Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
any thoughts on a small ax for carving and what not ant one ever use a a gerber back pax or a firestone ax need one that will keep a sharp edge and is easy too handle.

thnx bob.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bought a small double bit for my wife. She LIKES to cut her own stove wood but my bigger axes are too heavy for her.

A cruisers axe bay be about the right size for you. It is the one on the right comaired to a fallers axe on the left.
[Linked Image]

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
very nice but need some thing just a bit smaller

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't know how much you want to spend, but Woodcarvers Supply has a Swedish carving axe, 12" long for 179.00. Generally, you are looking around 100.00 for a good one. The Louisiana carvers do a lot of roughing out with an axe, as Tupelo works well with edge tools when green. Maybe check out Curt's Waterfowl Corner 1-800-523-8474. He's in Louisiana, and a heck of a good guy. All the big boys buy from Curt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why burn a camo pattern into an axe handle?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you are referring to my falling axe it was a bad torch job. You burn a handle to harden it just like they did to baseball bats. It is a standard practice in days gone by according to my 1800's blacksmithing books.

You fit the head, sand the handle, burn the handle, scrape with a cabinet scraper then soak for a week in linseed oil. I was teaching someone and they were having a hard time keeping the torch even.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one of these Estwing Hand Axes and I love it. Just the right size and weight. Very handy and durable. Made in U.S.A.

Attached Images
Estwing.jpg (7.78 KB, 1309 downloads)

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by rmorgan736
any thoughts on a small ax for carving and what not ant one ever use a a gerber back pax or a firestone ax need one that will keep a sharp edge and is easy too handle.

thnx bob.

Bob, on Ebay occasionally you can find a small blue headed mini axe that was meant for preparing small game....they are no longer manufactured and are only to be had second hand.

The steel is quite a bit harder than what is normal for wood.....which would lend itself well to working with your soft woods.

They really are on the small size, but be prepared to fork out US $50-60.00 as they are eagerly sought after.

Additional info...

Or you can simply cut down a Plumb Scout axe and a Norlund, re-haft and make a couple of sheaths.....if you are as miserable as I am with money!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw tactical axes advertised the other day. I assume that means that they come with a Picanniny rail.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gransfors Brux are absolutely top notch. Find their website and look them over, they are excellent.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
+1 on GB axes. They are nice.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Gransfors Brux are absolutely top notch. Find their website and look them over, they are excellent.

If anybody finds themselves in Sweden, Gransfors Bruks welcomes visitors. Gransfors Bruks They even have workshops on forging and log home building which are not expensive.

Very nice folks who take real pride in their work! I chatted with one of the 'smiths (in Swedish) but when he heard my English accent he immediate switched to English. Swedes are very polite!

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've a dozen or so GB's and they are without peer..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These small Wetterlings are nice. They hold a good edge, and are very sturdy. Swedish made, American Hickory handles, and their quality is every bit as good as GB.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/23/10.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice. Looks like I ain't the only early riser around here. You have to take one of your oaks down in your back yard? That sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by no_one
Originally Posted by rmorgan736

thnx bob.

Bob, on Ebay occasionally you can find a small blue headed mini axe that was meant for preparing small game....they are no longer manufactured and are only to be had second hand.

The steel is quite a bit harder than what is normal for wood.....which would lend itself well to working with your soft woods.

They really are on the small size, but be prepared to fork out US $50-60.00 as they are eagerly sought after.

Additional info...

Or you can simply cut down a Plumb Scout axe and a Norlund, re-haft and make a couple of sheaths.....if you are as miserable as I am with money!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've got one that looks just like the one in the bottom photo .It belonged to an uncle and I got it with no handle . I finally found a correct handle and have used it several years for skinning hogs .In really cold weather I also use it for deer since I can keep gloves on .

I keep a razor edge on it so it's never used for cutting wood or bone . . I sharpen it with a file and finish off with a stone .I had a sheath made for it by the guy who makes my boots .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I cut both of the hafts out of broken axe handles....the judicious use of an angle grinder and a flap disk did the work required.

Like I said....I am miserable with my coin.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The smallest hatchet i have found is made by moore maker of matador texas. Almost looks like a toy but good steel and will really take an edge. I carry one in my back pack in case i have to field dress a bull elk before i can get back to my horse where i carry an estwing mid size[about 17"].

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, now you guys have got me thinking. I am firing up the forge today, got some RR steel, pretty good stuff. Let's see if I can forge a double bit that will fit in a shirt pocket.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (37L1, Anaconda, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 16,624 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,195
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.