Hop To
Page 501 of 1,842 1 2 499 500 501 502 503 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Muffy
They didn't fly into the cabin this time? laugh

I'm so excited, we are going to the Vikings game December 5th. Sixth row seats. Can't wait, I have never been to a Vikes game.

I was gonna say we could car pool, but I'm going the next weekend. If you liked the Twins game, you'll love the Vikes. Get ready....it's loud!

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Yeah they won. 24-21

Missy, we got a free bird from a hawk today. He was flying out in front of us as we were driving out in the forest. He had a grouse & he was having a hard time flying with the grouse. He landed on the road & we drove up and scared him off. The bird was a fresh kill, so I cleaned him and threw him in the cooler with the others.

grin

That is just too funny!

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Muffy
Yeah they won. 24-21

Missy, we got a free bird from a hawk today. He was flying out in front of us as we were driving out in the forest. He had a grouse & he was having a hard time flying with the grouse. He landed on the road & we drove up and scared him off. The bird was a fresh kill, so I cleaned him and threw him in the cooler with the others.

grin

That is just too funny!

Funny, yes. Surprising? Not even a little bit. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just surprised you let the hawk go, musta been feeling charitable huh Dave? laugh

you have some interesting ways of getting game, I always say I'd rather be lucky than good, I guess a guy can be a bit of both.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Ryan! Are you taking the woman out for the antlerless season next week?

I was going to head to chickenbuck, but I have to help my FIL with some yard work he can't do. (heart issues) I hope I can do it, because I wrecked my back again on Saturday. Everything was fine, then I stepped into an un-seen hole and it went south from there.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What a great weekend really. I haven't made my annual swamp traverse with the mower yet but I need to give it a try soon. I like having that mowed path across the swamp because then if it gets to freeze temps at night the path freezes up really nice, way better than trying to walk left or right of the path, it really helps to let that cold air in with a mowed path. Makes it nice to get to that stand where Pam shot her spike buck last year.

I don't think the deer numbers are very good out around camp but that will hopefully change as it starts to cool off and now that the crops are off the fields that will help us some too. They seem to winter deeper into the forest once the crops are off and the temps cool off.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
ya know I didn't think of that, but its a great idea!
I think I will take her if its open around here, I'll look into it. it will give me something to do in soils class today laugh

Beet season ended for me saturday at 2am. in 2 weeks I logged 112 hours in the truck with 4 days we were shut down. I got caught up on my sleep and am looking forward to that paycheck! unfortunately its already spent

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah it's a savage, 17HMR. I shot 2 of the weekend birds from the cabin porch grin

Looking out the kitchen window and spotted them out in the "yard"

Pretty funny!

Dave, does that 17 damage a lot of meat or are you doing head shots?

Last edited by Grizzly_Bill; 10/18/10.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Are you seeing any buck sign yet dave? I saw a new rub at that spot north of Duluth, that wasn't there last week, but that was it. I also didn't look real hard.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Yeah it's a savage, 17HMR. I shot 2 of the weekend birds from the cabin porch grin

Looking out the kitchen window and spotted them out in the "yard"

Pretty funny!

Dave, does that 17 damage a lot of meat or are you doing head shots?

I can shoot bottle caps with that 17 so I do need to start taking head shots. I shot 2 in the body & the bullets I have for it right now are the 20 grain hollow points which litterally explode on impact crazy it's a hell of a feather show when you hit with that little bugger but sadly it doesn't just poke a pencil hole like a round nose rimfire frown

Not good.

Originally Posted by tzone
Are you seeing any buck sign yet dave? I saw a new rub at that spot north of Duluth, that wasn't there last week, but that was it. I also didn't look real hard.

No buck sign Tom, we went for a walk yesterday checking ground blinds and some of the trails that are normally littered with scrapes & rubs during rut and there is no sign of any of that yet.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think we're in the area where she can do the early doe season unfortunately, we'll be in 261

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
hey dave, my buddy has a do it yourself kit for drilling wells, all it requires is an air compressor and some water to move the materials. I think he's pretty well done with his project and I bet he'd part with it pretty cheap if you want to do a well at the camp. I might be able to get him to just loan it to us. he drilled his himself for about 500 bucks IIRC. just a thought

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A friend of mine had one that used water and it had a power head like an ice fishing auger. That one was pretty slick. I think I'm going to raise ours some & see if I can get some flow out of it. If not I'll auger down a peice of 4" pvc pipe with 1/8" holes drilled in it for capacity & we'll just pump out of that.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
his uses a pneumatic drill, the exhaust mixes with water and gets suctioned out the pipe that houses the drill. pretty slick. he has all the stuff, including some extra PVC. as far as I know he's done drilling after this project. it also uses an air eductor that can suck out rocks the size of golf balls like nothing

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow, that does sound like a neat rig.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
its really slick, pretty cool to run too. we ran into a catch 22, there was so much flowage in the vein we found on the beach ridge that it kept washing gravel and rock into the the bottom of the drill case, we took out a couple of yards of material and moved only a foot, so he has to find another location that allows us to go deeper to get the well case into without filling back in. but that rig was spitting gravel and rock like it was angry. had a settling tank to recycle the water back into the case.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That sounds like a mini version of what we sometimes use to drill "augered piling" for bridges.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just found CCI 20 gr FMJ on CCI's website. I'll have to look for those. They would be much more better for grouse.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finally have been home long enough to post a picture of my new scope. Not the best picture though.

[Linked Image]

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Looks like a deer whackin' machine to me.

Page 501 of 1,842 1 2 499 500 501 502 503 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.