Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 500 of 1,842 1 2 498 499 500 501 502 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Spent a wonderful cool morning in da woods by myself fixing up an old deer stand. It was very peaceful. Saw a doe and a fawn being chased by a spiker. I'd be willig to bet it was the same one I saw a few weeks ago. Little guy, 120# or less.

It was all fun until I blew my back out again. Then it was still fun, it just was painful fun.

Here's the work horse of the day hauling the gear.
[Linked Image]

Here's how it looked when I got there.
[Linked Image]

bout 1/2way done
[Linked Image]

Here's a couple finished shots. Finished for this year anyway.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the type of stand you hunt your way to. You are just as likely to shoot a buck on your way there as you are when you're in it. Lots of sign on the 1/2 mile walk in. I took the wheeler there to carry all the stuff, but plan to leave it at the truck durring the season. Not hard walking at all, but man is there sign.

Last edited by tzone; 10/17/10.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here's a few from the tree stand.

Looking south east.
[Linked Image]

Looking east
[Linked Image]

northwest
[Linked Image]

south
[Linked Image]

Here is a shot from the ground looking northwest. It's a lot thicker than it looks from the tree.
[Linked Image]

Later this winter or next year, I'm going to put on a roof. I have enough timber there, just ran out of time to do it.

Here's the trail going in. Stand is about 1/4 mile from here.
[Linked Image]

Old logging road going into hunting area.
[img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tzone777/014-1.jpg[/img]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Took the swede out to the range Saturday to test out some loads. I was not having my best day but did find a load that shot well. I had 2 touching then blew the 3rd shot. Oh well, a deer won't know the difference.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's good. Were you shooting the 140's?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kinser
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
So, when are you going to do a feature film up there? Something like "Chickenbuck in da Moonlight" laugh? It oughta be at least as good and funnier than Jeff Daniel's "Escanaba in da Moonlight" crazy.

I passed my copy around the shop, and the local boys didn't much like it, they don't get the whole "Deer Camp" thing that you Northerners have going on. Too regional for them, they don't quite think that way you Yankees do.

I'm sorta with them, I don't get 'ice fishing' when it's -40, but hey, you're just making the best outa what you got. I can understand that, and applaud it.

In case you've missed the Jeff Daniels movie, go get it, quick like, it's funnier than it needs to be. smile
Have you ever been ice fishing ? I enjoy it myself sitting in the shack with the heat on and putting down a few cans of smart juice grin Plus you get to catch fish sometimes too ! LOL

Nope, we can't do ice fishing here in Kentucky, or northern Missouri, where I grew up, either. Ice doesn't get thick enough for my fat butt to get out on it, no friggin' way. It just doesn't get cold enough, for long enough, for that to happen.

The last few years, we could deer hunt in tennis shoes if we wanted to do so, and some of us did. It just doesn't get that cold (although, to hear the local folks, it's bitterly cold at +15, let alone 0.
I still deer hunt in MO, as I have a lot of family there, but even in MO, it's been awfully warm the last few years. Easy to sit, but too warm, nonetheless.
Doesn't look too promising for this year, either, here it is mid-October, and no frost here yet. We might have to use DEET in November if it doesn't cool off.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep, it was the 140's. Looks like the Hornady SST's will get the nod over the Sierras.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Word here is that the ticks are still pretty bad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We got the one side of the cabin shingled. The other side will get done next year. Jeremy and his buddy who has his own construction company were there early Saturday morning. CBF and Shane showed up a little later. I was the gopher. They had it all done by 2:00. Them guys did a great job. Me and dad got the pontoon out of the lake this morning. It was a good weekend.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Still have a few fall chores to do. A couple of windows that we wait as late as we can on and cleaning the gutters. Have to wait for mother nature to finish dropping leaves.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well we had a good weekend. I can't believe I forgot to take "after " pictures of the road. I got it fixed up pretty nice except for the first water hole.

Boy it is a really good ruff grouse year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I think we put 5 birds into a hearty timber chicken soup Sat night. Then we got 4 more today. One that we got today we actually took away from a hawk. grin Ruined his day!

Way more guns than I needed to bring, as usual.

[Linked Image]

Buschy & les came out to visit us Friday night, real fun visit. And we got some company Saturday night too, nice bonfire & everything. It's cool enough to burn the wood stove at night now too.

[Linked Image]

We fixed the road, fixed up a couple deer stands, did some bird hunting, great weekend.

Well, sometimes little boys don't have fun though, sometimes they pout and get mad & walk away.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But they don't stay cranky for long.

[Linked Image]

Shooting at a squirrel.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/102_5210.jpg[/img]

Weezy & I fixed up her stand a little with some spray paint.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/102_5199.jpg[/img]

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, page #1,000.

Looks like it was a good weekend at Chickenbuck.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by kinser
So, when are you going to do a feature film up there? Something like "Chickenbuck in da Moonlight" laugh? It oughta be at least as good and funnier than Jeff Daniel's "Escanaba in da Moonlight" crazy.

I passed my copy around the shop, and the local boys didn't much like it, they don't get the whole "Deer Camp" thing that you Northerners have going on. Too regional for them, they don't quite think that way you Yankees do.

I'm sorta with them, I don't get 'ice fishing' when it's -40, but hey, you're just making the best outa what you got. I can understand that, and applaud it.
I hear you ! I just live about 80 miles north of Louisville. We had a pretty decent frost here Friday night so hopefully it will be colder this year for deer season.
In case you've missed the Jeff Daniels movie, go get it, quick like, it's funnier than it needs to be. smile
Have you ever been ice fishing ? I enjoy it myself sitting in the shack with the heat on and putting down a few cans of smart juice grin Plus you get to catch fish sometimes too ! LOL

Nope, we can't do ice fishing here in Kentucky, or northern Missouri, where I grew up, either. Ice doesn't get thick enough for my fat butt to get out on it, no friggin' way. It just doesn't get cold enough, for long enough, for that to happen.

The last few years, we could deer hunt in tennis shoes if we wanted to do so, and some of us did. It just doesn't get that cold (although, to hear the local folks, it's bitterly cold at +15, let alone 0.
I still deer hunt in MO, as I have a lot of family there, but even in MO, it's been awfully warm the last few years. Easy to sit, but too warm, nonetheless.
Doesn't look too promising for this year, either, here it is mid-October, and no frost here yet. We might have to use DEET in November if it doesn't cool off.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
What kind of Savage are you shooting there ? 17 ?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Looks good dave. Are you guys getting all those birds right around the camp? You're really putting a dent in them.

I just have the two from last weekend. I had a chance at one yesterday but didn't connect. One flew out of the roost on my way down the logging road and but flew too far for me to go chasing after.

I'm beat, I'm going to have a bowl of fresh apple crisp, watch a little football, and go to bed.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah it's a savage, 17HMR. I shot 2 of the weekend birds from the cabin porch grin

Looking out the kitchen window and spotted them out in the "yard"

Pretty funny!

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They didn't fly into the cabin this time? laugh

I'm so excited, we are going to the Vikings game December 5th. Sixth row seats. Can't wait, I have never been to a Vikes game.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Did they win today ?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah they won. 24-21

Missy, we got a free bird from a hawk today. He was flying out in front of us as we were driving out in the forest. He had a grouse & he was having a hard time flying with the grouse. He landed on the road & we drove up and scared him off. The bird was a fresh kill, so I cleaned him and threw him in the cooler with the others.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep.

Page 500 of 1,842 1 2 498 499 500 501 502 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.