Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys,

Well, after long consideration and a lot of thought about what type of 'late season' boots I wanted, I ended up buying 3 pairs of Meindl Winter 800's from Cabelas to try on and find my 'perfect' sized pair.

I bought 11, 11.5 and 12. I wear a 10.5 Wide in the Lowa Sheephunter but most of my footwear is size 11 or 11.5

Its between the 11.5 and the 12, and most of the decision comes down to what I feel like I should be able to wear in these boots for socks.

The 11.5 fits with a pair of smartwool liner and regular outer sock. Standard size sock and has just enough fit to make them a great 'mountain' boot. They dont have a pile of 'play' to them but they are not tight in any place.

The 12 is a bit bigger, and with a 'regular' type smartwool sock and liner they are a bit 'roomy' with enough room to wiggle my toes a bit easier, move my foot around a touch, etc. I can cinch them right up if needed and could probably put a bigger insole in if required. They are 'long' but not so much that I seem to be moving around in them when walking around the house. They feel and look big on the 'exterior' but feel decent.

With a thicker warm sock, the size 12 boots fit like a glove and the 11.5 is way too snug. I couldnt wear a thick sock in the 11.5.

So, my question (after all that ramble) is what do you think is more important? Fitting the 11.5 with a regular type sock but not having any 'play' room, or wearing a slightly bigger boot, cinching them when needed, having the ability to wear the thick sock when needed, and have a bit more 'air' room to keep my feet warm if I was sitting in a stand for several hours? Or does the 'perfect' fit with a standard sock win out for mountain hiking.

Okay....enough ramble....opinions please?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rackmastr,

Like yourself, I chose the Miendl 800's for my cold weather boot. My intended use for these boots is slightly different than yours so I will not be using a liner/heavy sock combo.

My "perfect" fit is using a merino wool Lorpen hunting extreme sock only. I'll be hopefully chasing after Mt. Lions in the Clearwater, so I don't want a lot of extra room.

I wore mine last night to the HS football game. My feet were very toasty in the 54deg air.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea its a tough choice really for me. I ALWAYS wear a liner/sock combo in my Lowas, and plan on using the same type of sock combo in these boots for the most part. I'm curious if I ever want the ability to wear a slightly heavier sock however. Kinda thinking not, but I guess my main concern with going with the 11.5 is the fact that they are pretty form fitting right now and I dont want them to have the chance to 'shrink' up at all on me.

Lots to consider...I'm sure tonight while around the house I'll be wearing them both!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have not owned the Meindl winter boots, but I have insulated danners and the thinsulate seemed to compress after a few hikes. Something to keep in mind.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks man......BTW I heard you killed a good ram this year?? Would love to see it!

I think I am actually going with the 12's....the 11's are quite snug with even an average pair of socks and liner...I'd rather have the room with a good insole in the boot.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not had the 800's, but have had all the other meindls. what I found is they work best for me if they are not too long. they need to fit right, right away. I would put them on and go hike a steep hill ans see if the extra lenght bothers you on the way up, or the shortness pinches your toes on the way down. the meindl will not compress remotely as much as a danner or guide series boot.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the winter 800s for two years. I removed the insoles and replaced them with my custom orthotics. 11.5 works for me, which is about my regular size these days. I use a cushioned Thorlo sock that is mostly wool, but with some sythetics, inluding Lycra mixed in. Have used these socks for nearly 20 years. Never needed liners. They don't slip and provide cushioning to the toes and heel. Fit snuggly in the boot. Only boot I wore last year November through February. I think you are right going with the 12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm the same as AB, took out the insole and put it in a different insole. My needs in the Meindl 800 call for a thin poly and a heavy Smartwool, though most of my hunting involves a bit more sitting than most.

I must be the only person on earth (read a bunch of the Cabela's reviews prior to purchase) that found the boot actually fit true to size or was a bit bigger. I ordered three pairs and found the 11 wide served my purpose. (I'm a 10.5/11 tweener dependent on make)

I LOVE the boots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do you get rid of the walking "squeak"? CB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (02bfishn, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,571
Posts18,491,880
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.