Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Swampman700
This news is over 20 years old. You guys took the bait though.

Swampy...I'm a little disappointed that you didn't share your knowledge of the weak design of the trigger on the best gun in the world...next you're gonna tell us that the Banner line of Bushnell has a flaw.... frown....say it ain't so swampy...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colo Wolf:

Ten thousanths (.010") is what my retired gunsmith friend considers the minimum safe sear engagement on a hunting trigger on a 700 (classic trigger). He did several of my triggers over the years. I also had several done by Jim Pigg in Wyoming. I've never had any problems.

My point was that people who don't know what they are doing should leave them alone. I remember watching college buddies mess with theirs (before there was any help from the internet). Sometimes the results were very unsafe. They were playing with all three screws. Most of the internet instructions today tell folks not to touch the sear engagement screw. And they point out which one that is.

When it comes to important safety issues I seek out an experienced professional, whether it involves a trigger, car, airplane, home electrical system, or a surgeon. There are many areas where money can be saved by doing my own work. There are some areas where I feel good money is well spent.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington: Making a POS product for over forty years that morons like Swampdick keep buying.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the answer nifty, was just asking to see.

Jorge- you calling me a moron for buying a rem 20 years ago and still have and shoot?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They ain't a popular choice for those that only pay to hunt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, any gun you want is fine, I just resent being called a moron.. my parents raised an idiot... I have a letter from my father telling me that they raised an idiot!

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always amazing how something that sells in the millions has a few failures.

Personally, I have shot at least 100,000 rounds through Remington 700's, and maybe twice that. I've also watched other people shoot at least 100,000 rounds through 700's. Never have seen a discharge other than when I pulled the trigger--though I did see somebody else's 700 "cook off" a round when the barrel got extremely hot during a prairie dog hunt.

Did see somebody else's 700 go off prematurely. They claimed their finger wasn't on the trigger, but the rifle was on shoting sticks and the shooter wasn't experienced. I couldn't tell from my angle.

Have never had a 700 extractor break, or a bolt handle come off--or seen either happen. No doubt it does, though.

I've even hunted dangerous game with a 700--and lived!

I watched the show and it was more journalistically balanced than I expected. But the producers/writers/etc. were also typically ignorant of firearms, and obviously so.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
As a Remington warranty 'smith, I saw quite a few of these rifles which would fire when the safety was released if the trigger was pulled and released while the safety was on. So, it did happen. I am convinced it was a quality control issue rather than a design issue. In some cases, it was the result of unusually excessive wear on the safety and/or sear. GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Remington: Making a POS product for over forty years that morons like Swampdick keep buying.

Does that include the Marine Corp and Army?

There's always the first time a person like yourself has no clue as to what they are talking about.

Only a moron would buy into a NBC report.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always hated safeties that lock the bolt as well as the pin. It is difficult to adjust a trigger for short sear engagement and proper safety function, lots of people can't do it right. Sometimes you have to give up crispy for safe.
Once the sear is allowed to move over the hump, or is booted off the hump by that wayward trigger finger....but I think these people suing Remington -- shouldn't. Guns are an operator-responsibility-dependent system.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've seen the problem a few times. I would say the problem is caused by mixture of oil and solvents in the trigger assembly, I've often wondered what concoction of chemicals caused this condition but the consistancy reminds me of the topping on a carmel roll.

I would recommend any rifle over 25 years old should have the trigger completely disassembled and cleaned.

Any other rifles should be inspected. Remove the bolt and look to see if there is any "gummieness" present around the trigger assembly. Leave the rifle in the cold overnight, double check to make sure the rifle is unloaded, put the safety in the safe position, pull the trigger and release it slowly, now flip the safety to fire. If it fires you got a problem.

Make sure your gunsmith has the experience to completely disassemble a trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
As a Remington warranty 'smith, I saw quite a few of these rifles which would fire when the safety was released if the trigger was pulled and released while the safety was on. So, it did happen. I am convinced it was a quality control issue rather than a design issue. In some cases, it was the result of unusually excessive wear on the safety and/or sear. GD

I was able to repeat my failure doing exactly that.

Simple solution, IMHO, is a Shilen or Timney. Done.

Last edited by sir_springer; 10/22/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Thanks for the answer nifty, was just asking to see.

Jorge- you calling me a moron for buying a rem 20 years ago and still have and shoot?

Of course not, if that were the case, I'd be calling myself that when I bought mine in 22-250. Sorry you misunderstood my obvious attempt at trolling.. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35

Does that include the Marine Corp and Army?

There's always the first time a person like yourself has no clue as to what they are talking about.

Only a moron would buy into a NBC report.

Did you SEE the report? This issue has been around for years and I don't need NBC to tell me what I need to know. Obviously there have been MILLIONS of 700s sold and from a statistical perspective this is insignificant, but it DOES happen. As far as the Armed Forces is concerned(BTW it's Marine CORPS) Remington came in with the lowest bid and the rifles are completely rebuilt. Bottom line is there is an entire cottage industry centered around trigger, extractor and bolt handle strenghtening products. Don't recall ever seeing that about Model 70s. Yep, very few incidents indeed, but somebody's paid a price and so has Remington in many settlements. Sorry I struck a nerve on your rifle predilections... jorge

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 2cents. Remington triggers can be adjusted with new springs and not messing with the sear.Lay the deaths at the feet of the nimrod who adjusted the trigger.If you are not capable of pulling the trigger assembly apart to do it correctly,pay a good Gunsmith to do it for you.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry I struck a nerve on your rifle predilections... jorge

Hey, no problem! LOL

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
]
Originally Posted by djs
The story showed a video made by Maine Police officers firing a Model 700 by just touching the safety. The US Army and Marines have experienced similar problems. Mike Walker, the designer of the rifle (now in his 90's) designed a new trigger to correct the problem 40 years ago but Remington decided not to offer it.

There are just too many documented stories to say this is an isolated incident. A safety is very important for all - the shooter, those down-range and the public (who do not need more anti-gun stories to feed their mis-conceptions!).

This is something that Remington needs to fix.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Why hasn't Remington issued a total recall?! Maybe b/c of $$$$ - their company wants them to go public IPO in the next year- that's probably why! It would cost them too much to recall their products and it would risk their initial public offering and drastically reduce potential investors!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
]
Originally Posted by djs
The story showed a video made by Maine Police officers firing a Model 700 by just touching the safety. The US Army and Marines have experienced similar problems. Mike Walker, the designer of the rifle (now in his 90's) designed a new trigger to correct the problem 40 years ago but Remington decided not to offer it.

There are just too many documented stories to say this is an isolated incident. A safety is very important for all - the shooter, those down-range and the public (who do not need more anti-gun stories to feed their mis-conceptions!).

This is something that Remington needs to fix.

How do you know what was done to these triggers to make them do that? Suggesting Remington fix every trigger AFTER Bubba been there be BS!

So far, every claim of accidental misfires that caused injury has been unrepeatable at Remington. Jack Belk was unable to duplicate any of the complaint 700s... And testified to the effect.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Why hasn't Remington issued a total recall?! Maybe b/c of $$$$ - their company wants them to go public IPO in the next year- that's probably why! It would cost them too much to recall their products and it would risk their initial public offering and drastically reduce potential investors!

What meds did you skip at breakfast?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.