullets.

Both of my 308s must really be "off" shocked

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think we need a special column here at the fire just for Duquensebeer and Swampy 700 words of wisdom. Heck we could even let Boss Lady post there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no fan of BossLady but at least he gets it right some of the time and he has alot of cool rifles.

D-beer and Swampy just don't.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
I think we need a special column here at the fire just for Duquensebeer and Swampy 700 words of wisdom. Heck we could even let Boss Lady post there.

+1... Bossy's Swamp Beer 700 Club forum?

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Has anyone seen any of the Stainless/synthetic models? Wondering if they are out yet.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Did you give the gun a good cleaning before taking it to the range? My XL7 is a good shooter but when i brought her home she was caked with lubricant from the factory. Took about 20 swipes thru the barrel to get all the gunk out. If you didn't clean it, try that and try new ammo.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
yeah, when i went and looked at them i was suprised that one had so much gunk in the bore that i could barely see rifling.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm still betting it was 308s hate 180s even though he was shooting 150s laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad bought one of the youth 7mm-08 xs7 for my little sister and the first 4 shots he shot out of it with 120gr Fusions went 3 in one hole and a 4th about a 1/4" from the other 3. Seriously thinking about buying one for myself.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope they make one in 7mm mag soon.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 61 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.