Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ok I installed the furnace, I frigg'n hate copper tubing and had issues (didn't get that done) but I got the furance installed in a framed box, that will also hold the battery to run the furnace.

First I made a box out of plywood and 2x4's so I can put anything I want on it. It's 2 feet deep and almost 3 feet wide. After that I put a divider in it, and mounted the furnace in that, slid it up to the side wall and marked where I'd have to put the exhuast. cut the hole for the duct box, and then installed it from the outside (box vent and exhaust vent). Then I slid here together, and screwed the box to the floor and wall so she's fixed hard in place.

Here is me laying things our in the front left of the v-nose
[Linked Image]

box is made
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Install the furnace in the box w/divider
[Linked Image]

Marking the wall for the exhaust port duct work
[Linked Image]

cutting the hole for the exhaust
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10107821.JPG[/img]

I didn't tank any picture of it after I put it together, I was too fustrated trying to run the copper tubing for the LP gas.

Spot

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
THe box you built is good and strong. The very first thing I did after my build was to ram the Honda into the front bed inadvertantly, framed the same as your heater box. That 500+ lb scooter just bounced off. You'll be happy with it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

spotshooter:

A 20# propane tank can run one of those little furnaces for several nights but I suggest that you get another battery and hook the two in parallel because that little squirrel cage fan will run down the battery in just one night. Even with two batteries, I suggest that you use the furnace sparingly.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or use the single battery and get a small generator that can charge the battery in the early evening and run the furnace during that time, then switching when its time to get some sleep. That is how I have handled it with my tent camper. To alleviate the noise of the generator build a box with an open side that faces away from you, lets the engine have air and deflects the sound. You can also run electric lights through the evening, unless your into the ambiance of the true camping experience.

Another idea is to get a solar panel to charge the battery during the day, only drawback is cloudy days and getting covered by snow.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spotshooter,

Looks like you and I have similar projects! I just purchased a 7x14 v-nose, Haulmark, and I have just started the conversion!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
KC -

I've got a solar pannel, and a generator that charges 12 volt batteries. Getting a second one isn't a bad Idea.. Might go that route.
I need to check the size of the box to see if it'll fit two.

Reloader28 - Yep, I've seen 2-3 bang up jobs so I built the sucker like a rock.

Colo Wolf - I need to see where to mount the solar pannel I've got, definitely a good thing to have as you mentioned.

Sactoller,
This campers only 6x12 V-nose, I've only got a dual cab tacoma so this is the biggest thing I want to pull with it. A 7x14 would have been better, but it also would have been bigger than my truck. I got my 18k Atwood furnace NIB off Ebay, they were on sale..

Spot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure if you are aware of this site, lots of good information!

teardrops!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I looked at all kinds of stuff, most of them won't let you haul much, and if so they don't allow the stuff to be kept out of the rain, or locked up- but a cargo trailer does both.

Plus the price is right for a cargo trailer - typically 4-7k depending upon how you rig it up.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
looks good

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

BTW - lesson learned on the copper tubing, a bending tool is only 12 bucks, and most folks have a propane bottle & torch.

A 20 foot roll of copper tubing is 35 bucks..

Spot

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=6fa97faac0e6ad8d9fd9b17bfad48f89

Some other fabricators.

I have a solar panel that I orient toward the sun vs. hard mount on the trailer. Just some little legs that snap on.

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You need to put a small vent in the battery compartment as well. When the battery is charging it will offgas hydrogen. Might not be a great idea next to the heater.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Mlaux,

I drilled some hole for that, in a way to get the fumes moving away from the furnace compartment.

I need to mount my solar coleman battery charger now, and I'll be in good shape.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Update -

Furnace gas line & thermostat are in.

I even re-ran the overhead (inside) cab lights to the furnace battery vs. the breakaway battery.

I'm working on the bed frame now, I'll have it done in this weekend. Problem is the camera broke so I'll have to use a different camera.

Spot

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.