-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
Nothing to do with elk hunting, but I have been using 250 gr. spire point Shock Waves in my 50 cal. T/C Omega. Kills great, but blood trails have been absolutely non existant.

Just bought a box of Hornady 240 gr. XTP. This bullet looks like it will produce a good trail. FYI, also bought Blackhorn 209 in lieu of my old Pyrodex pellets. Any experiences out there?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I shot a smallish 3x4 muley buck a couple weeks ago with my T/C Triumph, two 777 pellets, and a 250gr Shockwave. The buck was standing broadside on a slight uphill angle at a ranged 211 yards. After I reloaded and finally fought my way through the brush over to where he was standing when I shot, it looked like someone had dumped blood out of a bucket. He went maybe 50 yards and there was a blood trail on both sides of his escape route that Ray Charles could've followed. The shot was a complete pass through, and I was pretty impressed with the results!

My elk hunt starts on the 3rd of November and I plan to use the same combo. Might not be ideal, but it's too late in the game to change things now. I also can't imagine any elk within a couple hundred yards going very far with a 250gr Shockwave through the boiler-room. I've killed a lot of deer with 240gr XTP's and they've shot well out of every rifle I've tried them in, but I prefer something more aerodynamic.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think I would try the Barnes bullets, they are solid copper and in tests I've seen penetrated much deeper than any other bullets in the test including the TC shockwave, almost twice as much penetration.......Good luck..............Hillbilly.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I killed a New Mexico bull last week with 3 777 pellets & the Barnes 250gr T-EZ. The shot was 128 yards & hard quartering away. The bullet entered behind the last rib & exited just in front of the opposite shoulder.

I tried the shockwave as well, but my gun liked the Barnes better.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I think I would try the Barnes bullets, they are solid copper and in tests I've seen penetrated much deeper than any other bullets in the test including the TC shockwave, almost twice as much penetration.......Good luck..............Hillbilly.

I have used 250 grain shockwaves before on deer but never the barnes TEZ. I know that the last few weeks shooting them they(Barnes) group even better then the Shockwaves and I thought that was not possible. Great Bullet... I would like to try the 300 grain Thor on Elk if I can draw next year in colorado.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Killed my cow a week or so ago with a 250gr T/C Shockwave out of my Triumph, but won't be using them again for elk, as I wasn't real thrilled with the performance. Will probably start shooting the Barnes Expanders or TMZ's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I would have more confiedence in anything from Barnes over a Shockwave. The sharp cutting petals on the Barnes almost always produces an exit hole, even at hard angles.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Killed my cow a week or so ago with a 250gr T/C Shockwave out of my Triumph, but won't be using them again for elk, as I wasn't real thrilled with the performance. Will probably start shooting the Barnes Expanders or TMZ's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Try the 290 grain TEZ....I use the 250's on deer and while no dead deer YET......it shoots beautifully

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm done with Shockwaves, so will definitely check them out.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
A couple of mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an any bull permit and a cow tag in my pocket for a November hunt here in Utah. My T/C Triumph likes 250gr T/C Shockwaves and two 777 pellets. This combo hammers deer, but never having killed an elk with a ML, I'm wondering how it'll work on them?

I read an article in last years muzzleloader mag by tim herald about his ML elk load. He uses an encore with 250 grain shockwaves and three 777 pellets and had very good results.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian
I have an any bull permit and a cow tag in my pocket for a November hunt here in Utah. My T/C Triumph likes 250gr T/C Shockwaves and two 777 pellets. This combo hammers deer, but never having killed an elk with a ML, I'm wondering how it'll work on them?

I read an article in last years muzzleloader mag by tim herald about his ML elk load. He uses an encore with 250 grain shockwaves and three 777 pellets and had very good results.

Some guys have to push those who are paying the bills...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by fairchase
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian

Some guys have to push those who are paying the bills...

Yea, you're probably right. A guy can't believe everything he reads. It sure seems T/C spends alot of money on advertising. A big majority of outdoor show hosts has a T/C firearm of some sort in their hands.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I shot a bull at 45 yards a few years back with a bonded 300 grain Shockwave and 100 grains of American Pioneer. No pass through and very little/no expansion. Not sure if I have the bullet around still, but I will look and take a picture if I do. Bull went 30 yards, with no blood trail. Will probably not use them again, though they killed the bull.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,338
Posts18,526,811
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.