Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Looking for a decent blaze orange outer shell. Anyone seen such a thing?

I have plenty of nice outdoor wear, but can never seem to find a decent blaze orange jacket. Since I only wear it one week a year, I was thinking of just getting some type of outer shell and wearing a wool coat or something under it.

Thanks!

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Back in da day, before I could afford a decent blaze parka/jacket.... We all used to buy really big blaze orange zip up hoodies and put them on over a winter carhart or what ever we had for a jacket.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Back in da day, before I could afford a decent blaze parka/jacket.... We all used to buy really big blaze orange zip up hoodies and put them on over a winter carhart or what ever we had for a jacket.

I prefer a orange hoodie,size 3x. they go on sale right after season,ya know.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in da day . . . .

Still works today.

they go on sale right after season,ya know

Yep, they sure do (except Gander Mtn - they leave them out all year!!)!

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bass Pro flyer came today, orange fleece hoodies went on sale in my town for $14.94 yesterday.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get a fleece vest from Cabela's.

Jeff

K
K
I started to sew blaze material onto my good coat, so that I wouldn't have to struggle putting a vest over it. Then I read where MO does not allow that. It HAS to be a vest, shirt, or jacket of some sort.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You could buy a nice wool coat or nice camo water proof deal and pick up one of the cheap blaze vests. throw the vest over whatever you have and rock on.

I like the vest's you can wear it over a sweat shirt if it's warm or over a heavy jacket if it's cold.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A quick internet search turned up this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RutWear8482-MST-Waterproof-Pullover/1089193.uts

It's not exactly what I have, but I have something just like it just Cabela's branded that I think I paid like $40 for after last season. I've given up on the cheap vest and oversized jackets. Heck even the above at $60 ought to just about last you a lifetime with just a little care.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of these a few years ago and really like it. Lots of pockets and roomy without being bulky.

Ultimate pack vest

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After several years of wearing a K-mart blaze coat then going through a few cheapo blaze vests (and after getting a real job) I bit the bullet and bought: http://www.filson.com/products/blaze-orange-cruiser-vest.10062.html

I will sit in a blind opening day all day and if seeing deer the second but I get restless and will break it up by doing some still hunting. Thanks to sites like these and reading what the elk, sheep, goat hunters were doing I ditched the heavy wool coat for when I'm on the move. I will wear light layers and throw on a Micropuff pullover on when I stop. I got it in bonfire orange which is close enough to blaze, $70 on sale. Don't think its made anymore but similar to: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-micro-puff-jacket?p=83906-0-616

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I bought one of these a few years ago and really like it. Lots of pockets and roomy without being bulky.

Ultimate pack vest

I have one of them too. It sits in the truck a lot though. It is heavy. I bought a nice zipper fleese vest that you can't even tell you have on. It's great.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From Cabela's, I like the NaturalGear blaze-camo vest the best of any that I've tried to date. I find the packvests; Ultimate Pack Vest, Pro Guide Vest, and Primos Gun Hunter Vest to be too bulky, particularly if you're sitting on a stand. I'm layering and carrying a pack with my extra stuff that I can remove with I'm sitting. Plenty of room for a radio with earbuds, bottles of H2O, candy, a piss bottle, TP, a paperback, etc. and easy to remove and leave behind if you want to do a little spot & stalk without carrying a ton of stuff everywhere you go.

Jeff

Last edited by 260Remguy; 10/15/10. Reason: Added comment
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think that some people must really be cheap that they refuse to spend money on a new hunting suit from time to time and doesn't want to spend even the minimum amount of money on safety.

When my dad was in the US Navy in the 1950's, he came home with swatches of material that he retrieved from parachutes that were used for emergency bailout only, that had brilliant colors, which he brought home and planned to sew onto his wool hunting coat for deer hunting.

I guess if he would have patented his idea he would be rich today, because most states requires some type of mandatory Blaze Orange for all hunters in their rifle seasons.

Dad understood that when they hunted in the big woods that there was a lot of bullets flying around and that it was important for other hunters to be able to identify you as a hunter and not a deer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put the vest on the coat and leave it on until the season is over.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm glad all I have worry about is a blaze hat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're required to wear a blaze or blaze/camo hat as a minimum. I go with a vest because I usually wear a camo fleece balaclava over my hat in cold weather.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
I think that some people must really be cheap that they refuse to spend money on a new hunting suit from time to time and doesn't want to spend even the minimum amount of money on safety.

When my dad was in the US Navy in the 1950's, he came home with swatches of material that he retrieved from parachutes that were used for emergency bailout only, that had brilliant colors, which he brought home and planned to sew onto his wool hunting coat for deer hunting.

I guess if he would have patented his idea he would be rich today, because most states requires some type of mandatory Blaze Orange for all hunters in their rifle seasons.

Dad understood that when they hunted in the big woods that there was a lot of bullets flying around and that it was important for other hunters to be able to identify you as a hunter and not a deer.

It not so much that I don't to spend the money. It just seems like there are so many great new "technical" clothing styles in camo and solid colors, but nothing offered in Blaze Orange.

I would be willing to spend some money if I could find something other than the typical cotton filled blaze Orange parka.

I just hate how bulky everything is. I would love to find a blaze orange windbreaker type jacket with a more athletic fit that can by used over other layers.

I know alot of people mentioned the vest, I guess I would just prefer alittle more blaze orange than a vest provides. Lots or crazy bullet slingers in the area I hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, I prefer a vest to a jacket because it doesn't have arms. If a guy can't see 400 square inches of blaze front/back and hat, I doubt that blaze sleeves are going to save you.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

Got a felt like vest in orange with brown branch patterns. Quiet, easy to slip on and off for hitting the restaurant in the evening and morning, and the patterns help break up your outline.

Then I go and sit in my box blind all day. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 25 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.