Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Does anybody run this stock with a heavy barrel? How do you like it? And if you have pics of an olive one with a black Cerakote barreled action that would be even better.

If Iam not hunting, Iam thinking about hunting.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a Remington, but I have Savage Hunter with a heavy Shilen barrel in 260. I like it well enough, but I'm technically challenged, so no pictures.

Jeff

G
GCF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Been wondering about this stock myself - but for a SS 700 sporter profile application.

Curious how it compares to their M40-A1 (HTG) ergonomically. I'm currently running a McM Classic, & was thinking it might offer a small advantage for off hand shooting. Comments?

Gary

Last edited by GCF; 10/19/10.

"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt!"
Regards - GCF
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Remington Hunter is a beefy fore-end of a stock.

I've got one on a Hart #5 contour barrel and that is about as small of a barrel as i would want on that stock.

At one point I had a Mag Contour barrel (about a #3) and it looked silly (to me).

I don't think a sporter contour would look very good.

I'll be posting some pictures on Wednesday night for another post and will try to remember to take some pictures of the Remington Hunter Stock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To my eyes, any barrel with a smaller/lighter contour than the Remington Varmint looks pretty small in a Remington Hunter's wide forearm. The Savage 11 that I have in a Savage Hunter has a Shilen varmint contour barrel and the stock isn't overwhelmed by this heavy barrel. I also have 2 Tikka Hunters with the 22" 700 LVSF barrels and 2 McMillan Hunters with the 24" 700 CDL-SF barrels that "fit" that thinner/narrower forearms.

Jeff

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GCF
Been wondering about this stock myself - but for a SS 700 sporter profile application.

Curious how it compares to their M40-A1 (HTG) ergonomically. I'm currently running a McM Classic, & was thinking it might offer a small advantage for off hand shooting. Comments?

Gary

i'd take a Classic over an HTG any day.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a bunch of McM stocks and I like the McM Hunter for off-hand shooting better than any other. The higher comb, geometry of the pistol-grip, and the palm-swell just fits me right, but right for me is unlikely to be right for you.

Jeff

G
GCF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by GCF

Gary

i'd take a Classic over an HTG any day.

Out of curiousity, what is it about the Classic that you prefer over the HTG?

It's not that I don't like the Classic, it's just that I'm thinking a higher comb might make for a quicker off hand target acquisition. Problem is, $450 - $500 is a lot of money to find out.

The straight comb stocks (Mountain), & the slightly canted (Classic) stocks seem to be more "popular" - for what ever reason. Cleaner / more minimalist profile - for sure.

Ergonomics are a funny thing though. Doesn't matter how much the general shooting public like a particular platform, as 260Remguy points out, no single design can be all things - to all people. Buddy of mine loves the McM BDL, & thumb hole models. I wouldn't own either... ;=]

Last edited by GCF; 10/19/10.

Regards - GCF
G
GCF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have a bunch of McM stocks and I like the McM Hunter for off-hand shooting better than any other. The higher comb, geometry of the pistol-grip, and the palm-swell just fits me right, but right for me is unlikely to be right for you.

Jeff

So what it your take on the M40A1 / HTG?

Regards - GCF
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GCF
[quote=toad]

Out of curiousity, what is it about the Classic that you prefer over the HTG? [quote]

It's not that I don't like the Classic, it's just that I'm thinking a higher comb might make for a quicker off hand target acquisition. Problem is, $450 - $500 is a lot of money to find out.

The straight comb stocks (Mountain), & the slightly canted (Classic) stocks seem to be more "popular" - for what ever reason. Cleaner / more minimalist profile - for sure.

the comb on the HTG is so low, i had to put a stock pack and two layers of foam on it. it is the only McM stock i've tried that i pretty much hate.

for a heavy barreled gun i went with the A1-3 (top) and the Classic is second from the top followed by two MR stocked rifles. i sold the HTG.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not a tactical shooter, had enough tactical during my Army tour, so I've never owned any tactical style of stock.

Jeff

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
30" #8 Lilja

[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Left to right -

Hart #5 contour in a McM Remington Hunter Stock (Black with Gray Specks)

Hart #5 contour (fluted) in a McM Remington Classic Stock (Olive)

Weatherby Vanguard Factory Contour in a McM Sako Hunter Stock (Gray with Black Specks)

All barreled actions are cerakote that my gunsmith calls "dead flat black"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for poor quality of the 2nd picture. Middle rifle is canted a little in that one too.

Last edited by shortmagfan; 10/20/10.
G
GCF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
Left to right -

Hart #5 contour in a McM Remington Hunter Stock (Black with Gray Specks)

Hart #5 contour (fluted) in a McM Remington Classic Stock (Olive)

Weatherby Vanguard Factory Contour in a McM Sako Hunter Stock (Gray with Black Specks)

All barreled actions are cerakote that my gunsmith calls "dead flat black"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for poor quality of the 2nd picture. Middle rifle is canted a little in that one too.

Thanks for putting these up. Like the man said, 1 picture is worth 1000 words. Can't see the McM Rem Hunter working w/ a sporter profile barrel. Not mine anyway...

Really too bad that McM does not post both top & side profile pics on their web site. Probably save a new customer a whole lot of aggrevation.

I'd be very interested in seeing comparable top profile photos, of a M40A1 stock - if anyone has any.

Regards - GCF
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yeah that remington hunter is relegated to the rifle i shoot mostly off the bench while the classic is the one that will go to the field with me typically.

i just got the classic yesterday and really like it.

wish they would make a classic style with a palm swell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

That is my #3 Pac-Nor contour (about a magnum sporter)in a McMillan Remington Hunter. It is my favorite stock for shooting off-hand. Of the stocks I own I rank them in this order for fit and off-hand shooting:

Hunter
Classic
Mountain Rifle
BDL Varmint

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
#2437 Rem Hunter 50% Purple 25% Grey 25% White Marble, RH S700 Rem BDL F/P, #3 Douglas B/C with 1.25" Cylinder 1" Dec Pad, 13.25" LOP 2 SS Studs 2 Pillars $400.00

Wish I would've seen your pictures earlier with the wide forend. Don't know if I'm going to like such a wide forend. My 700 SA has a E R Shaw 20" #3 contour with a 2" cylinder. I'll just have to open up the shank area a little bit. I'll just give it a try and see how it looks. Should be a nice looking stock with purple. Caliber is in the 358 Win. I'll post a picture when it's done. Should have it next week.

Ken

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa abortions running rampant here.

Too many Textbook examples of how NOT to build...that it's a comedy of errors.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not my style to hit perfection on the first try. wink Though it was close enough to be real useful for what I had in mind.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa ways to skin a cat,but I always start at it's azz.

The Hunter is a skookum handle..............

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, 3333vl, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 11 invisible), 13,962 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,250
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.