-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I successfully hunted Black Bear over bait with Slipp Brothers, Ltd. in Hoyt, New Brunswick last week. It was my second time bear hunting with Ron and Duane and I now have two bears. The second day of a five day hunt saw a nice bear come to the bait right at dusk and one shot from my 30-06 was all that was needed. My bear was an 8 to 10 year old sow that weighed 262 ponds on the camp scale and was the second largest sow shot in the camps 28 year history. My hunting partner also shot a nice bear that same evening and had several other bears come the bait barrel.

The Slipp Brothers run an excellent camp that includes three meals a day and very nice sleeping accommodations. The Slipp brothers had 16 rifle hunters and four bow hunters this season. All the rifle hunters shot bear and two of the bow hunters were successful. The other two bow hunters saw bear but either failed to shoot or missed. The Slipp brothers were also three for three with moose during the three day New Brunswick season.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
This thread is useless without PICTURES! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of ironic as most (by far) bear hunting done here in NB is done by non-resident hunters. Hardly any locals here hunt them.

Glad to hear the hunt went well and your stay here was a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is very interesting. Why would that be Paul???

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cause by and large, Canucks are meat hunters -- and bear meat, though tasty, is awful greasy when there is so much better meat to be had. And they're really no challenge to "hunt." Throw a box of donuts out in the woods, and sit in a tree stand nearby. You'll either attract some bears or some smokey the bears. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
That is very interesting. Why would that be Paul???

Not quite sure, but it seems to be an eastern thing as bear hunting is more popular out west with resident hunters.

As mentioned, it could be the "meat hunter" line of thought as a lot of folks here aren't crazy with the idea of eating bear. I guess we'd rather eat deer and moose instead. I've never eaten it, but would.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
And they're really no challenge to "hunt." Throw a box of donuts out in the woods, and sit in a tree stand nearby.

I don't think that it as there's lots of hunters here that bait deer and would happily shoot one under the easiest of circumstances.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are not allowed to bait for bear here in New York State. Hunting by cutting track and stalking a feeding area is about as challenging as anything I have ever seen. MUCHO luck helps a lot.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
We are not allowed to bait for bear here in New York State. Hunting by cutting track and stalking a feeding area is about as challenging as anything I have ever seen. MUCHO luck helps a lot.

The bear here are very elusive. After living here for more than 25 years, I've never seen one while hunting and have only seen 4 while driving. Baiting is the only way to go with them.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spammer be gone.

Where are you hunting in N.B.? I see a bear pretty much every fall while hunting whitetail in Carlton Co., near Kenneth. The buggers love to eat my deer bait! I know 'cause I have them on film...
I don't shoot them because I don't eat them. Simple.
I mostly still hunt and twice have had a bear come right at me out of the bush, once while 'draining the dragon'...they weren't coming for me, just didn't smell me and certainly didn't see me until they were within 20ft. Then a big 'WOOF', backflip and gone into the hole in the bush they came out of...
I have seen them in the old orchards and in the winter wheat fields...seems there are more every year, perhaps a high cycle.

Jim

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either...
S
OP Offline
S
Hunting bear in Hoyt, New Brunswick.

Silver Bear

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 49 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.