Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am thinking about getting into reloading, what would be a good press to start with? I want to buy a very good quality press. Thanks in advance for any help.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The cadilac in my opinion is the forester Co-ax. But a great press for a lot less is either the hornady lock n load, or the RCBS Rock Chucker supreme. Can't go wrong with any of these. Just my 2 cents

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lee Classic Cast

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What RBH said. Redding Ultramag is excellent for long chamberings like Rem Ultramags, 378 Weatherbys and such.

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got 2 Lyman's, one is over 30 years old and still going strong.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an ancient RCBS that is still going strong. There are alot of good ones to choose from though, and if I were to buy another one, the Redding turret press would get a serious looksee.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee Classic Cast

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
RCBS Rock Chucker.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Should have seen that one coming. Everyone has their favorite and you really can't go wrong with the suggestions or products on the market today. Instead of telling which one, how about some characteristics. I own 1 RCBS and 2 Lee presses. I prefer the cam over operation of the RCBS over the Lee. With the Lee you get more of a "feel" for sizing cases. The foster co-axe doesn't require shell holders.

Most companies have starter kits. With the exception of one company, these kits don't come with dies. You'll probably want/need a few other goodies (calipers, loading manuals, headspace gauges, etc.). For some a chronograph is a nice-to-have; for others its a nessessity. I fall closer to the need category.

You didn't mention if you were going to load rifle, shot, or handgun, so I'll throw in the Dillion 650 progressive press for handgun loading. Yes, you can load rifle rounds with a progressive press, but here again my personal perferance is to single stag those loads.

I strayed from your orignal question but I hope to have brought something to the party.

Have a great day

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut
RCBS Rock Chucker.......

Hard to argue with that.

Been grinding them out on a Rock Chucker for a lot of years now, with zero problems.

It's all that most guys will ever need, and more.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Take your pick in no particular order:

Redding Big Boss I or II
RCBS RockChuckerII
Hornady Lock N Load
(There are others too, these are just what I'm familiar with.)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One very easy way to get into reloading is to start with the Lee Anniversary Kit, and a set of dies for your cartridge. The challenger press included is very good unless you are going to reload a 50BMG. Then you need the Classic Cast. The good part about the kit is that you get virtually everything you need at a very reasonable cost. Components that you are not happy with can then be upgraded as you gain experience.

In my opinion, the press is not the key part of reloading. It is really about the finer points, such as using a hand primer to seat the primers precisely, instead of bulling them in with a press. And, using a powder measure that is reliable to feed the powder to the powder scale, for the final measure to get the exact weight each time. Also often measuring tools get overlooked. You need an accurate 6" vernier, and 1" micrometer that measures to tenths. But, again you can add these tools as you gain experience.

I guess my point is that you are probably a lot better off getting all the tools, rather than dumping a bunch of $$'s into an expensive press. Somebody that has a much more modest press but good technique and measuring tools is going to produce the better reloads.

Loading dies are another matter, and I do think you get some return in getting better ones. The Lee collet dies are great for target ammo, but not sure about hunting. Forster make quality dies, as does Redding. However like RCBS, I think Redding wants too much for their name.

You can easily spend a lot of dollars on reloading equipment without getting much value in return. Here is a good practical article to read to put things in perspective as to what is necessary, and what is nice to have -- depending on your purpose.

http://www.optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/tools-of-the-trade/4529825076

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=Ron_AKA]...
I guess my point is that you are probably a lot better off getting all the tools, rather than dumping a bunch of $$'s into an expensive press. Somebody that has a much more modest press but good technique and measuring tools is going to produce the better reloads....
You can easily spend a lot of dollars on reloading equipment without getting much value in return..."

That probably should be set up so that it appears at the top of every post in the reloading forum.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for all the info, it is all welcome and helpful as I have never reloaded. I already have a Starrett electronic Caliper, Starrett micrometer, and Starrett depth gauge. Not sure if there is a need for the depth gauge but I have one already so either way no big deal. I have a Hornady case trimmer and a Hornady case tumbler that a guy I work with gave me. So now just need to fill in the missing blanks. I understand everyone has there favorites but I see a few names recurring over and over. So I don't think I could go that wrong with any of those.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This would be my suggested list for a quality reloading setup, if you want to go the piece by piece route:

- Lee Classic Cast Press
- Forster basic dies for hunting, or the Bushing/Bump sizer, and Ultra Seating die for target quality loads
- Lee shell holders
- Redding Model 2 or RCBS model 505 balance beam scales (whichever is less expensive). I have the Redding Model 1 which is oil damped instead of magnetic, and it has lasted 50 years.
- Lee Hand Priming tool
- Lee Perfect Powder measure (only to pre measure the powder into the scale pan)
- Lee primer pocket cleaner
- Lee case mouth bevel tool
- Lee or Lyman powder funnel. Nice to have one that does not roll off the bench.
- Lyman or just about any brand of powder trickler
- I like the Lee case trimming system with the attachment for a drill. The mini lathe trimmers like you have do work, but they can be a bit of a pain to set up, and you can make mistakes in length. The Lee is fast and virtually fool proof.

That is really about all you need, along with the measuring tools you already have.

Some nice to haves:

- Bullet comparator (Hornady)
- Hornady (Stony Point) OAL to lands measurement system. However if you are careful you can use a split neck case and accomplish the same thing with no tools other than your vernier.
- Concentricity measurement system - Hornady sells them, I believe as an attachment to your case trimmer set up.

These three consecutive groups were shot at 100 meters with ammo loaded with this quality of equipment, and I don't have any of the stuff on the nice to have list.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go with the Forster Co-Ax if I were just starting out - I bought one a year ago and my Rockchucker is now sold, I just like it that much better and the concentricity on ammo is better, I'm also using almost exclusively Forster dies. The Ultra Seater is not necessary, nice, but not necessary, the standard Forster BR set features the same quality and concentricity, it just doesn't have the micrometer for adjusting seating depth. I have the Ultra for my .308 and 6PPC, very nice. I also have tried several different powder measures, the Lyman #55 is my favorite by far, though I haven't had the privilege of using or owning a Harrell's. I love my Ohaus 505 scale.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I broke a RC II, they replaced it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, I'll bite. How in the world do you BREAK an RCII?!?!?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.